Browse select or Drop list ?
Author Message
 Browse select or Drop list ?

If in a window you set a field and you have to decide whether to use a Drop
List or call a Browse to select the item:  What is a reasonable number of
records in the file populating the list that would make you decide to call
the Browse instead of using the Drop List?
Is this an issue ? Are Drop Lists slower than Browses whwn dealing with a
file with a large number of records?
TFYO

Ygnacio Moreno.

Wed, 11 Feb 2004 06:02:46 GMT
 Browse select or Drop list ?
Hi Ygnacio,

Yes.  File Drops read every record in the file into the queue.  This
could take a long time if there where hundreds of thousands of
records.  It is perceptible to the end user when there only only
several hundred records.   I wouldn't use a file drop with more than
about 20 records, for usabiltiy reasons anyway.

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 18:02:46 -0400, "Ygnacio Moreno"

Quote:

>If in a window you set a field and you have to decide whether to use a Drop
>List or call a Browse to select the item:  What is a reasonable number of
>records in the file populating the list that would make you decide to call
>the Browse instead of using the Drop List?
>Is this an issue ? Are Drop Lists slower than Browses whwn dealing with a
>file with a large number of records?
>TFYO

>Ygnacio Moreno.

Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:59:24 GMT
 Browse select or Drop list ?
Hi Gregory,
Wow!; I thought responses would be in the 5000 and up ranges.
Have to test some more...
Thanks for your response.

Ygnacio Moreno.

Quote:

>Hi Ygnacio,

>Yes.  File Drops read every record in the file into the queue.  This
>could take a long time if there where hundreds of thousands of
>records.  It is perceptible to the end user when there only only
>several hundred records.   I wouldn't use a file drop with more than
>about 20 records, for usabiltiy reasons anyway.

Thu, 12 Feb 2004 04:22:53 GMT
 Browse select or Drop list ?
Ygnacio,

If you populate a "normal" browse control template, it has the loading
method set to page-loaded by default.  If you then set the Drop property to
something > 0, you might have a page-loaded drop list.  The reason I say
might is that I don't know if it automatically uses file-loaded when it
"sees" that you have the Drop property set.  You should be able to see from
the code that is generated.

--

Jay Guengerich
Reliable Development Corp.

C5EEb ABC, CW2.003, CFD 3.102

Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:18:06 GMT

1. Multi. select drop down list box

2. File Drop List pre-select

3. Edit Drop List in Browse - C4b

4. Drop down list box on browse window -- to filter

5. Drop List in Edit in Place Browse Box

6. Drag and drop between browse lists

7. how to select correct browse list in CW2

8. Record select in Browse List

9. Multi-Select Items In Browse/List Box

10. Clarion Browse using SQL doing a SELECT ASC and then SELECT DESC

11. How To restrict child browse to selected parent browse record

12. LIST BOX AND DROP DOWN LIST BOX