Data File Corruption 
Author Message
 Data File Corruption

To all:

I have a data file with approx. 2,008,000 records and about 299MB in
size.
The application that uses the file crashed.

Now, when I look at the data file using Topscan, it reports the file
size of 299MB, but it reports 0 records.

I used TPSFix on the file and it first said 0 errors were found.
I ran it again and it said file not found.
I rebooted the server and ran TPSFix a third time and it appeared to
be working.  IT ran for an hour and reported an error and that it was
recovering 2,008,000 of 2,008,000 records.  It now reports a smaller
file size of about 205MB, but when I open the file with Topscan, it
still reports 0 records and appears empty.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might have caused this or
any other means of recovering the data?

Thanks for any help,
Jeff



Sat, 31 May 2003 09:42:32 GMT  
 Data File Corruption
Causes are usually network errors (bad network cards, server turned off
unexpectedly and so on).

If the customer is running Win 95 then it's imperitive that you install the
ms patch "VRDR2.Exe" (email me if this is the case).

If using Novell then make sure you read the docs on Novell site - search on
"Corrupted Files". Also don't mix ver 3 servers & ver 4 servers and so on.

As far as fixing it goes - can you browse the file? Maybe just the keys are
shot (remember by default TPSFix doesn't rebuild the keys). If you have File
Manager 2 (www.capesoft.com) you could try doing a "Freshen" on the file.

But you may just be fresh out of luck !!

--
Cheers
Bruce Johnson -
Clarion Accessories available from www.ClarionShop.com

Quote:
> To all:

> I have a data file with approx. 2,008,000 records and about 299MB in
> size.
> The application that uses the file crashed.

> Now, when I look at the data file using Topscan, it reports the file
> size of 299MB, but it reports 0 records.

> I used TPSFix on the file and it first said 0 errors were found.
> I ran it again and it said file not found.
> I rebooted the server and ran TPSFix a third time and it appeared to
> be working.  IT ran for an hour and reported an error and that it was
> recovering 2,008,000 of 2,008,000 records.  It now reports a smaller
> file size of about 205MB, but when I open the file with Topscan, it
> still reports 0 records and appears empty.

> Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might have caused this or
> any other means of recovering the data?

> Thanks for any help,
> Jeff



Sat, 31 May 2003 23:15:12 GMT  
 Data File Corruption
What does FRESHEN do to the file

   Warm regards

     Elli

CW5peB,TPS,Legacy   , win98



Sun, 01 Jun 2003 01:22:40 GMT  
 Data File Corruption
Elli,

Freshen sequentially reads a file and writes each record to a new file up to
the point where an error is found.

This is fine if the problem file has a broken record at the end - this isn't
always the case - I had a file broken in the middle - thus freshen worked up
to the broken record and proceeded to lose all subsequent records

I hide the freshen button cos (in the example above) it can actually make
things worse.  To fix a broken file Freshen is a last resort.....

But I thought I explained all this in a previous thread<G>

all the best

Darron


Quote:
> What does FRESHEN do to the file

>    Warm regards

>      Elli

> CW5peB,TPS,Legacy   , win98



Sun, 01 Jun 2003 03:12:44 GMT  
 Data File Corruption
Bruce:
Thanks for reply but all clients are Win98, server NT.
We sent the file off to SoftVelocity to see if the header can be fixed (if
that's the problem).
But I do have a question for you.  Please check email at Capesoft site.
Thanks again..
Terry


Quote:
> Causes are usually network errors (bad network cards, server turned off
> unexpectedly and so on).

> If the customer is running Win 95 then it's imperitive that you install
the
> ms patch "VRDR2.Exe" (email me if this is the case).

> If using Novell then make sure you read the docs on Novell site - search
on
> "Corrupted Files". Also don't mix ver 3 servers & ver 4 servers and so on.

> As far as fixing it goes - can you browse the file? Maybe just the keys
are
> shot (remember by default TPSFix doesn't rebuild the keys). If you have
File
> Manager 2 (www.capesoft.com) you could try doing a "Freshen" on the file.

> But you may just be fresh out of luck !!

> --
> Cheers
> Bruce Johnson -
> Clarion Accessories available from www.ClarionShop.com


> > To all:

> > I have a data file with approx. 2,008,000 records and about 299MB in
> > size.
> > The application that uses the file crashed.

> > Now, when I look at the data file using Topscan, it reports the file
> > size of 299MB, but it reports 0 records.

> > I used TPSFix on the file and it first said 0 errors were found.
> > I ran it again and it said file not found.
> > I rebooted the server and ran TPSFix a third time and it appeared to
> > be working.  IT ran for an hour and reported an error and that it was
> > recovering 2,008,000 of 2,008,000 records.  It now reports a smaller
> > file size of about 205MB, but when I open the file with Topscan, it
> > still reports 0 records and appears empty.

> > Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might have caused this or
> > any other means of recovering the data?

> > Thanks for any help,
> > Jeff



Sun, 01 Jun 2003 05:35:04 GMT  
 Data File Corruption
Thanks Darron
Yes i can see that as only a last resort

   Warm regards

     Elli

CW5peB,TPS,Legacy   , win98



Sun, 01 Jun 2003 04:11:34 GMT  
 Data File Corruption
The file header may be damaged.  I would use an example file.

Make a copy of the original corrupted file (before any fixes).  Name it
FileName.OLD .

Use a clean example file named FileName.tpe.  If you don't have a example
file, create one.  See help for more info.

Be sure there is no file named FileName.tps, because we want to create a new
one.

At a dos prompt type:  tpsfix FileName.OLD FileName.tps /E:FileName.tpe
Even if the program reports no errors, go through each step and have it fix
the file anyway.

You should now have a file name FileName.tps, but the keys have not yet been
built.  Write a small app to open the file and then Build(FileName) to build
the keys.  To skip this step, you can have tpsfix build the keys by adding
/K at the end of the command line.  But the docs suggest it's better to
build the keys in another program, for some unexplained reason.

Hopefully, this will fix the file.  The size of the new file may not exactly
match the original due to the built-in compression of the tps file.

Good luck.


Quote:
> To all:

> I have a data file with approx. 2,008,000 records and about 299MB in
> size.
> The application that uses the file crashed.

> Now, when I look at the data file using Topscan, it reports the file
> size of 299MB, but it reports 0 records.

> I used TPSFix on the file and it first said 0 errors were found.
> I ran it again and it said file not found.
> I rebooted the server and ran TPSFix a third time and it appeared to
> be working.  IT ran for an hour and reported an error and that it was
> recovering 2,008,000 of 2,008,000 records.  It now reports a smaller
> file size of about 205MB, but when I open the file with Topscan, it
> still reports 0 records and appears empty.

> Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might have caused this or
> any other means of recovering the data?

> Thanks for any help,
> Jeff



Sun, 01 Jun 2003 07:50:45 GMT  
 Data File Corruption
IMO, freshen should NEVER be used on a file prior to fixing it, whether
you fix it outside of FM2 or not. Its just asking to lose data if you
do.

---
Mark Riffey
Granite Bear Development
http://www.granitebear.com

Software for professional photography studios
and non-profit organizations



Sun, 01 Jun 2003 01:23:20 GMT  
 Data File Corruption
Hi Mark,

Interesting .... I Freshen a lot more than Fix, and it seems to do stuff
that Fix can't do. For example I had one site where they installed a Win 95
machine without my knowing. Of course they got immediate file corruptions.
We used a mixture of TPSFix and Backups to restore the data. However we
still had strange behaviour - the occasional gpf - program "hanging" -
records going missing. Building keys didn't seem to help.  Freshened all the
files and the problems all went away.

I think once you've determined there is data corruption, then you need to
immediately make a backup. Then it's a case of using all the tools on hand
to get the files back as best you can. Certainly, after all the data is
"restored" I do a "freshen" of all the files. This is an excellent way to
test-read every record, and also to create new file containers. After this
is completed you know the file at least is 100%.

Oh - and of course Freshen remains the only way I know of to remove
duplicate records in a key that "doesn't allow dulpicates".

--
Cheers
Bruce Johnson -
Clarion Accessories available from www.ClarionShop.com

Quote:
> IMO, freshen should NEVER be used on a file prior to fixing it, whether
> you fix it outside of FM2 or not. Its just asking to lose data if you
> do.

> ---
> Mark Riffey
> Granite Bear Development
> http://www.granitebear.com

> Software for professional photography studios
> and non-profit organizations



Sun, 01 Jun 2003 14:49:25 GMT  
 Data File Corruption
Thats interesting. I usually have people do a fix first to make sure
freshen doesnt miss any records due to a busted file. When people have
done the opposite, theyve tended to lose stuff.

Freshen often fixes things build wont, thats for sure.

---
Mark Riffey
Granite Bear Development
http://www.granitebear.com

Software for professional photography studios
and non-profit organizations



Sun, 01 Jun 2003 16:23:19 GMT  
 Data File Corruption
So freshen loops thru file and does a PUT() on each record read
or
Rewrites the file entirely

   Warm regards

     Elli

CW5peB,TPS,Legacy   , win98



Mon, 02 Jun 2003 00:07:13 GMT  
 Data File Corruption

Quote:

> So freshen loops thru file and does a PUT() on each record read
> or
> Rewrites the file entirely

My understanding is that it creates a new empty file, reads the old
file in physical record order and does an ADD() to the new file for
each record on the old file, then it deletes the old file and renames
the new one to the old file's name.

---
Mark Riffey
Granite Bear Development
http://www.granitebear.com

Software for professional photography studios
and non-profit organizations



Sun, 01 Jun 2003 18:03:22 GMT  
 Data File Corruption
Quote:
>My understanding is that it creates a new empty file, reads the old
>file in physical record order and does an ADD() to the new file for
>each record on the old file, then it deletes the old file and renames
>the new one to the old file's name.

Yes sometimes this is the only way to get a file proper
So finally the answer FM2 will do this
 and i have allready Handwritten routines to do this  oh well   :)

        Thanks

   Warm regards

     Elli

CW5peB,TPS,Legacy   , win98



Mon, 02 Jun 2003 01:40:52 GMT  
 Data File Corruption
Bruce,

All depends on the errorcode encountered - now if the maintenance program
were to be souped up checking the errorcode and then recommending how it
best be fixed - you'd have another program I for one would buy as a seperate
entity to FM2<G> - and trust with clients - for now I keep the tools away
from most of them<G> - and yes - I zip up prior to any work first<G>

here's a start - my one and only error so far 1602 is fixed with tpsfix at
dos filename level NOT freshen<G> FM2's maintenance program as it stands
today can't handle this error (it was a superfile) - your use of tpsfix lost
the other files, freshen lost all records after the error<G>

all the best

Darron


Quote:
> Hi Mark,

> Interesting .... I Freshen a lot more than Fix, and it seems to do stuff
> that Fix can't do. For example I had one site where they installed a Win
95
> machine without my knowing. Of course they got immediate file corruptions.
> We used a mixture of TPSFix and Backups to restore the data. However we
> still had strange behaviour - the occasional gpf - program "hanging" -
> records going missing. Building keys didn't seem to help.  Freshened all
the
> files and the problems all went away.

> I think once you've determined there is data corruption, then you need to
> immediately make a backup. Then it's a case of using all the tools on hand
> to get the files back as best you can. Certainly, after all the data is
> "restored" I do a "freshen" of all the files. This is an excellent way to
> test-read every record, and also to create new file containers. After this
> is completed you know the file at least is 100%.

> Oh - and of course Freshen remains the only way I know of to remove
> duplicate records in a key that "doesn't allow dulpicates".

> --
> Cheers
> Bruce Johnson -
> Clarion Accessories available from www.ClarionShop.com


> > IMO, freshen should NEVER be used on a file prior to fixing it, whether
> > you fix it outside of FM2 or not. Its just asking to lose data if you
> > do.

> > ---
> > Mark Riffey
> > Granite Bear Development
> > http://www.granitebear.com

> > Software for professional photography studios
> > and non-profit organizations



Mon, 02 Jun 2003 04:29:02 GMT  
 Data File Corruption
But why use Multiple Table files in the first place since most seem to
agree that recorvery chances in the first place are not as good.

   Warm regards

     Elli

CW5peB,TPS,Legacy   , win98



Mon, 02 Jun 2003 08:17:52 GMT  
 
 [ 21 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages 

1. Data File Corruption Question

2. Data File corruption in CFD 2.1

3. Clarion Data File Corruption

4. Clipper/Novell data file corruption HELP!!!!

5. data file corruption

6. Possible Data Corruption - File Access Error

7. Error 530 (Possible Data Corruption in file attempting to access a record)

8. Possible data corruption in file(706)

9. Read VFP data files into Clipper data files

10. I have 100 data files, I want to join them together as one data file

11. Unix Data files vs DOS data files

12. non-gridded ASCII data file to netCDF data file

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software