Filters for PC's... What about Newsgroups?
Author Message
 Filters for PC's... What about Newsgroups?

    Just a general question...
    There are all sorts of filters for your Web browser... Is there
anything for the newsgroup? Besides the fact that I'm not interested in
some of the more lude messages, there seem to be lots of "get rich
quick" scheems and such on this group. Is there no way to either keep
these messages out or kill them once noticed? It's bad enough I have to
filter my own mail...

    Later...

    kurtt

Wed, 15 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Filters for PC's... What about Newsgroups?

There may be news readers that havee this capability, but I do not know of
any group that does not get these messages.  I have always maintained that
the best handling for these guys is to completely ignore them.  Why confirm
that they got a valid address?  Same goes for email.  Although my email
reader can identify addresses I do not like (spammers) and throw them in
the trash without me ever seeing it.  Very nice feature.

I find these offensive as well, but I just move on to the next message.
This gets me back into why I hook up here in the first place.

HTH,

--
Russell B. Eggen
Topspeed Consulting & Education

[Using MS Internet News 3.0]

Quote:
>     Just a general question...
>     There are all sorts of filters for your Web browser... Is there
> anything for the newsgroup? Besides the fact that I'm not interested in
> some of the more lude messages, there seem to be lots of "get rich
> quick" scheems and such on this group. Is there no way to either keep
> these messages out or kill them once noticed? It's bad enough I have to
> filter my own mail...

>     Later...

>     kurtt

Thu, 16 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. CW Filtered Reports 'hang' PC

2. Kalman Filters, Particle Filters and SVM's

3. fetchem bibany newsgroup filter and downloader

4. ANN: Fetchem image newsgroup filter first release

5. ANN: Fetchem image newsgroup filter first release

6. Problem with 'filter'

7. Sorry, Wrong Newsgroup: I/O error 99, PC = 9997

8. Bug in 'Page Setup' on PC

9. PC Assembler like asm'm'one from the amiga

10. 'Scoring' programs - Mainframe and PC

11. APL'ers outside of this newsgroup

12. Can't Find Newsgroup news.softvelocity.com