Trojan
Author Message
 Trojan

About 2 months ago, I got a trojan horse on my computer. Norton caught it as
I was running a program that I have used off and on for years, AX-Icons 4.5.

I wound up formatting my hard drive and reinstalling from scratch.

Today, for the first time since reinstalling, I ran Ax-Icons again. Guess
what? Norton found the same trojan!

Be forewarned.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:34:01 GMT
 Trojan
Norton has been known to be overzealous <g>

I used Ax-Icons 4.5 for a number of year without any problems, I would
recommend upgrading to Axialis IconWorkshop Pro, a truly excellent piece of
software, which will also create WindowsXP icons with alpha channels. It
also allows you to import Photoshop files or PNGs, so you can use a real
graphics program for creating the icons and simply tweak and resize them in
IconWorkShop. If you are used to Ax-Icons you won't believe how much better
IconWorkshop Pro is. In my experience the support I have received from
Axialis was phenomenal (they actually sent me some rather helpful source
code for alpha channel manipulation).

Regards,

Sean Cameron
CapeSoft
www.capesoft.com

Quote:
> About 2 months ago, I got a trojan horse on my computer. Norton caught it
as
> I was running a program that I have used off and on for years, AX-Icons
4.5.

> I wound up formatting my hard drive and reinstalling from scratch.

> Today, for the first time since reinstalling, I ran Ax-Icons again. Guess
> what? Norton found the same trojan!

> Be forewarned.

> Regards,
> Dave Schwartz

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:03:14 GMT
 Trojan
Sean,

I appreciate your response. The problem is that after having Norton say that
it was a Trojan, the system began acting like it had a Trojan. I constantly
would find "Proxy Desktop" running and I had to wait for it to shut down
before I could exit Windows. From what I have read on the web, "Proxy
Desktop" is a very popular hacker's portal to your machine.

So, even if NAV is "overzealous" I doubt that I will continue to use
Ax-Icons.

In fairness to them, I have written to their tech support explaining that
whenever I run their software a file called ~s~.exe is created in my Windows
folder which Norton then quarantines. I figured the damage was done, so just
to be sure, I ran Ax-Icons again. Same NAV message, same file. This is not
okay.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
> Norton has been known to be overzealous <g>

> I used Ax-Icons 4.5 for a number of year without any problems, I would
> recommend upgrading to Axialis IconWorkshop Pro, a truly excellent piece
of
> software, which will also create WindowsXP icons with alpha channels. It
> also allows you to import Photoshop files or PNGs, so you can use a real
> graphics program for creating the icons and simply tweak and resize them
in
> IconWorkShop. If you are used to Ax-Icons you won't believe how much
better
> IconWorkshop Pro is. In my experience the support I have received from
> Axialis was phenomenal (they actually sent me some rather helpful source
> code for alpha channel manipulation).

> Regards,

> Sean Cameron
> CapeSoft
> www.capesoft.com

> > About 2 months ago, I got a trojan horse on my computer. Norton caught
it
> as
> > I was running a program that I have used off and on for years, AX-Icons
> 4.5.

> > I wound up formatting my hard drive and reinstalling from scratch.

> > Today, for the first time since reinstalling, I ran Ax-Icons again.
Guess
> > what? Norton found the same trojan!

> > Be forewarned.

> > Regards,
> > Dave Schwartz

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:12:13 GMT
 Trojan

Quote:

> Norton has been known to be overzealous <g>

> I used Ax-Icons 4.5 for a number of year without any problems, I would
> recommend upgrading to Axialis IconWorkshop Pro, a truly excellent piece of
> software,

Ditto here. McAfee has never complained about AXicons or iconworkshop.

Mark

Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:21:09 GMT
 Trojan
Hi Dave,

It may be that Ax-Icon has been infected on your machine, and Norton is
catching it, but can't repair the file. Try downloading IconWorkShop from
the web site. This is certainly not normal behaviour with Ax-Icons or any
other Axialis product.

Regards,

Sean Cameron
CapeSoft
www.capesoft.com

Quote:
> Sean,

> I appreciate your response. The problem is that after having Norton say
that
> it was a Trojan, the system began acting like it had a Trojan. I
constantly
> would find "Proxy Desktop" running and I had to wait for it to shut down
> before I could exit Windows. From what I have read on the web, "Proxy
> Desktop" is a very popular hacker's portal to your machine.

> So, even if NAV is "overzealous" I doubt that I will continue to use
> Ax-Icons.

> In fairness to them, I have written to their tech support explaining that
> whenever I run their software a file called ~s~.exe is created in my
Windows
> folder which Norton then quarantines. I figured the damage was done, so
just
> to be sure, I ran Ax-Icons again. Same NAV message, same file. This is not
> okay.

> Regards,
> Dave Schwartz

> > Norton has been known to be overzealous <g>

> > I used Ax-Icons 4.5 for a number of year without any problems, I would
> > recommend upgrading to Axialis IconWorkshop Pro, a truly excellent piece
> of
> > software, which will also create WindowsXP icons with alpha channels. It
> > also allows you to import Photoshop files or PNGs, so you can use a real
> > graphics program for creating the icons and simply tweak and resize them
> in
> > IconWorkShop. If you are used to Ax-Icons you won't believe how much
> better
> > IconWorkshop Pro is. In my experience the support I have received from
> > Axialis was phenomenal (they actually sent me some rather helpful source
> > code for alpha channel manipulation).

> > Regards,

> > Sean Cameron
> > CapeSoft
> > www.capesoft.com

> > > About 2 months ago, I got a trojan horse on my computer. Norton caught
> it
> > as
> > > I was running a program that I have used off and on for years,
AX-Icons
> > 4.5.

> > > I wound up formatting my hard drive and reinstalling from scratch.

> > > Today, for the first time since reinstalling, I ran Ax-Icons again.
> Guess
> > > what? Norton found the same trojan!

> > > Be forewarned.

> > > Regards,
> > > Dave Schwartz

Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:12:14 GMT
 Trojan
Sean,

I heard back from Ax-Icons.

They said that this program was created by AX-Icons as a security precaution
in version 4.5 but that it was no longer used in newer versions.

I accept their explanation and will consider their products in the future.

Dave

Quote:
> Hi Dave,

> It may be that Ax-Icon has been infected on your machine, and Norton is
> catching it, but can't repair the file. Try downloading IconWorkShop from
> the web site. This is certainly not normal behaviour with Ax-Icons or any
> other Axialis product.

> Regards,

> Sean Cameron
> CapeSoft
> www.capesoft.com

> > Sean,

> > I appreciate your response. The problem is that after having Norton say
> that
> > it was a Trojan, the system began acting like it had a Trojan. I
> constantly
> > would find "Proxy Desktop" running and I had to wait for it to shut down
> > before I could exit Windows. From what I have read on the web, "Proxy
> > Desktop" is a very popular hacker's portal to your machine.

> > So, even if NAV is "overzealous" I doubt that I will continue to use
> > Ax-Icons.

> > In fairness to them, I have written to their tech support explaining
that
> > whenever I run their software a file called ~s~.exe is created in my
> Windows
> > folder which Norton then quarantines. I figured the damage was done, so
> just
> > to be sure, I ran Ax-Icons again. Same NAV message, same file. This is
not
> > okay.

> > Regards,
> > Dave Schwartz

> > > Norton has been known to be overzealous <g>

> > > I used Ax-Icons 4.5 for a number of year without any problems, I would
> > > recommend upgrading to Axialis IconWorkshop Pro, a truly excellent
piece
> > of
> > > software, which will also create WindowsXP icons with alpha channels.
It
> > > also allows you to import Photoshop files or PNGs, so you can use a
real
> > > graphics program for creating the icons and simply tweak and resize
them
> > in
> > > IconWorkShop. If you are used to Ax-Icons you won't believe how much
> > better
> > > IconWorkshop Pro is. In my experience the support I have received from
> > > Axialis was phenomenal (they actually sent me some rather helpful
source
> > > code for alpha channel manipulation).

> > > Regards,

> > > Sean Cameron
> > > CapeSoft
> > > www.capesoft.com

> > it
> > > as
> AX-Icons
> > > 4.5.

> > Guess

Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:15:09 GMT

1. Trojan Help

2. TASM Trojan Macro Library

3. TROJAN HORSE WARNING!

4. Beware Trojan horse in tin newsreader

5. Pickle trojan security issue, fixed?

6. Antigen found Win32/PSW.Hooker 2.4.Trojan (CA(InoculateIT)) virus

7. TROJAN ALERT! (JS/Loop)

8. TROJAN ALERT! (JS/Loop)

9. Trojan Dialer Virus

10. trojan virus