TPS file recovery utility/TPS ODBC problem
Author Message
 TPS file recovery utility/TPS ODBC problem

We just purchased the ODBC drivers for TPS files from TopSpeed and they
appear to have a bug.  We installed the 32 bit read/write driver and
configure a ODBC source that points to a directory with 30+ tps files in
it.  The problem is that when we go into Access and attempt to import
data from the ODBC source the select box only shows 5 of the 30+ TPS
files in the directory!  It seems to only be showing the TPS files that
do not have a GROUP structure in them.  The files that are not listed in
the ODBC selection list (that have GROUPs) also cannot be run thru the
TPS File Recovery Utility successfully - we get a message that the file
is an invalid type.

Has anyone seen this?  This is our first TPS app we have done for a
small client, all our other stuff is SQL Anywhere based, so we are kind
of TPS Newbies.  I apoligize if I'm asking a simple question already
covered.  I didn;t see anything in Deja News about it.

Thanks in advance!!

Rex Preblick

AgriCom, LLC
225 Peachtree Street
Suite 600
Atlanta, GA 30303
USA

404-420-5775

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."   Albert Einstein

Mon, 02 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 TPS file recovery utility/TPS ODBC problem

Rex,
Are the files not being seen by Access by chance encrypted and password
protected?

I avoid "groups" so I can't speak to that without testing but I have noticed
this exact "feature" on my protected tables.
-Fred

Quote:

> We just purchased the ODBC drivers for TPS files from TopSpeed and they
> appear to have a bug.  We installed the 32 bit read/write driver and
> configure a ODBC source that points to a directory with 30+ tps files in
> it.  The problem is that when we go into Access and attempt to import
> data from the ODBC source the select box only shows 5 of the 30+ TPS
> files in the directory!  It seems to only be showing the TPS files that
> do not have a GROUP structure in them.  The files that are not listed in
> the ODBC selection list (that have GROUPs) also cannot be run thru the
> TPS File Recovery Utility successfully - we get a message that the file
> is an invalid type.

> Has anyone seen this?  This is our first TPS app we have done for a
> small client, all our other stuff is SQL Anywhere based, so we are kind
> of TPS Newbies.  I apoligize if I'm asking a simple question already
> covered.  I didn;t see anything in Deja News about it.

> Thanks in advance!!

> Rex Preblick

> AgriCom, LLC
> 225 Peachtree Street
> Suite 600
> Atlanta, GA 30303
> USA

> 404-420-5775

> "Imagination is more important than knowledge."   Albert Einstein

Mon, 02 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 TPS file recovery utility/TPS ODBC problem

Hi Rex,

Quote:
>It seems to only be showing the TPS files that
>do not have a GROUP structure in them.

I use the ODBC driver (32 bit R/O) on tables within
.TPS files that have GROUP structures without any
problems.
The only tables that can't be read by the ODBC driver
are the ones with the OWNER attribute (unless you
specify the password in the ODBC setup).
Any other reason I can think of is that your .TPS files
might be corrupt. Your statement that you can't run
them through TpsFix might confirm this. I've run my
files (with GROUP's) through TpsFix w.o. problems.
However when a .TPS file *is* corrupt, you'll get the
famous "tpsbt.cpp error in line..." too in the ODBC.
You'll need to search further because GROUP's
won't (shoudn'd) give you any problems.

HTH
Maarten

Tue, 03 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Looking for TPS file W/O TPS Estention

2. Tps file utility

3. Coonecting to TPS file via SV-ODBC

4. DATE vs LONG in .tps files and ODBC

5. ODBC + TPS Files on Client Site

6. ODBC for TPS file format

7. ODBC interface for .tps files

8. Changing from TPS files to ODBC

9. ODBC connection to clarion database files (tps)

10. ODBC for TPS files

11. ODBC for TopSpeed (*.tps) files

12. ODBC and TPS files