CW2001.01 Do MEMOs need space on disk even if empty?
Author Message
 CW2001.01 Do MEMOs need space on disk even if empty?

Hi

if I have records with 64KB size for each record set
do they need diskspace although they may be empty?
I guess not but would like a confirmation...

Thanks

Sat, 26 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW2001.01 Do MEMOs need space on disk even if empty?

-->Hi
-->
-->if I have records with 64KB size for each record set
-->do they need diskspace although they may be empty?
-->I guess not but would like a confirmation...
-->
 A MEMO use space only when it exist !

Bernard Grosperrin - ALIAS(Bernie) -Team Topspeed Internet

Sun, 27 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW2001.01 Do MEMOs need space on disk even if empty?

Quote:

> -->Hi
> -->
> -->if I have records with 64KB size for each record set
> -->do they need diskspace although they may be empty?
> -->I guess not but would like a confirmation...
> -->
>  A MEMO use space only when it exist !

> Bernard Grosperrin - ALIAS(Bernie) -Team Topspeed Internet

How 'bout if the memo is only 16k long, does it still use up 64k?

--
Tom Ruby

http://www.netins.net/showcase/tomruby/
I don't know anything.  I just have to make this stuff work.

Mon, 28 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW2001.01 Do MEMOs need space on disk even if empty?

Quote:
>This appears to be a way to save diskspace. Or is there a reason
>why one should not use MEMOs in all cases instead of STRINGS?

In the topspeed file system, both strings and memos are compressed,
so disk space usage is roughly the same.

Memos cannot be components of a key. This is usually not an issue.

The real difference is that memo data is stored in a seperate physical
area on disk from ordinary record data. This means that if the
records are small, and you use the NOMEMO call, you can
scan a file in physical order fast, even if it has large memos.

Even if the order is not physical, if the total amount of record
data (excluding memos) is small enough to fit in memory,
processing will be fast.

Thus bulky items which will not appear in browses are best
stored in memos or blobs.

Note that the view driver automagically generates NOMEMO calls for
views which do not have projected memos.

George Barwood

Fri, 02 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW2001.01 Do MEMOs need space on disk even if empty?

Quote:
>> -->if I have records with 64KB size for each record set
>> -->do they need diskspace although they may be empty?
>> -->I guess not but would like a confirmation...
>> -->
>>  A MEMO use space only when it exist !

>> Bernard Grosperrin - ALIAS(Bernie) -Team Topspeed Internet

>How 'bout if the memo is only 16k long, does it still use up 64k?

This appears to be a way to save diskspace. Or is there a reason
why one should not use MEMOs in all cases instead of STRINGS?

Fri, 02 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW2001.01 Do MEMOs need space on disk even if empty?

Quote:

>Note that the view driver automagically generates NOMEMO calls for
>views which do not have projected memos.

Whoa, George! What version of CW are we talking here? I'm still CW
1.501 and there is no NOMEMO call in my generated code. Are we talking
views or browses, and for that matter, what about reports?
--
Steve Greenwood
HiCaliber Software

Sat, 03 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW2001.01 Do MEMOs need space on disk even if empty?

-->>
-->This appears to be a way to save diskspace. Or is there a reason
-->why one should not use MEMOs in all cases instead of STRINGS?

strings are easier to manage

Bernard Grosperrin - ALIAS(Bernie) -Team Topspeed Internet

Sat, 03 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Saving Reports to Disk - tfn.clw [01/01]

2. CW2001.01 OLE vs. DDE

3. CW2001.01 Problems with view{prop:order}

4. CW2001.01 REPOST - Link Error: Group or Segclass exceeds 64K

5. CW2001.01 Database Copy Utility - Manuals???

6. CW2001.01 Reportformatter doesn't work at all

7. CW2001.01 How to prevent refresh?

8. CW2001.01 Multiple Post :((( Dynamic Pool limit exceeded ERROR

9. CW2001.01 Trouble with transferring data from BASIC to TPS

10. CW2001.01 No updating from within a DropDownBox PROBLEM

11. CW2001.01 Search for number key using GET(file,key) PROBLEM

12. CW2001.01 How to retrieve the harddisk ID?