Speach Input Question 
Author Message
 Speach Input Question

Hi. Has anyone had experience using Speach Input for data entry
(Dragon,IBM,etc.)  If so, is it much of a problem?
Thanks


Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Speach Input Question
Be prepared to spend hours (weeks) to tune you system before it can give you
85% of what you expect.
We tested several of those products for our people suffering from RSI.

BTW there is a cheap version from Philips (Holland) for English and Dutch.
Not very good but not very bad either compared to its big brothers (for a
lot less money - about $ 50,-).

The sales people would tell you that their products are the bests <of course
they do> but it remains to be seen.

Didier



Quote:
> Hi. Has anyone had experience using Speach Input for data entry
> (Dragon,IBM,etc.)  If so, is it much of a problem?
> Thanks



Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Speach Input Question

Quote:

>BTW there is a cheap version from Philips (Holland) for English and Dutch.
>Not very good but not very bad either compared to its big brothers (for a
>lot less money - about $ 50,-).

Didier, do you have any links to this,

TIA
Ian



Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Speach Input Question
The July  "PC Magazine " by ZD Net have done a review on Voice Recog.

Accuracy

ViaVoice 93.26%
Naturally Speaking (Dragon) 92.45%
Voice Xpress 88.54%

Brief Summary.
Overall better than last year but still need massive resource overhead.
Dragon was the one that came out tops, by its ease of use for being able to
use windows without touching the keyboard or mouse compared to the rest.

As mentioned in the other thread still takes time to setup but these things
get better the more you use them as they continually learn, and probably to
a certain extent so does the user become better at controlling their voice
(Daleks spring to mind here).

But these are for general purpose use like WP. If you are to have just a
limited dictionary then they fair a lot lot better which is backed up by the
use of V.R. being used in warehouses now which are generally considered
hostile environments.

At the end of the day, its down to your requirements.

Good luck.

BTW I've been using the old IBM via voice which isn't naturally speaking
(dictation only) but have had good results from that for WP only downside is
its too slow for practicle use.



Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Speach Input Question
I have been using Dragon Naturally speaking for dictating my office
notes. I have been able to use it for imput in my clarion app. There is
a developers version which van be used to add speach recogniton to your
app but it is intended to be used with activex controls and I havent had
the time to work with it.
Dragon definately works and is the best , is accurate but requires a
fast machine (>266mhz) preferably pentium iii but mmx will work. > 128
megs memory and a good sound card. (generics dont work well.) Accuracy
is > 95 percent under best circumstances.The most recent version only
takes about 30 minutes of training and is very accurate from the
beginning.  Their website I beleive is www.dragonsys.com
David
Quote:

> Hi. Has anyone had experience using Speach Input for data entry
> (Dragon,IBM,etc.)  If so, is it much of a problem?
> Thanks



Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Speach Input Question
Thanks to all of you.  This gives me some concrete stuff to go on.  As you
know, the sales types can do anything(with our money & time!).  At this time
my need is not pressing, so I may wait a bit for a little more dust to
settle.
Quote:

> I have been using Dragon Naturally speaking for dictating my office
> notes. I have been able to use it for imput in my clarion app. There is
> a developers version which van be used to add speach recogniton to your
> app but it is intended to be used with activex controls and I havent had
> the time to work with it.
> Dragon definately works and is the best , is accurate but requires a
> fast machine (>266mhz) preferably pentium iii but mmx will work. > 128
> megs memory and a good sound card. (generics dont work well.) Accuracy
> is > 95 percent under best circumstances.The most recent version only
> takes about 30 minutes of training and is very accurate from the
> beginning.  Their website I beleive is www.dragonsys.com
> David


> > Hi. Has anyone had experience using Speach Input for data entry
> > (Dragon,IBM,etc.)  If so, is it much of a problem?
> > Thanks



Wed, 14 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Sound, Speach synthesis, Squeak and VW

2. Sound in VRML world and Speach using Microphone.

3. SAVE-INPUT RESTORE-INPUT

4. SAVE-INPUT and RESTORE-INPUT

5. Input File Size Limitations - Newbie question

6. standard input and output question

7. Need input on this question!

8. Barcode input question

9. Serious question: Block versus Sequential input

10. Input stream questions

11. Question: Reading input...

12. Question about character input

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software