Browse Column Counts - What am I missing?
Author Message
 Browse Column Counts - What am I missing?

Hello all,

First off, I am using C4b with the ABC templates.  I have a browse.  I would
like to run counts of rows that have certain values in particular columns.

I have created local variables (long) to contain the result of each count.  I
have placed string variables on the browse window with the local variable
names in the respective USE: fields.

I have gone to the Browse -> List Properties -> Actions -> Hot Fields tab and
added and bound the local variables and the file variables involved.  I have
then gone to the Totaling tab and added properties for each of the local
variable I've created.  I've defined my local variables as the Total Target
Fields and selected the Total Type of 'Count'.  The total is to be based on a
specific condition and defined the condition as the relevant file variable not
equal to space.

What I want is a count of rows for each column that is not equal to spaces.
Whenever I display the browse the count fields display zero.  I believe I've
done everything that the help files and clarion examples outline.

What am I missing here?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Rick

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 07:52:24 GMT
 Browse Column Counts - What am I missing?
Why use string variables?

Quote:
> Hello all,

> First off, I am using C4b with the ABC templates.  I have a browse.  I
would
> like to run counts of rows that have certain values in particular columns.

> I have created local variables (long) to contain the result of each count.
> have placed string variables on the browse window with the local variable
> names in the respective USE: fields.

****
Why use string variables? Just put your Long's on the Browse window.

Regards

Frank Uhlik
****

Quote:
> I have gone to the Browse -> List Properties -> Actions -> Hot Fields tab
and
> added and bound the local variables and the file variables involved.  I
have
> then gone to the Totaling tab and added properties for each of the local
> variable I've created.  I've defined my local variables as the Total
Target
> Fields and selected the Total Type of 'Count'.  The total is to be based
on a
> specific condition and defined the condition as the relevant file variable
not
> equal to space.

> What I want is a count of rows for each column that is not equal to
spaces.
> Whenever I display the browse the count fields display zero.  I believe
I've
> done everything that the help files and clarion examples outline.

> What am I missing here?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Many thanks,

> Rick

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 11:31:10 GMT
 Browse Column Counts - What am I missing?
Frank,

Thanks for the suggestion.  It will help make things cleaner but
it still doesn't address the problem I'm experiencing.

Any ideas?

Rick

Quote:

>Why use string variables?

>> Hello all,

>> First off, I am using C4b with the ABC templates.  I have a browse.  I
>would
>> like to run counts of rows that have certain values in particular columns.

>> I have created local variables (long) to contain the result of each count.
>> have placed string variables on the browse window with the local variable
>> names in the respective USE: fields.

>****
>Why use string variables? Just put your Long's on the Browse window.

>Regards

>Frank Uhlik
>****

>> I have gone to the Browse -> List Properties -> Actions -> Hot Fields tab
>and
>> added and bound the local variables and the file variables involved.  I
>have
>> then gone to the Totaling tab and added properties for each of the local
>> variable I've created.  I've defined my local variables as the Total
>Target
>> Fields and selected the Total Type of 'Count'.  The total is to be based
>on a
>> specific condition and defined the condition as the relevant file variable
>not
>> equal to space.

>> What I want is a count of rows for each column that is not equal to
>spaces.
>> Whenever I display the browse the count fields display zero.  I believe
>I've
>> done everything that the help files and clarion examples outline.

>> What am I missing here?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>> Many thanks,

>> Rick

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 11:54:02 GMT
 Browse Column Counts - What am I missing?
Hi Rick,

That *was*  the idea :)

I do this all the time (I also use CW4 though the version doesn't really
matter) and what you are doing looks right.

You could try removing the filter condition and see if totaling works then
(you should at least get a count) - If no count, the problem is in your
config, if you do get a count, the problem is the filter.

If none of this works you might like to try adding all the fields you
require to the browse (instead of binding them) - then hide the new columns
by making them only 1 space wide, or pushing them over to the right side and
making sure there is no horizontal scroll bar, or even setting their
foreground color the same as background.

Hope this helps

Frank

Quote:
> Frank,

> Thanks for the suggestion.  It will help make things cleaner but
> it still doesn't address the problem I'm experiencing.

> Any ideas?

> Rick

> >Why use string variables?

> >> Hello all,

> >> First off, I am using C4b with the ABC templates.  I have a browse.  I
> >would
> >> like to run counts of rows that have certain values in particular
columns.

> >> I have created local variables (long) to contain the result of each
count.
> >> have placed string variables on the browse window with the local
variable
> >> names in the respective USE: fields.

> >****
> >Why use string variables? Just put your Long's on the Browse window.

> >Regards

> >Frank Uhlik
> >****

> >> I have gone to the Browse -> List Properties -> Actions -> Hot Fields
tab
> >and
> >> added and bound the local variables and the file variables involved.  I
> >have
> >> then gone to the Totaling tab and added properties for each of the
local
> >> variable I've created.  I've defined my local variables as the Total
> >Target
> >> Fields and selected the Total Type of 'Count'.  The total is to be
based
> >on a
> >> specific condition and defined the condition as the relevant file
variable
> >not
> >> equal to space.

> >> What I want is a count of rows for each column that is not equal to
> >spaces.
> >> Whenever I display the browse the count fields display zero.  I believe
> >I've
> >> done everything that the help files and clarion examples outline.

> >> What am I missing here?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> >> Many thanks,

> >> Rick

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 12:40:33 GMT

1. counting events and miss first count

2. Browse Column resize causes browse crash

3. Counting Columns in Listbox

4. What column of ListBox am I clicking in?

5. Missed counts....

6. what am i missing? :(

7. I am missing this group!!!

8. Am i missing something with CW5Pe?

9. Am I missing something here?

10. Am I missing some patches on C4 OLE ?

11. Am I missing something here?

12. What am I missing????