Calling Simon Kemp

Please Help

Cheers

Ed

Quote:
> Simon Kemp's the expert there.

> --
> Ian Holdsworth
> Senior Programmer / Assistant IT Manager
> Response Analysis & Mailing Ltd

> Direct Line:    +44 (0) 20 8880 8866
> Switch Board:   +44 (0) 20 8880 8140
> Fax:            +44 (0) 0870 134 0987

> Web Site:       www.ram-ltd.co.uk

> > Hi All

> > I understand from previous posts that I can Have a win 98 PC use my
> Clation
> > App as the windows Shell by replacing the Shell = explore.exe line in
the
> > system.ini file with my clarion prog.exe.

> > I need to do this on 8 win 98 PC's and 8 Win2k pro PC's (Part of a Call
> > centre - to stop users messing with any and ALL settings on PC's).

> > Basically - All PC's are set up to point to the relevent server and
> printer.
> > The user will Double Click a desktop Shortcut to start the 3rd Party
> > Software (A Pre-dictive dialler telesales client from the server).

> > I Need to write a Clarion program that will display on windows boot up
(Be
> > the windows Shell), and give access to the server via a shortcut (I will
> > prob use a Menu or Toolbar icon)

> > I Need to be able to close down windows and the PC from my Clarion Prog
> > (Probably some API calls required here).

> > If I replace the windows explorer.exe will I still get the Windows
Network
> > Log in Screen, then my Clarion Program?

> > I think I need to Have windows autologon to the server (win 2000 server
&
> > SQL2000 as the DB) then display my clarion Prog.

> > If I need to change some settings on the PC and need to get back into
> > Explrer.exe, what is the best way.

> > I am sure this can be done, any help greatly appreciated

> > Ed
> > C4b-ABC, C5b-ABC & C5.5h-ABC

> > --
> > Edwin Hannan

> > ---

---

Sun, 15 May 2005 04:08:26 GMT
 Making Clarion App the Windows Shell???
Hi Edwin,

Very generous Ian! Story behind his comment is that tired of a 100 call
centre operators messing with their machine's setup we experimented with
replacing explorer as window's shell and have stuck with it. It may not be a
good approach for everyone (or us!) - our alternative shell incorporates a
maintainable menu system (driven from the network) so we've got a decent
replacement for 'start/programs' that's maintained on the server. Desktop
shortcuts disappear and as you rightly say the shell program has to handle
closing/restarting windows using api calls. We're still running 95 OSR2
(yes!). Can't imagine 98 would be a problem (any more than it usually is on
a network <g>) but 2000's likely to require a different approach to 9x? -
something that's looming for us...

All the network login stuff happens before the shell gets launched.

Yeah, we've got it working reliably and are running with it but it wasn't
easy. Part of the justification has been cosmetic - it makes us look a bit
'different' when clients come to call... There are other ways of keeping
users away from critical setup stuff but what we really like is the control
over menus.

You should convince yourself you want to go down this path! If so, I'd be
happy to to supply some dirty details...

Best regards,

Simon.

Quote:
> Calling Simon Kemp

> Please Help

> Cheers

> Ed

> > Simon Kemp's the expert there.

> > --
> > Ian Holdsworth
> > Senior Programmer / Assistant IT Manager
> > Response Analysis & Mailing Ltd

> > Direct Line:    +44 (0) 20 8880 8866
> > Switch Board:   +44 (0) 20 8880 8140
> > Fax:            +44 (0) 0870 134 0987

> > Web Site:       www.ram-ltd.co.uk

> > > Hi All

> > > I understand from previous posts that I can Have a win 98 PC use my
> > Clation
> > > App as the windows Shell by replacing the Shell = explore.exe line in
> the
> > > system.ini file with my clarion prog.exe.

> > > I need to do this on 8 win 98 PC's and 8 Win2k pro PC's (Part of a
Call
> > > centre - to stop users messing with any and ALL settings on PC's).

> > > Basically - All PC's are set up to point to the relevent server and
> > printer.
> > > The user will Double Click a desktop Shortcut to start the 3rd Party
> > > Software (A Pre-dictive dialler telesales client from the server).

> > > I Need to write a Clarion program that will display on windows boot up
> (Be
> > > the windows Shell), and give access to the server via a shortcut (I
will
> > > prob use a Menu or Toolbar icon)

> > > I Need to be able to close down windows and the PC from my Clarion
Prog
> > > (Probably some API calls required here).

> > > If I replace the windows explorer.exe will I still get the Windows
> Network
> > > Log in Screen, then my Clarion Program?

> > > I think I need to Have windows autologon to the server (win 2000
server
> &
> > > SQL2000 as the DB) then display my clarion Prog.

> > > If I need to change some settings on the PC and need to get back into
> > > Explrer.exe, what is the best way.

> > > I am sure this can be done, any help greatly appreciated

> > > Ed
> > > C4b-ABC, C5b-ABC & C5.5h-ABC

> > > --
> > > Edwin Hannan

> > > ---

> ---

Mon, 16 May 2005 03:32:44 GMT
 Making Clarion App the Windows Shell???
On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 19:32:44 -0000, "Simon Kemp"

Quote:

>Hi Edwin,

>Very generous Ian! Story behind his comment is that tired of a 100 call
>centre operators messing with their machine's setup we experimented with
>replacing explorer as window's shell and have stuck with it.

If I get a call at dinnertime from one of your telemarketing whiz's,
I'm going to tell them how to replace your shell with something truly
dangerous. <VBG>

Best Regards
Richard

The AppInit Template Set

www.sylkie.com

"Strip mine asteroids not rain forests!"

Mon, 16 May 2005 05:19:55 GMT
 Making Clarion App the Windows Shell???

Quote:
> >Hi Edwin,

> >Very generous Ian! Story behind his comment is that tired of a 100 call
> >centre operators messing with their machine's setup we experimented with
> >replacing explorer as window's shell and have stuck with it.

> If I get a call at dinnertime from one of your telemarketing whiz's,
> I'm going to tell them how to replace your shell with something truly
> dangerous. <VBG>

You mean like a fluffy little white rabbit<G>

Mon, 16 May 2005 18:25:59 GMT
 Making Clarion App the Windows Shell???
On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 10:25:59 -0000, "Ian Holdsworth"

Quote:

>> >Hi Edwin,

>> >Very generous Ian! Story behind his comment is that tired of a 100 call
>> >centre operators messing with their machine's setup we experimented with
>> >replacing explorer as window's shell and have stuck with it.

>> If I get a call at dinnertime from one of your telemarketing whiz's,
>> I'm going to tell them how to replace your shell with something truly
>> dangerous. <VBG>

>You mean like a fluffy little white rabbit<G>

With long snaggly teeth. <G>

b. rgds.
Richard

Mon, 16 May 2005 19:34:58 GMT
 Making Clarion App the Windows Shell???
"Novell Zenwork for Desktops" does just what you want

You can choose exactly what you user may and may not do

You can find an eval version here

http://www.novell.com/products/zenworks/

Mon, 16 May 2005 21:02:42 GMT
 Making Clarion App the Windows Shell???

Quote:

> You should convince yourself you want to go down this path! If so, I'd be
> happy to to supply some dirty details...

> Best regards,

> Simon.

I would like some of the dirty details because i'm in process of making some
internet/computer cafe software. So i need to control the shell with a timed
login and controled use of programs.

Kind regards
Joost Wolthuis

Mon, 16 May 2005 22:43:51 GMT
 Making Clarion App the Windows Shell???
Mark,

  ZenWorks makes my life sooo much easier.. I love it. It's one of the
best network tools ever produced.

Quote:

> "Novell Zenwork for Desktops" does just what you want

> You can choose exactly what you user may and may not do

> You can find an eval version here

> http://www.novell.com/products/zenworks/

Mon, 16 May 2005 23:07:56 GMT
 Making Clarion App the Windows Shell???
iFolder is another great product from Novell, i'm using it now for a couple
of monts and i love it

"Ron Schofield - Schofield Computer Organization"

Quote:
> Mark,

>   ZenWorks makes my life sooo much easier.. I love it. It's one of the
> best network tools ever produced.

> > "Novell Zenwork for Desktops" does just what you want

> > You can choose exactly what you user may and may not do

> > You can find an eval version here

> > http://www.novell.com/products/zenworks/

Tue, 17 May 2005 16:17:16 GMT

1. Calling Simon Kemp Re: Clarion app as Window Shell

2. Clarion 5 app, windows 98 and windows XP

3. Convert Clarion 2.0 app to Clarion 5.5 apps.

4. Close a Clarion app from another Clarion app?

5. PLEASE HELP re: making Windows App's using Fortran subroutines

6. Making the Tk toplevel window a child windows of my Win32 app

7. I am making aplications in clarion for windows.

8. Deployed app terminates after a MessageBox is displayed before main app shell view is opened

9. Clarion App reports missing RASAPI32.DLL on Windows NT

10. clarion for dos apps & windows 98

11. A Clarion App that crashes some windows

12. Convert DOS-based Clarion App to Windows