Same Old Question - MORE REPORTS?
Author Message
 Same Old Question - MORE REPORTS?

I have customers that continually ask me to create MORE REPORTS for them.

Is there a 3rd Party software that I can tell them to buy that will allow
them to create their own reports, without having Clarion/TopSpeed???

Or.... is there a way to EXPORT a TopSpeed Data base to Access or Excel?

Thanks.
Angelo

Tue, 03 Jun 2003 00:56:24 GMT
 Same Old Question - MORE REPORTS?
  I Have exported tps files to foxpro26 and ODBC (Microsoft SQL)   The
Microsoft SQL can be read and written by ACCESS.  I even think Foxpro26 can
be read and written to by Access.  There is a list of file drivers that are
supported by Clarion.  Build a table in the dictionary modeling the table
you wish to export. and select the file driver say foxpro26.  Then from the
dictionary browse the file you wish to export and select convert file.  It
will step you though a series of steps and build a conversion program.  You
can look at this program and model your code after it.     cheers.

Quote:
> I have customers that continually ask me to create MORE REPORTS for them.

> Is there a 3rd Party software that I can tell them to buy that will allow
> them to create their own reports, without having Clarion/TopSpeed???

> Or.... is there a way to EXPORT a TopSpeed Data base to Access or Excel?

> Thanks.
> Angelo

Mon, 02 Jun 2003 22:30:42 GMT
 Same Old Question - MORE REPORTS?
Hi Angelo,

Try Fomin Reporter, it is a very robust reporter for the end users,
especially it requires almost no programming experience at all!!

Thanks.

Kelvin Chua
SINGAPORE
10:27 14 DEC 2000

Quote:
> I have customers that continually ask me to create MORE REPORTS for them.

> Is there a 3rd Party software that I can tell them to buy that will allow
> them to create their own reports, without having Clarion/TopSpeed???

> Or.... is there a way to EXPORT a TopSpeed Data base to Access or Excel?

> Thanks.
> Angelo

Tue, 03 Jun 2003 14:27:48 GMT
 Same Old Question - MORE REPORTS?

Quote:
> I have customers that continually ask me to create MORE REPORTS for them.

> Is there a 3rd Party software that I can tell them to buy that will allow
> them to create their own reports, without having Clarion/TopSpeed???

> Or.... is there a way to EXPORT a TopSpeed Data base to Access or Excel?

Angelo,

You have a wide variety of options in the "Create More Reports" options
category! :-)

Just some of the add-on's you can incorporate into your program that
will allow customers to create their own reports include:

Product Description - ARCO Word Reporter, MFG - ARCO Software AG
Internet Link - http://www.arcosoftware.com/devtools/devtools.html

Product Description - Fomin Report Builder, MFG - Oleg Fomin
Internet Link - http://members.xoom.com/fominrb/frb_eng.htm

Product Description - List & Label Templates, MFG - Solace Software
Internet Link - http://www.solace-software.demon.co.uk/templates.htm

Product Description - Report Wizard, MFG - Nice Touch Solutions
Internet Link - http://www.clariontools.com/clarion/default.htm

And there is the standalone report writer from SoftVelocity itself:

Product Description - Clarion ReportWriter, MFG - SoftVelocity, Inc
Internet Link - http://www.softvelocity.com/products/pr_reporting_RW.htm

Here's some options for exporting a TPS file for use in Access or Excel:

Product Description - IMPEX Import Export Templates, MFG - Sterling Data
Internet Link - http://www.sterlingdata.com/impex.htm

Product Description - Spreadsheet Wizard, MFG - Nice Touch Solutions
Internet Link - http://www.clariontools.com/clarion/default.htm
Note - In V2, Customer must have Excel, and must develop in C5.5

David
--
From Encourager Software - David Troxell,

Author of Product Scope 32 PRO -
Profile Exchanges - Clarion Third Party, Clarion Application,
Newsgroup - Email, HTML, PRO Music USB, and Search Engines
http://www.encouragersoftware.com/

Mon, 02 Jun 2003 22:42:28 GMT
 Same Old Question - MORE REPORTS?
the place to dig for clarion accesories and addons is the Clarion Connection
http://www.tomruby.com/clarion/

    There are a variety of 3rd party tools that can assist with reporting and
data exporting.  All of them that I can think of have a description/links on
the Connection

        Tim

Quote:

> I have customers that continually ask me to create MORE REPORTS for them.

> Is there a 3rd Party software that I can tell them to buy that will allow
> them to create their own reports, without having Clarion/TopSpeed???

> Or.... is there a way to EXPORT a TopSpeed Data base to Access or Excel?

> Thanks.
> Angelo

Mon, 02 Jun 2003 23:18:39 GMT
 Same Old Question - MORE REPORTS?
Kelvin,

I bought Fomin Reporter recently and incorporated it into one of my apps
with the idea that someone with "no programming experience at all" (my
users <g>) would be able to use it to free me from needing to constantly
writing reports.  My experience has been that it is _FAR_ from
"intuitive" for a non-Clarion user.  In the end, I pulled it out of my
app and am looking at Crystal Reports as an alternative.

Al

Quote:

> Hi Angelo,

> Try Fomin Reporter, it is a very robust reporter for the end users,
> especially it requires almost no programming experience at all!!

> Thanks.

> Kelvin Chua
> SINGAPORE
> 10:27 14 DEC 2000

> > I have customers that continually ask me to create MORE REPORTS for them.

> > Is there a 3rd Party software that I can tell them to buy that will allow
> > them to create their own reports, without having Clarion/TopSpeed???

> > Or.... is there a way to EXPORT a TopSpeed Data base to Access or Excel?

> > Thanks.
> > Angelo

Tue, 03 Jun 2003 01:15:56 GMT
 Same Old Question - MORE REPORTS?
If you want him to buy the product and do the whole job himself, the
only options are the Clarion ReportWriter or Crystal Reports (you may
need to get him an ODBC driver too).

If you are willing to adapt the software, there are many third-party
options.  The two I use are:

List & Label - allows you to incorporate a full-blown report generator
into your application with full control over the data the user sees.
You must get the Solace templates too.  They'll save an awful lot of
time.

Spreadsheet Wizard - this is great if your users could not cope with a
report generator and you have a reasonable idea of the kind of data
they want to analyse.  There is a Report Wizard too, but I let them get
the basic data into a spreadsheet and do their own thing from there.

Richard

Tue, 03 Jun 2003 19:01:29 GMT
 Same Old Question - MORE REPORTS?
Hi Rich

Commission in the post. <g>

Cheers
Simon Burrows
*** NEW *** Screen Redesigner templates - Let your customers change your
screen layouts and control properties to suit their needs at runtime.
Unlimited report layouts, defined by your user at runtime in your Clarion
application
Home of the Clarion List & Label Templates
Free template sets
http://www.solace-software.demon.co.uk

If you want him to buy the product and do the whole job himself, the
only options are the Clarion ReportWriter or Crystal Reports (you may
need to get him an ODBC driver too).

If you are willing to adapt the software, there are many third-party
options.  The two I use are:

List & Label - allows you to incorporate a full-blown report generator
into your application with full control over the data the user sees.
You must get the Solace templates too.  They'll save an awful lot of
time.

Spreadsheet Wizard - this is great if your users could not cope with a
report generator and you have a reasonable idea of the kind of data
they want to analyse.  There is a Report Wizard too, but I let them get
the basic data into a spreadsheet and do their own thing from there.

Richard

Tue, 03 Jun 2003 19:09:30 GMT
 Same Old Question - MORE REPORTS?
Please excuse a non Clarion user for butting in.

I really like Crystal Reports and have used them for several projects.

I bought the Topspeed ODBC drivers so I could create some reports from
TPS tables created by Aphelion Software.

As long as I only access one table at a time all is well.  But, so far
I'm unable to do joins.

Have been trawling several Newsgroups hoping to see a clue.

So far Clarion folks haven't been to helpful.

Oh, another thing the Help files that come with the drivers are _very_
limited.  Not even a list of supported functions.

Would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has suggestions.

TIA,

Quote:
>don<

Donald R. Keating, CLU
DBS Company - Columbia, SC
Phone/FAX 803-731-0328

Quote:
> If you want him to buy the product and do the whole job himself, the
> only options are the Clarion ReportWriter or Crystal Reports (you
may
> need to get him an ODBC driver too).

> If you are willing to adapt the software, there are many third-party
> options.  The two I use are:

> List & Label - allows you to incorporate a full-blown report
generator
> into your application with full control over the data the user sees.
> You must get the Solace templates too.  They'll save an awful lot of
> time.

> Spreadsheet Wizard - this is great if your users could not cope with
> report generator and you have a reasonable idea of the kind of data
> they want to analyse.  There is a Report Wizard too, but I let them
get
> the basic data into a spreadsheet and do their own thing from there.

> Richard

Thu, 05 Jun 2003 07:49:01 GMT

1. Ye old HTML as report language question

2. Question concerning old report files...?

3. Question concerning old report files ...?

4. Would anyone like my old Smalltalk Reports?

5. old 'chestnut' - bar codes on reports

6. Browse Question / Report question

7. TBrowse: Teach an old dog old tricks

8. Old Old rmcobol

9. Problem: Old Code/Older Compiler

10. (OT) Back in the old old days ...

11. Old articles? And a question about alias

12. That old "Create Directory" question again