the old conversion problem
Author Message
 the old conversion problem

hey all,

sorry about this, but i have posted on a couple of other threads and not
really received an answer... so here goes...

i have recently come into a position where the company has an existing
program, written in Clarion2.2, with the ol' legacy templates and
powerbrowse. i purchased C55pe, and am wanting desperately to upgrade.
however, a few problems stand in my way.

the first was the powerbrowse...then a kind person showed me where to get
the powerbrowse template program for C55... however this didn't exactly work
properly...so is there anyway to actually remove the powerbrowse from the
.app as it is being upgraded to C55??

the other problem is a little more significant. i don't have the latest
code...and it is ungettable... is there any way to get the code from a .exe
file??? i really doubt this, but who knows...

thanks,

stu

Sun, 02 Nov 2003 11:26:46 GMT
 the old conversion problem
hey again,

if you're reading this, disregard the first message <grin>...

the problem is thus : i am trying to convert the last record in the
dictionary so that the program can access the data, and get this :
             trying to convert <name>: Invalid Record Declaration (possibly
containing OVERed fields). This file cannot be browsed.

so, i sort of understand about OVER'd fields, but it seems to me that i
shouldn't have to change anything. the dictionary is coming from a C22
program, so that could be making problems. also, when i asked to browse the
record, it asked me if i wished to convert (NO), and then if i wanted to
override the structure (YES)... this fixed the problem, but erased the data
in the record.

any help is much appreciated...
thanks

stu

Quote:
> hey all,

> sorry about this, but i have posted on a couple of other threads and not
> really received an answer... so here goes...

> i have recently come into a position where the company has an existing
> program, written in Clarion2.2, with the ol' legacy templates and
> powerbrowse. i purchased C55pe, and am wanting desperately to upgrade.
> however, a few problems stand in my way.

> the first was the powerbrowse...then a kind person showed me where to get
> the powerbrowse template program for C55... however this didn't exactly
work
> properly...so is there anyway to actually remove the powerbrowse from the
> .app as it is being upgraded to C55??

> the other problem is a little more significant. i don't have the latest
> code...and it is ungettable... is there any way to get the code from a
.exe
> file??? i really doubt this, but who knows...

> thanks,

> stu

Sun, 02 Nov 2003 14:12:52 GMT
 the old conversion problem
Hi Stu,

Get the latest patches form www.softvelocity.com A B C & D
That should fix you'r conversion problem, with the data files, remember to
press (Yes) when it ask's for convert. <G>.

Quote:
> hey again,

> if you're reading this, disregard the first message <grin>...

> the problem is thus : i am trying to convert the last record in the
> dictionary so that the program can access the data, and get this :
>              trying to convert <name>: Invalid Record Declaration
(possibly
> containing OVERed fields). This file cannot be browsed.

> so, i sort of understand about OVER'd fields, but it seems to me that i
> shouldn't have to change anything. the dictionary is coming from a C22
> program, so that could be making problems. also, when i asked to browse
the
> record, it asked me if i wished to convert (NO), and then if i wanted to
> override the structure (YES)... this fixed the problem, but erased the
data
> in the record.

> any help is much appreciated...
> thanks

> stu

> > hey all,

> > sorry about this, but i have posted on a couple of other threads and not
> > really received an answer... so here goes...

> > i have recently come into a position where the company has an existing
> > program, written in Clarion2.2, with the ol' legacy templates and
> > powerbrowse. i purchased C55pe, and am wanting desperately to upgrade.
> > however, a few problems stand in my way.

> > the first was the powerbrowse...then a kind person showed me where to
get
> > the powerbrowse template program for C55... however this didn't exactly
> work
> > properly...so is there anyway to actually remove the powerbrowse from
the
> > .app as it is being upgraded to C55??

> > the other problem is a little more significant. i don't have the latest
> > code...and it is ungettable... is there any way to get the code from a
> .exe
> > file??? i really doubt this, but who knows...

> > thanks,

> > stu

Sun, 02 Nov 2003 15:25:05 GMT
 the old conversion problem
thanks Oddmar,

i do believe i have the 4 patches installed, but i can't remember if i had
to reinstall Clarion before or after that...so might just reinstall them...
also, i don't think the patches stopped this problem...

thanks

stu

Quote:
> Hi Stu,

> Get the latest patches form www.softvelocity.com A B C & D
> That should fix you'r conversion problem, with the data files, remember to
> press (Yes) when it ask's for convert. <G>.

> > hey again,

> > if you're reading this, disregard the first message <grin>...

> > the problem is thus : i am trying to convert the last record in the
> > dictionary so that the program can access the data, and get this :
> >              trying to convert <name>: Invalid Record Declaration
> (possibly
> > containing OVERed fields). This file cannot be browsed.

> > so, i sort of understand about OVER'd fields, but it seems to me that i
> > shouldn't have to change anything. the dictionary is coming from a C22
> > program, so that could be making problems. also, when i asked to browse
> the
> > record, it asked me if i wished to convert (NO), and then if i wanted to
> > override the structure (YES)... this fixed the problem, but erased the
> data
> > in the record.

> > any help is much appreciated...
> > thanks

> > stu

> > > hey all,

> > > sorry about this, but i have posted on a couple of other threads and
not
> > > really received an answer... so here goes...

> > > i have recently come into a position where the company has an existing
> > > program, written in Clarion2.2, with the ol' legacy templates and
> > > powerbrowse. i purchased C55pe, and am wanting desperately to upgrade.
> > > however, a few problems stand in my way.

> > > the first was the powerbrowse...then a kind person showed me where to
> get
> > > the powerbrowse template program for C55... however this didn't
exactly
> > work
> > > properly...so is there anyway to actually remove the powerbrowse from
> the
> > > .app as it is being upgraded to C55??

> > > the other problem is a little more significant. i don't have the
latest
> > > code...and it is ungettable... is there any way to get the code from a
> > .exe
> > > file??? i really doubt this, but who knows...

> > > thanks,

> > > stu

Mon, 03 Nov 2003 07:55:19 GMT
 the old conversion problem
The converter in the dictionary is fairly weak. It doesn't handle several
legal file structures, including arrays, and "over" fields. Typically when
it can't handle the structure it says "possible over fields" - but this is
really a "catch-all" kind of message.

You might want to consider using our File Manager 2 product instead
(www.capesoft.com).  This allows your EXE to convert it's own data files on
the fly, as it needs them.  The product itself has been around for years now
and is used by plenty developers...

Cheers
Bruce Johnson
CapeSoft

Quote:
> hey again,

> if you're reading this, disregard the first message <grin>...

> the problem is thus : i am trying to convert the last record in the
> dictionary so that the program can access the data, and get this :
>              trying to convert <name>: Invalid Record Declaration
(possibly
> containing OVERed fields). This file cannot be browsed.

> so, i sort of understand about OVER'd fields, but it seems to me that i
> shouldn't have to change anything. the dictionary is coming from a C22
> program, so that could be making problems. also, when i asked to browse
the
> record, it asked me if i wished to convert (NO), and then if i wanted to
> override the structure (YES)... this fixed the problem, but erased the
data
> in the record.

> any help is much appreciated...
> thanks

> stu

> > hey all,

> > sorry about this, but i have posted on a couple of other threads and not
> > really received an answer... so here goes...

> > i have recently come into a position where the company has an existing
> > program, written in Clarion2.2, with the ol' legacy templates and
> > powerbrowse. i purchased C55pe, and am wanting desperately to upgrade.
> > however, a few problems stand in my way.

> > the first was the powerbrowse...then a kind person showed me where to
get
> > the powerbrowse template program for C55... however this didn't exactly
> work
> > properly...so is there anyway to actually remove the powerbrowse from
the
> > .app as it is being upgraded to C55??

> > the other problem is a little more significant. i don't have the latest
> > code...and it is ungettable... is there any way to get the code from a
> .exe
> > file??? i really doubt this, but who knows...

> > thanks,

> > stu

Mon, 03 Nov 2003 17:19:17 GMT
 the old conversion problem
Bruce,

thanks for the tip,

stu

Quote:
> The converter in the dictionary is fairly weak. It doesn't handle several
> legal file structures, including arrays, and "over" fields. Typically when
> it can't handle the structure it says "possible over fields" - but this is
> really a "catch-all" kind of message.

> You might want to consider using our File Manager 2 product instead
> (www.capesoft.com).  This allows your EXE to convert it's own data files
on
> the fly, as it needs them.  The product itself has been around for years
now
> and is used by plenty developers...

> Cheers
> Bruce Johnson
> CapeSoft

> > hey again,

> > if you're reading this, disregard the first message <grin>...

> > the problem is thus : i am trying to convert the last record in the
> > dictionary so that the program can access the data, and get this :
> >              trying to convert <name>: Invalid Record Declaration
> (possibly
> > containing OVERed fields). This file cannot be browsed.

> > so, i sort of understand about OVER'd fields, but it seems to me that i
> > shouldn't have to change anything. the dictionary is coming from a C22
> > program, so that could be making problems. also, when i asked to browse
> the
> > record, it asked me if i wished to convert (NO), and then if i wanted to
> > override the structure (YES)... this fixed the problem, but erased the
> data
> > in the record.

> > any help is much appreciated...
> > thanks

> > stu

> > > hey all,

> > > sorry about this, but i have posted on a couple of other threads and
not
> > > really received an answer... so here goes...

> > > i have recently come into a position where the company has an existing
> > > program, written in Clarion2.2, with the ol' legacy templates and
> > > powerbrowse. i purchased C55pe, and am wanting desperately to upgrade.
> > > however, a few problems stand in my way.

> > > the first was the powerbrowse...then a kind person showed me where to
> get
> > > the powerbrowse template program for C55... however this didn't
exactly
> > work
> > > properly...so is there anyway to actually remove the powerbrowse from
> the
> > > .app as it is being upgraded to C55??

> > > the other problem is a little more significant. i don't have the
latest
> > > code...and it is ungettable... is there any way to get the code from a
> > .exe
> > > file??? i really doubt this, but who knows...

> > > thanks,

> > > stu

Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:15:51 GMT
 the old conversion problem
May I add that FM2 is fabulous.  It has saved me hours of work.  Bruce and
the team at CapeSoft are terrific to work with and they fix problems (if you
can find any) quickly.  Whatever the current cost, it's worth it!  I
wouldn't even consider writing an APP without it.

Peter Gysegem
Beaver Creek Software

Quote:

>Bruce,

>thanks for the tip,

>stu

>> The converter in the dictionary is fairly weak. It doesn't handle several
>> legal file structures, including arrays, and "over" fields. Typically
when
>> it can't handle the structure it says "possible over fields" - but this
is
>> really a "catch-all" kind of message.

>> You might want to consider using our File Manager 2 product instead
>> (www.capesoft.com).  This allows your EXE to convert it's own data files
>on
>> the fly, as it needs them.  The product itself has been around for years
>now
>> and is used by plenty developers...

>> Cheers
>> Bruce Johnson
>> CapeSoft

>> > hey again,

>> > if you're reading this, disregard the first message <grin>...

>> > the problem is thus : i am trying to convert the last record in the
>> > dictionary so that the program can access the data, and get this :
>> >              trying to convert <name>: Invalid Record Declaration
>> (possibly
>> > containing OVERed fields). This file cannot be browsed.

>> > so, i sort of understand about OVER'd fields, but it seems to me that i
>> > shouldn't have to change anything. the dictionary is coming from a C22
>> > program, so that could be making problems. also, when i asked to browse
>> the
>> > record, it asked me if i wished to convert (NO), and then if i wanted
>> > override the structure (YES)... this fixed the problem, but erased the
>> data
>> > in the record.

>> > any help is much appreciated...
>> > thanks

>> > stu

>not

>> get
>exactly
>> > work
>> the

>latest
>> > .exe

Sun, 09 Nov 2003 01:18:32 GMT

1. Problem: Old Code/Older Compiler

2. Old System File Conversion

3. Old Clarion .dat to .dbf conversion

4. conversion from an old version

5. Conversion algorithm between IEEE floating point and old Microsoft Binary Format

6. TBrowse: Teach an old dog old tricks

7. Old Old rmcobol

8. (OT) Back in the old old days ...

9. the old transparent control problem

10. The old quoting confusion problem

11. Clipper and NT, very very old problem as I think

12. Error in tps file update - Old Problem - New Try