Two dictionaries sharing one file
Author Message
 Two dictionaries sharing one file

Could one expect any problems having two dictionaries sharing on file.
What if two programs running at the same time with two dictionaries
sharing one file say on a network?
Anyone having experiance on this.
Mario. . .

Wed, 30 Mar 2005 06:49:25 GMT
 Two dictionaries sharing one file
Hi Mario,

Should work just fine as long as the file definition in both dct's are the
same.  But why not combine the 2 dct's into one big dct and then you would
only have to maintain the common file(s) in one dct???

--
---- (;-)}
Regards,

www.kwiksystems.com

Quote:
> Could one expect any problems having two dictionaries sharing on file.
> What if two programs running at the same time with two dictionaries
> sharing one file say on a network?
> Anyone having experiance on this.
> Mario. . .

Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:28:05 GMT
 Two dictionaries sharing one file
Remeber that the DCT is only used to compile the application so that once
you are running the exe the dictionary is not used

Quote:
> Could one expect any problems having two dictionaries sharing on file.
> What if two programs running at the same time with two dictionaries
> sharing one file say on a network?
> Anyone having experiance on this.
> Mario. . .

Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:28:59 GMT
 Two dictionaries sharing one file
Hi Mario,

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 00:49:25 +0200, "Mario van Dyk"

Quote:

>Could one expect any problems having two dictionaries sharing on file.
>What if two programs running at the same time with two dictionaries
>sharing one file say on a network?

Should work fine but like Earl said you might want to take a look at
combining the dct unless they are already very big (hundreds of tables
in each)  The trick is to make sure that the programs using the
dictionaries are synchronized for that one file.  I.e. if there are
two exe using this file, if you make a change in one dct and compile,
then you need to make the same change in the other dct and compile
that program or you are going to have error 47 (invalid record
declaration) come up all over the place.  This is also valid if you
use FM2 as it will convert to the newest version, but if the other
program is still using the old one, FM2 will most likely have problems
with it as it has already converted it in the first program.

Best regards,

Arnr Baldvinsson
Icetips Software
San Antonio, Texas, USA
www.icetips.com

ICQ:  113314380

Subscribe to information from Icetips.com:
http://www.icetips.com/getnotificationinfo.htm

Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:47:51 GMT
 Two dictionaries sharing one file
Thanks everyone!
Much apreciated.
Mario

Quote:
> Hi Mario,

> On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 00:49:25 +0200, "Mario van Dyk"

> >Could one expect any problems having two dictionaries sharing on file.
> >What if two programs running at the same time with two dictionaries
> >sharing one file say on a network?

> Should work fine but like Earl said you might want to take a look at
> combining the dct unless they are already very big (hundreds of tables
> in each)  The trick is to make sure that the programs using the
> dictionaries are synchronized for that one file.  I.e. if there are
> two exe using this file, if you make a change in one dct and compile,
> then you need to make the same change in the other dct and compile
> that program or you are going to have error 47 (invalid record
> declaration) come up all over the place.  This is also valid if you
> use FM2 as it will convert to the newest version, but if the other
> program is still using the old one, FM2 will most likely have problems
> with it as it has already converted it in the first program.

> Best regards,

> Arnr Baldvinsson
> Icetips Software
> San Antonio, Texas, USA
> www.icetips.com

> ICQ:  113314380

> Subscribe to information from Icetips.com:
> http://www.icetips.com/getnotificationinfo.htm

Thu, 31 Mar 2005 07:27:38 GMT
 Two dictionaries sharing one file
I have expirience with n (larger than 10) dct containing same file, and
app-s working  at the same time on the network. Works just fine, but if one
app locks the file (logout, special open, lock) others are going to wait
with any read or write into file until it is unlocked.

Quote:
> Thanks everyone!
> Much apreciated.
> Mario

> > Hi Mario,

> > On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 00:49:25 +0200, "Mario van Dyk"

> > >Could one expect any problems having two dictionaries sharing on file.
> > >What if two programs running at the same time with two dictionaries
> > >sharing one file say on a network?

> > Should work fine but like Earl said you might want to take a look at
> > combining the dct unless they are already very big (hundreds of tables
> > in each)  The trick is to make sure that the programs using the
> > dictionaries are synchronized for that one file.  I.e. if there are
> > two exe using this file, if you make a change in one dct and compile,
> > then you need to make the same change in the other dct and compile
> > that program or you are going to have error 47 (invalid record
> > declaration) come up all over the place.  This is also valid if you
> > use FM2 as it will convert to the newest version, but if the other
> > program is still using the old one, FM2 will most likely have problems
> > with it as it has already converted it in the first program.

> > Best regards,

> > Arnr Baldvinsson
> > Icetips Software
> > San Antonio, Texas, USA
> > www.icetips.com

> > ICQ:  113314380

> > Subscribe to information from Icetips.com:
> > http://www.icetips.com/getnotificationinfo.htm

Fri, 01 Apr 2005 05:00:28 GMT

1. Combining two dictionaries into one

2. Two Dictionaries in one Application - Help...

3. One Dictionary or Two

4. Share Global Variables data between two separate programs in one machine

5. merging 2 columns from two files in one file

6. how to read one file, print to two files

7. one file unit accessing two different files?

8. How to replace one or two words with one word with one line of awk code

9. Sharing code between two .app files

10. One solution to File Sharing problems on Win 95/NT networks

11. read two sets of data from two spread sheet files to two arrays problem

12. two files one script