Odd assignment problem
Author Message
 Odd assignment problem

Hi all,

Got a support call today about a very odd behaviour.  From what I
gathered the client had databases with date fields, defined as string
(for some reason).  These work fine.  In one form, he takes a date
entered and updates two fields in another database, something like:

MYF:FirstField = MOF:DateField
MYF:SecondField = MOF:DateField+LOC:NumberOfDays
PUT(MOFile)

Now the second assignment works perfectly, but not the first.  Nothing
get's assigned to the first field.  Databases work fine and the update
of all other fields and databases work fine, but this one field just
won't update in the MOF database.  He updates it from other places in
the program without any problems, only this particular place it won't
assign to anything at all!  There are no error messages, MOF:DateField
reports the correct data in a message before the first assignment and
the other field is updated as expected with the same data

We couldn't help him without having a look at his code - if anyone has
any ideas???

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
Allerup Edb
Tel: +45 4675 7122
Fax: +45 4675 7144
Denmark

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Opinions are mine, and mine alone!

Sun, 17 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Odd assignment problem

Arnor,
        I tend to agree. Without the code, it's a shot in the dark. But, some
questions might be in line, like 1) Are these assignments done in the
same place of the code (i.e., one line after another as shown)? 2) If
they update MYF:FirstField from another part of the program (I assume it
works fine) and then access it from this part of the program, does it
get wiped out or just remains as it was before the "broken" part of the
program gets it? That would tell you a bunch. Anyway, happy hunting.

        Later...

        kurtt

> Got a support call today about a very odd behaviour.  From what I
> gathered the client had databases with date fields, defined as string
> (for some reason).  These work fine.  In one form, he takes a date
> entered and updates two fields in another database, something like:

> MYF:FirstField = MOF:DateField
> MYF:SecondField = MOF:DateField+LOC:NumberOfDays
> PUT(MOFile)

> Now the second assignment works perfectly, but not the first.  Nothing
> get's assigned to the first field.  Databases work fine and the update
> of all other fields and databases work fine, but this one field just
> won't update in the MOF database.  He updates it from other places in
> the program without any problems, only this particular place it won't
> assign to anything at all!  There are no error messages, MOF:DateField
> reports the correct data in a message before the first assignment and
> the other field is updated as expected with the same data

> We couldn't help him without having a look at his code - if anyone has
> any ideas???

Sun, 17 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Odd assignment problem

Ask him/her to search the source code to see if Myf:FirstField is reassigned somewhere
else in the code??

Quote:

>Hi all,

>Got a support call today about a very odd behaviour.  From what I
>gathered the client had databases with date fields, defined as string
>(for some reason).  These work fine.  In one form, he takes a date
>entered and updates two fields in another database, something like:

>MYF:FirstField = MOF:DateField
>MYF:SecondField = MOF:DateField+LOC:NumberOfDays
>PUT(MOFile)

>Now the second assignment works perfectly, but not the first.  Nothing
>get's assigned to the first field.  Databases work fine and the update
>of all other fields and databases work fine, but this one field just
>won't update in the MOF database.  He updates it from other places in
>the program without any problems, only this particular place it won't
>assign to anything at all!  There are no error messages, MOF:DateField
>reports the correct data in a message before the first assignment and
>the other field is updated as expected with the same data

>We couldn't help him without having a look at his code - if anyone has
>any ideas???

>Best regards,

>Arnor Baldvinsson
>Allerup Edb
>Tel: +45 4675 7122
>Fax: +45 4675 7144
>Denmark

>http://www.icetips.com

>Opinions are mine, and mine alone!

    Geoff Bomford
     ComForMark
  Sydney, Australia

Wed, 20 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Odd Wiki problem (cosmetic only??)

2. Odd Network Printing Problem

3. Odd problem using FieldLookup

4. Odd problem with run-time linking to a clarion dll from a non-clarion app

5. Odd Problem with Stack Space and S87

6. Odd printing problem - link script only change

7. Odd problem...

8. odd number problem

9. Odd problem using STRUC in TASM 5.0 IDEAL mode

10. Odd problem using STRUC in TASM 5.0 IDEAL mode

11. Odd problem with drop down menu

12. Odd problem with I/O redirection under Windows