Data Extraction
Author Message
 Data Extraction

I have an application that was written in the early to mid '90s (DOS based)
and all that I can conclude is that it was written in SOME version of
Clarion.  Since I am not very familiar with Clarion, and it is difficult to
find information for such an old version of the framework, I'm having
trouble. My main problem is that the original application writers are no
longer in business.  I have been asked to help write a new application, but
must get the data out of the existing system.

In the research and help I've gotten thus far, I've been directed to a
'ccvt.exe' converter.  However, every 'Clarion' type file (.DAT, .K0?, and
.MEM) that I try a conversion on says 'Invalid Input File'.  I've also
received the suggestion to use a 'cscn.exe' app.  Allegedly this is supposed
to represent the info in some type of spreadsheet form, but when I use it,
it looks more like a hexviewer and doesn't appear to be anything I can use
to extract.  If anyone knows of another method or has an idea of what I'm
doing wrong I'd appreciate it.

Thank you for your help,

Ryan Roland

Sun, 11 Dec 2005 03:55:13 GMT
 Data Extraction
On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:55:13 -0500, "Ryan Roland"
<snip>

Quote:
>In the research and help I've gotten thus far, I've been directed to a
>'ccvt.exe' converter.  However, every 'Clarion' type file (.DAT, .K0?, and
>.MEM) that I try a conversion on says 'Invalid Input File'.  I've also
>received the suggestion to use a 'cscn.exe' app.  Allegedly this is supposed
>to represent the info in some type of spreadsheet form, but when I use it,
>it looks more like a hexviewer and doesn't appear to be anything I can use
>to extract.  If anyone knows of another method or has an idea of what I'm
>doing wrong I'd appreciate it.

CCVT and CSCN are old DOS based programs.  As such, they are really
picky about long directory names.  Move the data files to a directory
with a short file name (such as C:\TEMP) and then try to convert or
scan them.

Jason

Sun, 11 Dec 2005 04:19:39 GMT
 Data Extraction
Hello Ryan,

Are you sure that the DAT files are Clarion?
Scanner (CSCN)  is reading the file as a non Clarion type.
Can you send me a single DAT file to look at?

Dave Bratovich

Quote:
> I have an application that was written in the early to mid '90s (DOS
based)
> and all that I can conclude is that it was written in SOME version of
> Clarion.  Since I am not very familiar with Clarion, and it is difficult
> find information for such an old version of the framework, I'm having
> trouble. My main problem is that the original application writers are no
> longer in business.  I have been asked to help write a new application,
but
> must get the data out of the existing system.

> In the research and help I've gotten thus far, I've been directed to a
> 'ccvt.exe' converter.  However, every 'Clarion' type file (.DAT, .K0?, and
> .MEM) that I try a conversion on says 'Invalid Input File'.  I've also
> received the suggestion to use a 'cscn.exe' app.  Allegedly this is
supposed
> to represent the info in some type of spreadsheet form, but when I use it,
> it looks more like a hexviewer and doesn't appear to be anything I can use
> to extract.  If anyone knows of another method or has an idea of what I'm
> doing wrong I'd appreciate it.

> Thank you for your help,

> Ryan Roland

Sun, 11 Dec 2005 04:21:03 GMT
 Data Extraction
That's the ticket, also blanks in a Dir name will do the same.
db

Quote:
> On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:55:13 -0500, "Ryan Roland"

> <snip>
> >In the research and help I've gotten thus far, I've been directed to a
> >'ccvt.exe' converter.  However, every 'Clarion' type file (.DAT, .K0?,
and
> >.MEM) that I try a conversion on says 'Invalid Input File'.  I've also
> >received the suggestion to use a 'cscn.exe' app.  Allegedly this is
supposed
> >to represent the info in some type of spreadsheet form, but when I use
it,
> >it looks more like a hexviewer and doesn't appear to be anything I can
use
> >to extract.  If anyone knows of another method or has an idea of what I'm
> >doing wrong I'd appreciate it.

> CCVT and CSCN are old DOS based programs.  As such, they are really
> picky about long directory names.  Move the data files to a directory
> with a short file name (such as C:\TEMP) and then try to convert or
> scan them.

> Jason

Sun, 11 Dec 2005 04:36:19 GMT
 Data Extraction
If all else fails then Data Junction will convert DAT files to a varitey
of other formats.

Gary

Quote:

> I have an application that was written in the early to mid '90s (DOS based)
> and all that I can conclude is that it was written in SOME version of
> Clarion.  Since I am not very familiar with Clarion, and it is difficult to
> find information for such an old version of the framework, I'm having
> trouble. My main problem is that the original application writers are no
> longer in business.  I have been asked to help write a new application, but
> must get the data out of the existing system.

> In the research and help I've gotten thus far, I've been directed to a
> 'ccvt.exe' converter.  However, every 'Clarion' type file (.DAT, .K0?, and
> .MEM) that I try a conversion on says 'Invalid Input File'.  I've also
> received the suggestion to use a 'cscn.exe' app.  Allegedly this is supposed
> to represent the info in some type of spreadsheet form, but when I use it,
> it looks more like a hexviewer and doesn't appear to be anything I can use
> to extract.  If anyone knows of another method or has an idea of what I'm
> doing wrong I'd appreciate it.

> Thank you for your help,

> Ryan Roland

Sun, 11 Dec 2005 10:59:20 GMT

1. tps data extraction or data recovery

2. data extraction from screen or text file

3. Help please/Data extraction from Lotus for clipper

4. Server-client-development / Data-extraction without databaseaccess

5. File Data Extraction Approach

6. Extraction of data from Clarion 2.1 for DOS to Access 97

7. envy 4.0 extraction...any takers?

8. field extraction

9. figures extraction in a postcript file

10. small extraction

11. Multiline Record Gawk extraction problem

12. Help on Bank Extraction