tps data extraction or data recovery
Author Message
 tps data extraction or data recovery

Hello,
    We had a custom clarion application created and now the developer is out
of business and no where to be found. What we need is to get data from a tps
file into a simple csv or ascii format.

Any ideas, we have no idea what version he used, where the source code is or
the data structures. We just have the application and tps files.

Thanks,

Kevin

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 tps data extraction or data recovery
Kevin

I'm assuming that the program you have will not export the data to
another format that you can read.  You have a couple of options.  Buy
Clarion or pay a Clarion developer to convert the files to the desired
format.  If you buy Clarion it will be able to import the TPS files and
then convert them to any of the several types of formats Clarion
supports.  If you want to hire someone to do it just announce the fact
and I'm sure you will get several responses. I would be willing to do
it.  If you are interested in having me do it send a private e-mail to

Gary

Quote:

> Hello,
>     We had a custom clarion application created and now the developer is out
> of business and no where to be found. What we need is to get data from a tps
> file into a simple csv or ascii format.

> Any ideas, we have no idea what version he used, where the source code is or
> the data structures. We just have the application and tps files.

> Thanks,

> Kevin

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 tps data extraction or data recovery
If you are considering maintaining the application, then a clarion
programmer is necessary, if you would like to convert the data to another
application it is possible that the data will have to be rebuilt, since the
files may have complex relationships. Bottom line, get a clarion programmer
who is experienced and has references.

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 tps data extraction or data recovery
Hoping that the developer did not encrypt the file.

Quote:
> Kevin

> I'm assuming that the program you have will not export the data to
> another format that you can read.  You have a couple of options.  Buy
> Clarion or pay a Clarion developer to convert the files to the desired
> format.  If you buy Clarion it will be able to import the TPS files and
> then convert them to any of the several types of formats Clarion
> supports.  If you want to hire someone to do it just announce the fact
> and I'm sure you will get several responses. I would be willing to do
> it.  If you are interested in having me do it send a private e-mail to

> Gary

> > Hello,
> >     We had a custom clarion application created and now the developer is
out
> > of business and no where to be found. What we need is to get data from a
tps
> > file into a simple csv or ascii format.

> > Any ideas, we have no idea what version he used, where the source code
is or
> > the data structures. We just have the application and tps files.

> > Thanks,

> > Kevin

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 tps data extraction or data recovery
Topspeed key escrow.

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 tps data extraction or data recovery
Kevin,
How big of a database is it? Not just file size, but number of records,
number of files, complexity of files. If this is a small, straight
forward system (Something like a name and address book), you be able to
get the work done rather quickly and with a minimum of fuss. Now if its
a 300 meg, 147 file, 1+ million record general ledger, you will most
definitly want a Clarion programmer to work with your IT department to
extract the data.

If you can post what you are trying to do with the data, we can give you
better advice. If you can tell us the scope of this project, we can give
you better leads. If you can also post where (Physically) the data is
located, we can help get you a programmer in your area.

HTH!

Quote:

> Hello,
>     We had a custom clarion application created and now the developer
> is out of business and no where to be found. What we need is to get
> data from a tps file into a simple csv or ascii format.

> Any ideas, we have no idea what version he used, where the source code
> is or the data structures. We just have the application and tps files.

> Thanks,

> Kevin

Tue, 25 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 tps data extraction or data recovery
Key question:  are the files passworded? ("owner" attribute)  Second question:
are you literally telling us they are TopSpeed format *.TPS or do you include
the earlier Clarion *.DAT format?  Or are they another format which Clarion
reads?

For ordinary unprotected files, Clarion can quite easily read in the structure
and then produce the code used in conversion.  You can have Clarion do the
conversion OR write a program to do it.  In the latter case, you keep the
conversion program to use over and over as long as the file format remains the
same.

Anyone here could do it for you -- e.g. you email us the files and we email the
converted info back.  How big are they in zipped format?  (which will be MUCH
smaller than present disk space used)

If they are passworded, then count me out--I'm no talent at breaking hidden
codes.

Next thought:  what do you want to do with the csv/ascii output?  If you want to
develop the functionality of the old program, it could possibly be not too
difficult to LOOK AT the old program and re-code it for you--just like the
people who listen to old movie sound tracks in order to come up with written
scores for the music (because the studio threw away all the printed scores).
Clarion does so much for us that this might be fairly easy.  If the former
programmer loved to do special tricks, there may be features that would take a
newcomer (nearly) forever to figure out.  However, you might have someone look
at the running application to judge whether it is all simple "straight out of
the box" Clarion behavior.  In that case, one would use DM to read in the data
structures, play around on screen a little, press a few buttons, and have
something to test and improve in fairly short order.

--

Kent V. Busse, J.D.; A:COMPUTER.WIZ
Custom Software Development Laboratory

Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Data Recovery SOURCE CODE ( SOURCE CODES of Professional Data Recovery Software )

2. TPS file recovery utility/TPS ODBC problem

3. Data Extraction

4. Extraction of data from Clarion 2.1 for DOS to Access 97

5. data extraction from screen or text file

6. Help please/Data extraction from Lotus for clipper

7. Server-client-development / Data-extraction without databaseaccess

8. File Data Extraction Approach

9. data recovery

10. Recovery (data) of an old clipper program

11. Looking for CFD Data Recovery program or two caskets

12. CIH AND DATA RECOVERY