Commercial CFW applications
Author Message
 Commercial CFW applications

Quote:
>Can someone tell me about a few apps developed in CFW.

We are doing sales personnel support.

Quote:
>What I really want to know is the average size of the databases
>being used. ie. The number of tables and average number of
>records per table.

Over 100 tables. Only a few of them really large. I don't have average
numbers, but the five important tables are about 10 megs total, with the
total number of records somewhere between 100.000 and 200.000.

Quote:
>I'd also like to know the speed degradation
>relevant to the number of records.

We didn't do any measurements, but didn't notice any speed degradation
either. Those inefficiencies that we encountered were due to coding
sloppiness or bad network connections, not to database size.

BTW we're using the TopSpeed drivers. Other drivers might display different
behaviour.

Regards,
-Joachim
Joachim Durchholz, +49(9132)82-3150, speaking for himself, not for INA.
KOA, INA Werk Schaeffler, Industriestr.1-3, D-91074 Herzogenaurach

Sat, 02 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Commercial CFW applications

Hi Roaan,

Quote:
> Can someone tell me about a few apps developed in CFW.
> What I really want to know is the average size of the databases
> being used. ie. The number of tables and average number of
> records per table. I'd also like to know the speed degradation
> relevant to the number of records.

We have a number of commercial apps in CW out there, but it's
difficult to answer your questions.  I'll try though <g>.

We've got 2 different invoicing systems, both installed on networks,
with the usual numbers of files that entails (about 30 data files or
so) using the Clarion file driver (not the fastest I know, but I can
do automatic upgrading on them ) with numbers of records going from
about 10 to 10000 records per file.  Speed is certainly acceptable
most of the time - it's only when they do a calculation spanning 5
years of data that it takes some time to complete <g>.

We've also got a customer database installed (very simple program)
with about 100 000 records which doesn't appear to go any slower than
the others.  Of course the windows scrolling speed doesn't approach
that capable by Dos programs, but that's to be expected.

The things that do take more time with more records is commands like
Build & Pack.  These are however very memory dependant and adding
more memory can speed up these operations considerably.

There are some other apps as well, but they aren't really database
apps in the sense that they don't have 10's of 1000's of records, but
more like 100's of records.

HTH's
Cheers
Bruce

Sat, 02 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Commercial CFW applications

Quote:

> Hi All

> Can someone tell me about a few apps developed in CFW.

> What I really want to know is the average size of the databases
> being used. ie. The number of tables and average number of
> records per table. I'd also like to know the speed degradation
> relevant to the number of records.

> TIA

> Roaan

Roaan,

I have a customer for which I developped an invoice system and inventory
control. The price list in this system has actualy near 600,000 records using
TopSpeed file driver. It is a lot faster than the previous version whcih used
the Clarion file format for the same qty of records.

Sun, 03 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Commercial CFW applications

Quote:

>Hi All
>Can someone tell me about a few apps developed in CFW.
>What I really want to know is the average size of the databases
>being used. ie. The number of tables and average number of
>records per table. I'd also like to know the speed degradation
>relevant to the number of records.
>TIA
>Roaan

Rooan,
    Because CW uses driver technology, the bettter question would be
what drivers are you using and is the speed acceptable.  The reason is
that an ASCII file with a 1 million records is going to be slow no
matter what you do.  Using the TopSpeed file format is going to be
faster yet, but if you are on a network and connected to a
Client/Server database you are going to get different results yet.  Do
you have Oracle and the native driver, are you using the standard
templates and ODBC or a custom 3rd party SQL template.  All of these
are relevant when asking this question.  I have been working with a
client on a conversion from DOS 2.1 where they have one file with
300K+ records and it is very fast....

Mike Gould
| Michael Gould                                              |
| TopSpeed Corporation - Consulting Division                 |
| Team TopSpeed - Internet                                   |

| CIS   :  71756,3176                                        |

Sun, 03 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Commercial CFW applications

Quote:
>What I really want to know is the average size of the databases
>being used. ie. The number of tables and average number of
>records per table. I'd also like to know the speed degradation
>relevant to the number of records.

We have just finished two projects in CW, both using the TopSpeed
Driver. At the moment the file sizes aren't megabytes but they can get
that size, but what we have tested so far is quicker that the same two
apps developed in CPD 2.1.

HTH,

Colin Wynn (Team TopSpeed Internet!)
----------

CMW Software Design, Development & Support

  CIS: 100520,552
Phone: 01420 473637

Mon, 04 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. "Importing From Application" with CFW 2003

2. "Importing From Application" with CFW 2003

3. how do i create a directory from a CFW 2.0 application

4. using a functional language for a commercial application

5. language for commercial applications on Windows?

6. Large commercial application

7. Commercial application developed using Oberon??

8. Commercial Applications written in Eiffel ?

9. can anyone tell me about any commercial applications written in eiffel ?(for polytech report)

10. Commercial applications using an embedded lisp ?

11. VRML commercial uses / business applications

12. Calling scheme/lisp from C shared object - commercial application