CLARION 5.5 GOLD!
Author Message
 CLARION 5.5 GOLD!

How about asking them? I would also like to know.

--
James Cooke
Certified Clarion Developer

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CLARION 5.5 GOLD!
Hi James,

Ask them??  Just my few questions...

1.   We only purchase their end products, and we are not there to show them
how they should run their businesses.  It is their own initiative in
constructing a proper channel for customer feedback.

2.   If there is a place or link for us to click, it should be sufficient;
problem is the website was a 'standstill'.  It all started with flash and
enthusiasm and after a while been left aside frozen, waiting to be
defrosted.

3.  No one in this newsgroup knows , just only 'soon'.  Soon the backend
integration of most systems in the market will be XML based... WML
based...and soon the HTML technology may be obsolete....

4.   In many cases, they simply shun away from certain subjects and facts,
close the door and start building their car... I mean build their
software...

5.   Everyone will be grateful if there are messages located somewhere on
certain URL links that says:

    We are currently working on the followings for Clarion 5.5 Beta 3:

        a.    32-Bit IDE.
        b.    Incorporating Artificial Intelligence...
        c.    Adding money printing features...
        d.    ....

    NB:  above features are all fictitious, for show only.

Thanks.

Kelvin Chua
SINGAPORE

How about asking them? I would also like to know.

--
James Cooke
Certified Clarion Developer
Richardson, Texas

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CLARION 5.5 GOLD!
Kevin:
I know in my case I've frozen my CW development system until certain
features are done. My list is much the same:
32 bit IDE
Total incorporation of COM, both creating and using:
Better use of XML.
I frankly think that these items are going to eventually push Clarion off
into the has been category. People will demand certain features of Clarion
programmers, they will continue to find it difficult to implement. These
same programmers will explore other products, Visual Studio, et all, and say
to themselves, as I have, "Is this just my unwillingness to change, or is
there still the RAD advantage inherent in CW?"

I for one am fearful right now that any more expenditure on CW is throwing
good money after bad. All of this is very sad to me. I can't help but think
if TopSpeed would of made just a few different decisions they would now have
a big percentage of the developer market. There are so many side trips,
actions that diluted the basic solid, sound, capabilities that CW. The
defunct installer, not adopting say Crystal Reports, for reporting, instead
of the Reporter. Wizatrons, which as far as I'm concerned is just a
competing technology to the Templates. All the time the industry was taking
a course towards the Internet, COM, XML.......

Mick

Quote:
> Hi James,

> Ask them??  Just my few questions...

> 1.   We only purchase their end products, and we are not there to show
them
> how they should run their businesses.  It is their own initiative in
> constructing a proper channel for customer feedback.

> 2.   If there is a place or link for us to click, it should be sufficient;
> problem is the website was a 'standstill'.  It all started with flash and
> enthusiasm and after a while been left aside frozen, waiting to be
> defrosted.

> 3.  No one in this newsgroup knows , just only 'soon'.  Soon the backend
> integration of most systems in the market will be XML based... WML
> based...and soon the HTML technology may be obsolete....

> 4.   In many cases, they simply shun away from certain subjects and facts,
> close the door and start building their car... I mean build their
> software...

> 5.   Everyone will be grateful if there are messages located somewhere on
> certain URL links that says:

>     We are currently working on the followings for Clarion 5.5 Beta 3:

>         a.    32-Bit IDE.
>         b.    Incorporating Artificial Intelligence...
>         c.    Adding money printing features...
>         d.    ....

>     NB:  above features are all fictitious, for show only.

> Thanks.

> Kelvin Chua
> SINGAPORE

> How about asking them? I would also like to know.

> --
> James Cooke
> Certified Clarion Developer
> Richardson, Texas

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CLARION 5.5 GOLD!
on

 http://www.topspeed.com/c55/mvelocityi1.htm

you will find the following:

VAKS

Published June 16, 2000, by SoftVelocity, Inc.

Four weeks doesn't sound like a long time, but in the software world a
lot can happen. We've been busy bug fixing and polishing up Clarion
5.5, and in the process adding some new features. We're designing new
logos and creating a Web site, and doing mundane things like designing
invoices and letterhead, and reading a lot of email.
When we took over the Clarion line I started receiving between 75 to
100 additional emails every day!  My mail was filled with
congratulations and well wishes, some with questions, some wanting
reassurance that Clarion would continue. And though in the beginning I
tried to respond to each individually, I didn't get too far before I
couldn't keep up with them. I read all of them, but couldn't possibly
respond to them all. So I first want to take this opportunity to thank
each and every one of you who emailed me.

I hope the things we have already done, the information in this
newsletter, and the interviews have helped to reassure and answer some
of the questions about the direction the product is taking. Along with
the wishes for success came some incredibly insightful suggestions;
for the product itself, for marketing, the newsgroups, technical
support.... just about every aspect of Clarion. My sincere Thanks to
everyone who took the time to contribute their perspective.

I've been to two Clarion developer conferences in the last four weeks.
The first was ETC sponsored by the Knoxville Clarion Users Group, and
then last week to the DevCon in Argentina sponsored by our distributor
UniSoft. Both were incredibly useful trips. At ETC I met with users
I've known for years, and many I knew only from reading their names in
the newsgroups. It was nice to be able to put a face with a name.  In
Argentina I did more of the same, and I made some new contacts from a
group of very talented users.

At both conferences I had conversations with as many developers as I
could manage. We talked about the strengths of the product, areas that
need improvements, and new technology that we're looking at
delivering. And I walked away with a very good feeling about the
future of Clarion.

I won't take up any more of your time right now, there are some
important things you've been asking about, and we have covered some of
them in this issue. I know there are plenty more questions, so for the
next few weeks we'll be sending messages out frequently. If you want
to be removed from this list, which we inherited from SoftVelocity,
just email us.

Best Regards,
Robert Zaunere CEO
SoftVelocity

Clarion 5.5 Status Update
The single most asked question we hear and with good reason.
New Additions and Features in 5.5
Its been just a few weeks since we took over Clarion and we've been
busy.

New Pricing for Clarion Courseware
Just a start towards what will be a major emphasis on delivering
affordable training for all things Clarion.

About the Future
Probably the second most asked question is what comes next. We've been
talking about some of our ideas, but we need to know more about your
requirements.

Instructor-Lead Training Courses
Our instructor lead, hands-on training courses are back.  Now you can
get a head start on your application development with Clarion 5.5 by
taking one of our instructor lead classes, which cover essential
developer skills all the way to advanced training. Learn how to make
both today's and tomorrow's applications.

Manuals for Sale
Some of us just like to have a book to hold in our hands. We have a
limited supply of 5.0 manuals available. If you're tired of lugging
your manuals back and forth from work to home, see what we have to
offer.

In Our Next Issue...
In our next communication we'll be talking more about our plans for
future development both short-term and medium-term. We'll be
discussing the new support offerings we have been working on, new
courseware under development, and more questions on your requirements.
We'll have a better idea of what we can do for DevCon 2000. We'll also
tell you about our marketing plans, a new initiative for putting
Clarion into Universities and technical schools, and more importantly
what we can do together to make it across the finish line.

Clarion 5.5 Status Update
It's been one of the longest beta cycles on record for Clarion, much
longer than anyone wanted. The good news is, it's almost over. Long
betas are what happens when you take a planned incremental dot
release, and combine it with the work-in-progress from two separate
development projects. And that's exactly what happened to Clarion 5.5.

5.5 combines the work completed for the iBuild project with large
pieces of the work-in-progress for Clarion 6, and just for fun adds in
the bug fixes and enhancements originally planned for 5.5.

So when is it finally going to ship? Well with the risk of ending up
sounding like Microsoft with the Windows 2000 release, it looks like
we're only a few weeks away from a gold candidate.

We'll keep you informed as we get closer to a final release with new
issues of this newsletter. This information will also be posted to our
web site at www.SoftVelocity.com. Look for our upcoming unveiling of
our new web site at www.softvelocity.com.

New Additions and New features in 5.5
SoftVelocity announces additional database support and a set of new
features to be included in Clarion 5.5.

New Product Features Included in both Professional (PE) and Enterprise
Editions (EE)

Rich Text Support: Add Wordpad style capability to your Clarion
applications. Provided as a Clarion DLL with a template wrapper, does
not require any external programs or ActiveX controls. Supports search
and replace, URL recognition and highlighting, file open, file save,
print setup, print from a window, stream in, stream out, copy and
paste to and from the clipboard, supports windows fonts including
colored text, bullets, numbering, text alignment and more. Can be used
with Clarion memo and string fields. Can load file from disk. RTF 3.0
specification. (32-bit only)

HTML Help Class and Template: Add support for the new standard Help
system for the Windows platform. HTML Help offers some distinct
advantages over standard Help, such as the ability to implement a
combined table of contents and index, and the use of keywords for
advanced hyperlinking capability. Provided as a DLL with Extension
templates for both Legacy and ABC as well as Code templates for the
Class interface that communicates with the Microsoft HTML system. It's
easy to add support to either Generated Applications or hand-coded
programs. Clarion Help calls are intercepted, and instead of calling
the Windows Help system are redirected to the Windows HTML Help
system. Developers can use HTML Help to create on-line help for their
application or create content for a multimedia title. (32-bit only)

Crystal Reports Interface: Add additional ease-of-use, flexibility and
powerful reporting technology to your Clarion applications by
incorporating support for Seagate Crystal Reports 8. Provided as a DLL
and Class interface with a template that provides instant access to
the power of Crystal Reports 8. The class interface makes it easy to
add Crystal Reports functionality to a Clarion 5.5 application. The
Crystal Report can run inside a Clarion window, making integration
with your application seamless. Includes support for drilldown, report
export, printer selection dialogs, summary view and more.

Utility Library: The start of a collection of often-used Window API
calls complete with Code template wrappers for easy implementation.
The library provides methods to read/write to the Windows registry,
validate OLE objects, check the OS version, get the user name,
minimize your app to system tray and many more functions.

Additional Database Support in PE and EE:

Microsoft (MS) SQL Accelerator:
Provides native access to MS SQL Server databases.

SoftVelocity ODBC Driver Developers License:
Allows you to provide built-in ODBC access to the SoftVelocity
database. This version supports Access 2000 and Crystal Reports 8. The
license is for in-house development and evaluation, additional user
licenses are required for deployment.

Additional Database Support in Enterprise Edition

Oracle Accelerator (single server license):
A 32-bit direct driver for Oracle, the Oracle Accelerator provides
transparent access to the Oracle database for Clarion developers.

New Pricing for Clarion Courseware
We are committed to ensuring every Clarion user has access to good,
solid educational training.  While computer-based-training isn't the
same experience as attending an instructor-lead course because, you
can't ask questions or look at the instructors screen it's the next
best thing.

Effective immediately we are reducing prices by 50% on both the
Foundations and Essentials CBT courses. These courses cover everything
you need to know to get the most out of Clarion, and are just as
relevant for 5.5 users as for 5.0 users. So don't wait any longer,
improve what you know and you'll improve what you can do.

About the Future

There is not enough time nor space in this newsletter to tell you
everything we have been brainstorming, so this column will become a
regular feature.

Our immediate focus is on finishing Clarion 5.5 into the best release ...

read more »

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. CLARION 5.5 GOLD HELP ME

2. Clarion 5.5 Gold Compile Error??

3. CLARION 5.5 GOLD

4. PLS HELP!!!!!! Problem with Clarion 5.5 Gold

5. Clarion 5.5 Gold

6. Tintools 5.5 met 5.5 gold prof.

7. Calrion 5.5 Gold

8. Convert Clarion 2.0 app to Clarion 5.5 apps.

9. Convert app from clarion 4 to clarion 5.5

10. Clarion 5.5 to Clarion 5.5a

11. Clarion 5 to Clarion 5.5