PACK() not working
Author Message
 PACK() not working

OK, the help says PACK will rebuild a file, and generate events just like
BUILD.  However, I can't seem to get PACK to do anything at all, I call it
and it seems to immediately return, no build events are generated, and
errorcode() is 0.

open(workfile,12h)
case errorcode()
of NoError orof BadKeyErr
     myfile{PROP:ProgressEvents} = 100
     pack(workFile)
     if errorcode() then message('Cannot perform PACK:  ('&errorcode()&')
'&clip(error())).
     progressvar = workfile{prop:completed}
     display
else
     ! file in use or other error, this code is NEVER reached
     message('Could not open file, file is in use or corrupt.')
end

So what's the deal here???

Chris Bordeman

Mon, 07 Nov 2005 01:19:01 GMT
 PACK() not working
File system?

--

Steve Parker

kb and download center at:
     www.par2.com
KB: http://www.par2.com/cws/c5launch.dll/FAQS/THEFAQS.exe.0

"The improbable, we do. The impossible takes a bit longer."

Quote:
> OK, the help says PACK will rebuild a file, and generate events just like
> BUILD.  However, I can't seem to get PACK to do anything at all, I call it
> and it seems to immediately return, no build events are generated, and
> errorcode() is 0.

> open(workfile,12h)
> case errorcode()
> of NoError orof BadKeyErr
>      myfile{PROP:ProgressEvents} = 100
>      pack(workFile)
>      if errorcode() then message('Cannot perform PACK:  ('&errorcode()&')
> '&clip(error())).
>      progressvar = workfile{prop:completed}
>      display
> else
>      ! file in use or other error, this code is NEVER reached
>      message('Could not open file, file is in use or corrupt.')
> end

> So what's the deal here???

> Chris Bordeman

Mon, 07 Nov 2005 01:37:21 GMT
 PACK() not working
topspeed, sorry

the behavior is the same on all data files i've tried

Quote:
> File system?

> --

> Steve Parker

> kb and download center at:
>      www.par2.com
> KB: http://www.par2.com/cws/c5launch.dll/FAQS/THEFAQS.exe.0

> "The improbable, we do. The impossible takes a bit longer."

> > OK, the help says PACK will rebuild a file, and generate events just
like
> > BUILD.  However, I can't seem to get PACK to do anything at all, I call
it
> > and it seems to immediately return, no build events are generated, and
> > errorcode() is 0.

> > open(workfile,12h)
> > case errorcode()
> > of NoError orof BadKeyErr
> >      myfile{PROP:ProgressEvents} = 100
> >      pack(workFile)
> >      if errorcode() then message('Cannot perform PACK:
('&errorcode()&')
> > '&clip(error())).
> >      progressvar = workfile{prop:completed}
> >      display
> > else
> >      ! file in use or other error, this code is NEVER reached
> >      message('Could not open file, file is in use or corrupt.')
> > end

> > So what's the deal here???

> > Chris Bordeman

Mon, 07 Nov 2005 01:59:04 GMT
 PACK() not working
OK, it is actually packing the file successfully.  Reading the help, which
says:

"New files are created from the old, and the old files are
deleted only after the process is complete."

Which implies to me that it is actually rebuilding the file by copying the
records to a temp file, which takes a while.  So, when it returned
immediately, I thought it hadn't done anything!

Anyways, I turned FULLBUILD=on and it takes much longer now, and I get all
the progress events, hopefully it's rebuilding the file from scratch so as
to remove as much potential corruption as possible.

Chris

Quote:
> topspeed, sorry

> the behavior is the same on all data files i've tried

> > File system?

> > --

> > Steve Parker

> > kb and download center at:
> >      www.par2.com
> > KB: http://www.par2.com/cws/c5launch.dll/FAQS/THEFAQS.exe.0

> > "The improbable, we do. The impossible takes a bit longer."

> > > OK, the help says PACK will rebuild a file, and generate events just
> like
> > > BUILD.  However, I can't seem to get PACK to do anything at all, I
call
> it
> > > and it seems to immediately return, no build events are generated, and
> > > errorcode() is 0.

> > > open(workfile,12h)
> > > case errorcode()
> > > of NoError orof BadKeyErr
> > >      myfile{PROP:ProgressEvents} = 100
> > >      pack(workFile)
> > >      if errorcode() then message('Cannot perform PACK:
> ('&errorcode()&')
> > > '&clip(error())).
> > >      progressvar = workfile{prop:completed}
> > >      display
> > > else
> > >      ! file in use or other error, this code is NEVER reached
> > >      message('Could not open file, file is in use or corrupt.')
> > > end

> > > So what's the deal here???

> > > Chris Bordeman

Mon, 07 Nov 2005 02:35:08 GMT

1. Does not work with TPS but works with DBF

2. 5.2 Network application works with 95, does not work with 98

3. Does the Autosave works in Excel , if not how to make it work in my program

4. Work library not same as current working library

5. REALdatabase not null and primary key not working

6. NOT Allow Inserts not working

7. Q: (IF WS-VAR NOT = SPACE) does not work in DBCS context

8. tcl/tk man pages use .HS, not .TH for title, so man -k does not work

9. Clarion not packing .dbf files

10. Changing packing configuration does not update the screen?

11. pack.n and pack-old.n bug

12. pack and pack-old man pages