CW Review in DBMS
Author Message
 CW Review in DBMS

Check out the June 1996 DBMS mag.  On page 92 there is a 4 page
review of CW.

Troy
Information Packaging Unlimited

Sun, 01 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 CW Review in DBMS

Quote:
>Check out the June 1996 DBMS mag.  On page 92 there is a 4 page
>review of CW.

Whats it like Troy? (Nice to see you are still around. Hows tricks?)

Colin Wynn (Team TopSpeed Internet!)
----------

CMW Software Design, Development & Support

  CIS: 100520,552
Phone: 01420 473637

Sun, 01 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 CW Review in DBMS

Quote:

>Whats it like Troy? (Nice to see you are still around. Hows tricks?)

It was a good article I did not notice any bias or bad incorrect
information.  DBMS is big on SQL and enterprise type stuff.  The
conclusion was that Clarion is great for independent developers who
are advanced enought to modify & create templates.  He thought that CW
was missing (from 1.5) Team development, Version Control etc. all the
stuff needed for multi developer apps.  This is all true CW was not
designed for multi user.  2.0 enterprise will be the first step on the
road to team development.

One other complaint he had that shows the ignorance of the general
programming communitity of templates.  He mentioned he did not want to
learn a second language (ie the template language) just to be
productive in Clarion.  What he is missing is yes template programming
is different then CW code but it generates code!  It adds to the CW
IDE I don't think there is a more powerfull programming tool then
templates.  They are really hard to describe properly and I did not do
them justice in this paragraph.

I have been always an Underground type of Clarion programmer.  Never
calling tech support or using the NET or Compuserve.  However in the
last 4 weeks I have taken on an MS SQL project in CW.  And if you have
not noticed the ONLY information about ODBC or SQL with CW is from the
net or compuserve.  The project started out a Delphi 6 months ago but
was taking to much time.  When we started the project I was told that
no one or only 1 or 2 people were messing with CW and C/S  (ie Ross
and Andy)  and it was still in its beginning stages.

Well my Clarion utilities and Trax kind of went to DOS heaven.  I had
created them for my self then the Tech Journal was the perfect place
to sell them.  You know about the 3.0 problems no one was ordering 3rd
party tools for about a year.  The Journal went under.  CW was
released etc.  But I have allways been using Clarion the tools were
just to result of my programming.

Troy    (was Problem Solver Systems in the good ol days)
Information Packaging Unlimited

Tue, 03 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. mini review on BYTE mini review on J

2. Reviews and pointers to reviews about implementation

3. Book review review

4. Matisse 6.0 DBMS Supports VisualWorks 7

5. Search for Object-Oriented DBMS

6. Btrieve/relational DBMS

7. DBMS extensions for Smalltalk st80?

8. Clarification on SQL/DBMS/DBF's