CW20: Enhancement \ Fixes : Suggestions
Author Message
 CW20: Enhancement \ Fixes : Suggestions

Below are problems or suggested enhancements to templates that I have
reported several times, but never received an answer on. As of version
CW 2.002.01 these problems still exists.

I was hoping they could be addressed before CW2.003 comes out! <G>

1) In "FileCtrl.TPW"

   #GROUP(%FileControlInitialize)
 -and-
   #GROUP(%FileControlSetFlags)

   We could use an #EMBED point at the end of each of these groups.
   If you are trying to gather this information, or add exrta files
   to %ProcFilesUsed you need to do it at this point.

2) "Control.TPW" - Simon Burrows found this

   On a FORM, (Insert mode) If a user begins to enter data, then presses
   CANCEL, the msg "do you want to save" comes up. If the user presses
the
   CANCEL button on this dialog, then presses the "OK" button on the
form;
   They will get the dreaded ERRORCODE() =3D 33, ("Record Not Available")=

   In the "ClosingWindow" ROUTINE the following should be added under
the
   "IF RecordChanged" area

   IF RecordChanged
       #IF(%ActionOnCancel =3D 'Offer to save changes')
     CASE StandardWarning(Warn:SaveOnCancel)
     OF Button:Yes
       POST(Event:Accepted,%OKControl)
       Update::Reloop =3D 1
       EXIT                                    ! KBE - 2/18/97 Fixes
     OF Button:No
     OF BUTTON:Cancel
       SELECT(%FirstField)
       Update::Reloop =3D 1                      =

       EXIT                                    ! KBE - 2/18/97 Fixes
     END
       #ELSE
     IF StandardWarning(Warn:ConfirmCancel) =3D Button:No
       SELECT(%FirstField)
       Update::Reloop =3D 1
       EXIT                                    ! KBE - 2/18/97 Fixes
     END
       #ENDIF
   END

3) "Relations.TPW"

   You are missing two "ROLLBACK" commands in the update and delete
process.
   If the action on the children fails, you handle the ROLLBACK OK, but
if
   the action fails on the "Parent" you just RETURN.

   I know that when you close the file, w/ a LOGOUT w/o a matching
COMMIT it
   will do a ROLLBACK. But this will not work properly.

   The Forms are not the procedure opening the file, and thus when you
leave
   the Form, back to the Browse, the user will probably do additional
editing
   on other records in the file, before leaving the Browse. If the
browse is
   the procedure opening the file the "Auto Rollback" will occur, but
will
   wipeout all the other chanages the user made. Evn this is not always
correct;
   The files being affected may have been opened as few levels above the
browse
   in question...

Quote:
>> IN: RIUpdate:%[11]File FUNCTION(BYTE FromForm)

   #IF(%LogoutDesired)
       ROLLBACK              ! Added by KBE 1/7/97
   #ENDIF

   Should be added, before the last

       DO RICloseFiles
       RETURN(1)

   This is about 10 lines from the end of the ROUTINE.

   I am not talking about at the end of the ROUTINE the last
       DO RICloseFiles
       RETURN(0)

Quote:
>> IN: RIDelete:%[11]File FUNCTION

   #IF(%LogoutDesired)
       ROLLBACK              ! Added by KBE 1/7/97
   #ENDIF

   Should be added, before the last

       DO RICloseFiles
       RETURN(1)

   This is about 10 lines from the end of the ROUTINE.

   I am not talking about at the end of the ROUTINE the last
       DO RICloseFiles
       RETURN(0)

   This is After the

       DELETE(%CurrentPrimary)

   Inside

   IF ERRORCODE()
          RISaveError
          StandardWarning(Warn:RIDeleteError,'%CurrentPrimary')

4) Also, your "KeyCodes.CLW" file causes us to get "dynamic pool limits"
   when we compile. You have over 700 lines of EQUATES and we found that
   in our entire APP (48 all together) we only use about 51 EQUATES from
   this file.

   Can you figure out a better way of doing this instead of creating so
   many equates?

Thanks for your time and effort in reviewing my concerns\suggestions.
-- =

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Visit our web page      -   http://www.*-*-*.com/

   "Begin a new era of productivity; =

             leave the mundane aspects of programming to us!"=A9
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW20: Enhancement \ Fixes : Suggestions

FYI - CW Phone Support Said post here since it is monitored by Team
Topspeed.

Quote:

> > Below are problems or suggested enhancements to templates that I have
> > reported several times, but never received an answer on. As of version
> > CW 2.002.01 these problems still exists.

> These need to be reported using the Support program in your Clarion group.

> Steve
> --
> Steven C. Gallafent - The Computer Guy

 Software By Ragazzi <===> Specializing in Clarion Add-On Products!
 "Begin a new era of productivity;
        leave the mundane aspects of programming to us!"(c)

 Web page  : http://www.Software-By-Ragazzi.com

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW20: Enhancement \ Fixes : Suggestions

Quote:
> Below are problems or suggested enhancements to templates that I have
> reported several times, but never received an answer on. As of version
> CW 2.002.01 these problems still exists.

These need to be reported using the Support program in your Clarion group.

Steve
--
Steven C. Gallafent - The Computer Guy

Tue, 10 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW20: Enhancement \ Fixes : Suggestions

Hi Kevin,

On Thu, 20 Feb 1997 20:44:02 -0800, "Kevin B. Erskine"

Quote:

>FYI - CW Phone Support Said post here since it is monitored by Team
>Topspeed.
>> These need to be reported using the Support program in your Clarion group.

Personally I think it's time that some TS personel, who KNOW how to do
bug reporting on the internet, let us know how, where and to whom we
are supposed to report bugs!  I have just recently sent some bug
reports to Russ at TS via e-mail, but this is getting extremely
confusing.

IMO it must be far from acceptable from TS's view that bug reports
aren't being sent in because nobody knows how to do it any more and
therefor simple bugs may be go undetected if those who are on CIS
don't find them.

So, Jim, Russ, Mike and other TS people:  Can this be clarified a
bit?:)

Best regards,

|                     Arnor Baldvinsson                            |
| Mail address:  Naestrupvej 44, Sjorring, 7700 Thisted, Denmark   |
| e-mail:                     Web sites:                           |

Tue, 10 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW20: Enhancement \ Fixes : Suggestions

Quote:
> Personally I think it's time that some TS personel, who KNOW how to do
> bug reporting on the internet, let us know how, where and to whom we
> are supposed to report bugs!  I have just recently sent some bug
> reports to Russ at TS via e-mail, but this is getting extremely
> confusing.

I know that Russ has made the offer several times and I have made the offer
before to transfer bug uploads to CompuServe if you will give them to us.
Anyone who has a bug upload from the Support program is welcome to upload
it to ftp://ftp.compguy.com/incoming/ and I will transfer it to CompuServe.
I will add specific information regarding this to my Clarion page when I
update my web pages next week.

Russ is looking at alternate ways of reporting bugs. He and I have talked
about a couple of ideas and is sounds like he is going to start developing
on those ideas. In the meantime, the official way to report bugs (as far as
I know and Russ confirmed this as far as he knows) is to create an upload
file using the Support program. I will gladly handle transfer to CIS for
you if you do not have a CIS account.

Steve
--
Steven C. Gallafent - The Computer Guy

Wed, 11 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW20: Enhancement \ Fixes : Suggestions

Hi Steve,

Quote:
>> Personally I think it's time that some TS personel, who KNOW how to do
>> bug reporting on the internet, let us know how, where and to whom we

>I know that Russ has made the offer several times and I have made the offer
>before to transfer bug uploads to CompuServe if you will give them to us.

>on those ideas. In the meantime, the official way to report bugs (as far as
>I know and Russ confirmed this as far as he knows) is to create an upload
>file using the Support program. I will gladly handle transfer to CIS for
>you if you do not have a CIS account.

Thanks for the offer:)  But personally I feel that it's a bit out in
the bush to use such methods (send bug reports to one person who needs
to send them on etc.).  No offense mate, but I feel this situation
should be handled by Topspeed, not someone else.  Just as TS didn't
want to rely on Icetips IRC server for the IRC sessions, I can't see
why they should rely on someone else for bug reports, which IMO are
much, much more important that IRC.

TS has had two years to make some efforts on bug reports on the
internet, but not done so yet, until the mail box with 2.003beta.
That is really all it takes.  If they can set up mail addresses for
their employes and beta bug reporting, they can just as well set it up
for normal bug reports.

Best regards,

|                     Arnor Baldvinsson                            |
| Mail address:  Naestrupvej 44, Sjorring, 7700 Thisted, Denmark   |
| e-mail:                     Web sites:                           |

Thu, 12 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW20: Enhancement \ Fixes : Suggestions

Arnor,

We have done this before when we beta test.  When the beta test is over,
the mail entry may be removed as it has served its purpose.  BTW, in those
two years we have enhanced our products, released some new ones and only
the last year or so has this group really taken off.  I do not totally
agree that we have had those two years that you suggest.  That is about the
same as me saying that you have had, what? 9 months to get your CW 1.5
upgraded?  (For the record, I know why you have not upgraded, not picking
on you, just pointing out similiar situations).

FWIW, I am working on an app that I would like to use with the upcoming
Internet Connect.  3 guesses as to what the app is about and the first two
are wrong <bg>.

BTW - Before anyone gets any ideas, I am doing this as my own experiment.
I have not been assigned this duty.  However, I do welcome any suggestions!
--
Russell B. Eggen
Topspeed_Corporation.ConsultingDivision()

[Using MS Internet News]

Quote:
> Hi Steve,

> TS has had two years to make some efforts on bug reports on the
> internet, but not done so yet, until the mail box with 2.003beta.
> That is really all it takes.  If they can set up mail addresses for
> their employes and beta bug reporting, they can just as well set it up
> for normal bug reports.

> Best regards,

> +------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |                     Arnor Baldvinsson                            |
> | Mail address:  Naestrupvej 44, Sjorring, 7700 Thisted, Denmark   |
> |------------------------------------------------------------------|
> | e-mail:                     Web sites:                           |

> +------------------------------------------------------------------+

Thu, 12 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW20: Enhancement \ Fixes : Suggestions

Hi Russ,

Quote:
>We have done this before when we beta test.  When the beta test is over,
>the mail entry may be removed as it has served its purpose.  BTW, in those
>two years we have enhanced our products, released some new ones and only
>the last year or so has this group really taken off.  I do not totally

This newsgroup has only been here a year, so it's no wonder it hadn't
taken off before that<bg>  All I'm saying is that I can't see the big
problem of creating a single entry point for bug reports on the
internet.  I know that both you and Steven are very busy with other
stuff and don't see why bug-report-hunting should be added to your
already busy schedules.

Quote:
>agree that we have had those two years that you suggest.  That is about the
>same as me saying that you have had, what? 9 months to get your CW 1.5
>upgraded?  (For the record, I know why you have not upgraded, not picking
>on you, just pointing out similiar situations).

I know you know;)  Well, if TS's situation is similar to mine, your in
deep sh..<g>  Being sick, no job, no money, no nothing - no, then you
could just as well pack your bags and go home;)  I'm not overly
thrilled with shelling out the 3-400 dollars for a software upgrade
(ANY software upgrade for that matter!) when all I have is 800 dollars
a month in sickness benefits!

Quote:
>FWIW, I am working on an app that I would like to use with the upcoming
>Internet Connect.  3 guesses as to what the app is about and the first two
>are wrong <bg>.

Does that mean your IP will allow a public incoming directory for TS
any time soon?

Best regards,

|                     Arnor Baldvinsson                            |
| Mail address:  Naestrupvej 44, Sjorring, 7700 Thisted, Denmark   |
| e-mail:                     Web sites:                           |

Thu, 12 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW20: Enhancement \ Fixes : Suggestions

Arnor,

I am still in "design mode" on it and have already received some very good
suggestions on what features are needed (thanks Steve!).

When I get to the internet portion, I'll "burn that bridge when I get to
it" <bg>.  That issue, I have not at this time addressed.  But thanks for
pointing it out.  I have added that to my list.
--
Russell B. Eggen
Topspeed_Corporation.ConsultingDivision()

[Using MS Internet News]

Quote:
> Hi Russ,

> Does that mean your IP will allow a public incoming directory for TS
> any time soon?

> Best regards,

> +------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |                     Arnor Baldvinsson                            |
> | Mail address:  Naestrupvej 44, Sjorring, 7700 Thisted, Denmark   |
> |------------------------------------------------------------------|
> | e-mail:                     Web sites:                           |

> +------------------------------------------------------------------+

Thu, 12 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW20: Enhancement \ Fixes : Suggestions

Hi Russ

Quote:
> FWIW, I am working on an app that I would like to use with the upcoming
> Internet Connect.  3 guesses as to what the app is about and the first
two
> are wrong <bg>.

I feel like a jilted lover now... Some four months ago I offered my Perl
programming skills (for free I may add) to Topspeed in order to write a web
page (HTML Form / CGI script) to report bugs with.  Now you still don't
have a working internet interface to your bug report program.  What a
shame.

Quote:
> BTW - Before anyone gets any ideas, I am doing this as my own experiment.
> I have not been assigned this duty.

Oh, I guess that makes it all right then.  For a moment there I thought
nobody loved me!

--
Fred Trter
Sarcasm is my Achilles heel, I know.

Fri, 13 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW20: Enhancement \ Fixes : Suggestions

Hi Fred!

Perl?  You must be joking! <g>  We are, after all, a *Clarion* shop! <bg>

Actually, thank you for the offer.  However, it does take just a wee bit
more than just making an app.

I thought this would be a nifty idea to use our Internet Connect product in
action with a live application.  After all, what good is a cook who won't
eat his own creations? <vbg>
--
Russell B. Eggen
Topspeed_Corporation.ConsultingDivision()

[Using MS Internet News]

PS - Sorry about the jilting.  We do I send the flowers?

Quote:
> Hi Russ

> I feel like a jilted lover now... Some four months ago I offered my Perl
> programming skills (for free I may add) to Topspeed in order to write a
web
> page (HTML Form / CGI script) to report bugs with.  Now you still don't
> have a working internet interface to your bug report program.  What a
> shame.

> > BTW - Before anyone gets any ideas, I am doing this as my own
experiment.

> > I have not been assigned this duty.

> Oh, I guess that makes it all right then.  For a moment there I thought
> nobody loved me!

> --
> Fred Trter
> Sarcasm is my Achilles heel, I know.

Fri, 13 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW20: Enhancement \ Fixes : Suggestions

Hi Fred,

Quote:
>> FWIW, I am working on an app that I would like to use with the upcoming
>> Internet Connect.  3 guesses as to what the app is about and the first
>I feel like a jilted lover now... Some four months ago I offered my Perl
>programming skills (for free I may add) to Topspeed in order to write a web
>page (HTML Form / CGI script) to report bugs with.  Now you still don't
>have a working internet interface to your bug report program.  What a
>shame.

Sigh!  That page has existed on my hard disk for...  over a year
now<g>  No place to put it up to;)

Best regards,

|                     Arnor Baldvinsson                            |
| Mail address:  Naestrupvej 44, Sjorring, 7700 Thisted, Denmark   |
| e-mail:                     Web sites:                           |

Fri, 13 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Enhancement suggestion (half-baked)

2. Simple View Composer Enhancement Suggestions

3. Inviting feature enhancement suggestions for gnuplotfortran

4. Whats about following enhancement suggestion?

5. Enhancement suggestion regarding menus

6. Suggestion for Enhancement to Tcl

7. Beta 3 Enhancements and Bug Fixes

8. IBM ObjectRexx Fixes & Enhancement Requests

9. Fixes/Enhancements to CGI::Session

10. Bug fixes and enhancements to the panedwindow widget

11. bug-, fixes-, and suggestions-database for DoME

12. VSE refactoring browser fix and fix needed