Win 95 Peer to Peer Network
Author Message
 Win 95 Peer to Peer Network

                       - - - - - - - - - -
I have a client who has 3 PC's connected using 10Base-T. One PC is defined
as a server and the other PCs access the program and data files from the
server. Each PC has the Clarion run-time DLLs in the windows directory and
the program consists of 1 exe and 6 DLL's with 32 files. The office is
small with 3 PC locations which are not far apart. It seems slow (I'm

the data. Is there anyone else with a similiar setup who could shed some
light or know of some settings to change ?

TIA

Dave Morrison
DBM Software & Consulting

Sat, 26 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Win 95 Peer to Peer Network

Quote:
> I forgot to mention I'm using CW2003 PE. Each PC is a 133 Pentium and I'm
> using TPS files. Hopefully that explains it more.

The problem could be in the way you have created your browse.  Do you
have filters?  If so, are they in addition to a range?  Filters without
a range will evaluate every record in your database before filling the
browse window.  This can be a painfully slow process for a large
database.  It can appear to be even worse when working across a network.
--

using CPD 2.1, LPM, CauseWay, CFD 3.1, CW 2.0, Power Suite,
CPCS, RPM, AFE, G-Reg

Sat, 26 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Win 95 Peer to Peer Network

                       - - - - - - - - - -
I forgot to mention I'm using CW2003 PE. Each PC is a 133 Pentium and I'm
using TPS files. Hopefully that explains it more.

Dave Morrison

Quote:
>                        - - - - - - - - - -
> I have a client who has 3 PC's connected using 10Base-T. One PC is
defined
> as a server and the other PCs access the program and data files from the
> server. Each PC has the Clarion run-time DLLs in the windows directory
and
> the program consists of 1 exe and 6 DLL's with 32 files. The office is
> small with 3 PC locations which are not far apart. It seems slow (I'm

access
> the data. Is there anyone else with a similiar setup who could shed some
> light or know of some settings to change ?

Sat, 26 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Win 95 Peer to Peer Network

Quote:
> Yes, but only if you use the EMBED filter record points.  If you supply the
> VIEW{PROP:FILTER} then the back-end should not return a record until the
> condition is met.  This should get around the network traffic slowdown as
> only the proper records are returned from the TPS file on host machine.

Very valid point.  I assumed that he was not using a View structure.
(shame on me!)
--

using CPD 2.1, LPM, CauseWay, CFD 3.1, CW 2.0, Power Suite,
CPCS, RPM, AFE, G-Reg

Sat, 26 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Win 95 Peer to Peer Network

Yes, but only if you use the EMBED filter record points.  If you supply the
VIEW{PROP:FILTER} then the back-end should not return a record until the
condition is met.  This should get around the network traffic slowdown as
only the proper records are returned from the TPS file on host machine.

Are you using EMBED filters or the VIEW{PROP:FILTER} ?

Quote:
> > I forgot to mention I'm using CW2003 PE. Each PC is a 133 Pentium and
I'm
> > using TPS files. Hopefully that explains it more.

> The problem could be in the way you have created your browse.  Do you
> have filters?  If so, are they in addition to a range?  Filters without
> a range will evaluate every record in your database before filling the
> browse window.  This can be a painfully slow process for a large
> database.  It can appear to be even worse when working across a network.
> --

> using CPD 2.1, LPM, CauseWay, CFD 3.1, CW 2.0, Power Suite,
> CPCS, RPM, AFE, G-Reg

Sat, 26 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Win 95 Peer to Peer Network

    Question: would it be possible to use Btrieve on a peer to peer with
some "back end" type stuff? Does their client driver handle any of this?
Just a thought...

kurtt

Quote:

> This is only true for Client/Server databases.  Neither the Clarion
> formation or Topspeed is Client/Server (There is no "backend" per se).

> This means that regardless of where the filter is, all of the records
> have
> to be read across the network wire.

Sat, 26 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Win 95 Peer to Peer Network

                       - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
>I have a client who has 3 PC's connected using 10Base-T. One PC is defined
>as a server and the other PCs access the program and data files from the
>server. Each PC has the Clarion run-time DLLs in the windows directory and
>the program consists of 1 exe and 6 DLL's with 32 files. The office is
>small with 3 PC locations which are not far apart. It seems slow (I'm

>the data. Is there anyone else with a similiar setup who could shed some
>light or know of some settings to change ?

What OS is on the Server, Win95, Novell, WinNT?
What protocol, Netbeui, TCP/IP, IPX?

Consider a copy of the EXE on the workstations as well.

Consider 100 Mb/s-Ethernet (3Com-905TX are about $75, 3Com-hub about $500).

Consider Pentium-120s with 32 MB RAM.

|  Ruud H.G. van Tol      |  ISOLUTION B.V. |  At Data'dam they  |
|  fax +31 (0)20 4282001  |  AMSTERDAM      |  call me Dr.Ruud   |
   Poetry doesn't belong to who wrote it, but to who needs it.
   http://www.xs4all.nl/~rvtol/

Sun, 27 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Win 95 Peer to Peer Network

I don't think so???

You are confusing Prop:Filter with a client/server network.

Prop:Filter is fast, I think, because it creates on the fly
indexes which speed up the selection.  BUT, all the
processing is done on the client machine, not on the netwok
server, and all of the records to be evaluated are passed to
the client for evaluation.

I am prepared to be corrected <g>

On 9 Sep 1997 19:25:58 GMT, "Jerry Alan Braga"

Quote:

>Yes, but only if you use the EMBED filter record points.  If you supply the
>VIEW{PROP:FILTER} then the back-end should not return a record until the
>condition is met.  This should get around the network traffic slowdown as
>only the proper records are returned from the TPS file on host machine.

>Are you using EMBED filters or the VIEW{PROP:FILTER} ?

Geoff Bomford
ComForMark
Computer services For Marketing
Sydney,  Australia

Sun, 27 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Win 95 Peer to Peer Network

                       - - - - - - - - - -
I will go thru my app and review my browses. I sure I could optimize
somewhere. Thanks for the tip.

Dave Morrison

----------

Quote:

> The problem could be in the way you have created your browse.  Do you
> have filters?  If so, are they in addition to a range?  Filters without
> a range will evaluate every record in your database before filling the
> browse window.  This can be a painfully slow process for a large
> database.  It can appear to be even worse when working across a network.

Sun, 27 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Win 95 Peer to Peer Network

It's been a long time since I've used Btrieve.  I don't know where it's at
these days but I don't think so.  Btrieve used to be just a record manager.
 It was up to the application (or shell) to put the relation smarts into
it.

You really need to look at some ODBC compliant SQL backend like SQLAnywhere
or MS SQL Server or like that (SQLAnywhere is relatively cheap)

Quote:
>     Question: would it be possible to use Btrieve on a peer to peer with
> some "back end" type stuff? Does their client driver handle any of this?
> Just a thought...

Sun, 27 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Win 95 Peer to Peer Network

Quote:

>                        - - - - - - - - - -
> I forgot to mention I'm using CW2003 PE. Each PC is a 133 Pentium and I'm
> using TPS files. Hopefully that explains it more.

> Dave Morrison

> >                        - - - - - - - - - -
> > I have a client who has 3 PC's connected using 10Base-T. One PC is
> defined
> > as a server and the other PCs access the program and data files from the
> > server. Each PC has the Clarion run-time DLLs in the windows directory
> and
> > the program consists of 1 exe and 6 DLL's with 32 files. The office is
> > small with 3 PC locations which are not far apart. It seems slow (I'm

> access
> > the data. Is there anyone else with a similiar setup who could shed some
> > light or know of some settings to change ?

Hello

There is not a problem in database driver, but in how you compile
your program. If you select under optimize tab a Pentium and optimize
for speed everything will work very fast.

Bye.

Mon, 28 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Win 95 Peer to Peer Network

-->    Question: would it be possible to use Btrieve on a peer to peer with
-->some "back end" type stuff? Does their client driver handle any of this?
-->Just a thought...
-->
You can always do anything with anything, but that would be, even if it work ( and I
believe it would ) something very stupid to do....

By defintion, the problem in a peer to peer network, is that you have no dedicated server.
So any station, used as well as a server than as a station, can ( will ) be locked up,
crashed, earlier or later....AND THE SERVER IN THE SAME TIME....

So all the securities you are paying for while buying a Novell server are vanished....

good luck....! <bg>

Bernard Grosperrin - ALIAS(Bernie) -
BG Consultants.
Team Topspeed Internet

Compuserve : 100023,2474

Sat, 04 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Win 95 Peer to Peer Network (Summary)

2. Dos Error 55 on Windows 95 Peer-Peer Network

3. Printing to a particular printer on Win'98 peer-to-peer Networks

4. Clipper on Win'98 peer-to-peer Networks

5. Clipper in 95 peer-to-peer

6. CPD 2: networking Windows98 peer-to-peer

7. Win95 peer-to-peer networks

8. Problem in peer-to-peer network

9. Bargain peer-to-peer network

10. Server speed on peer to peer network

11. Advice needed: peer-to-peer network

12. Clipper 5.2e app and peer-to-peer Novell network