Excel internal format & CW
Author Message
 Excel internal format & CW

Hi

I'd like to recommend a very useful book
"Excel 97 Developer's Kit".

With its help my app can read and write
now any Excel (v2 - v7)
file in  binary mode not using a DDE or OCX.
Very fast! All I needed.

Even a convertion from or to
any file format supported by CW.

Igor

Tue, 19 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Excel internal format & CW

<< I'd like to recommend a very useful book
"Excel 97 Developer's Kit". >>

Sounds GOOD! Who publishes it, and can you give us the book number
(ISBN number)?

Thanks!

-- Craig (The Data Ferret)
Using Virtual Access 3.52 build 159c (32-bit) in Win95
"Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS,
for THEY are FEISTY, and LIKE TO NIP
THOSE WHO ANNOY THEM!"

Tue, 19 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Excel internal format & CW

Common Craig.
What is the amazon.com for?
Leonid

Quote:

> << I'd like to recommend a very useful book
> "Excel 97 Developer's Kit". >>

> Sounds GOOD! Who publishes it, and can you give us the book number
> (ISBN number)?

> Thanks!

> -- Craig (The Data Ferret)
> Using Virtual Access 3.52 build 159c (32-bit) in Win95
> "Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS,
> for THEY are FEISTY, and LIKE TO NIP
> THOSE WHO ANNOY THEM!"

[ 002-9906501-4376237 13K ]

 Text Only

  at a glance
  reviews
  customer comments
  table of contents
Keyword search
Books Music

Microsoft Excel 97 Developer's Kit
by Microsoft Corporation

List Price: $49.99
Our Price: $39.99
You Save: $10.00 (20%)

Availability: This title usually ships within 2-3 days.

Learn more about
1-ClickSM ordering
Paperback - 500 pages Bk&Cd-Rom edition (June 1997)
Microsoft Press; ISBN: 1572314982; Dimensions (in inches): 1.60 x 8.98 x 7.42
Avg. Customer Review: 2.5 out of 5 stars ; Number of Reviews: 2

Write an online review and share your thoughts with other readers!

Customers who bought this book also bought:

  • Microsoft Excel 97 Developer's Handbook; Eric Wells, Steve Harshbarger
  • Microsoft Excel Developer's Kit; Version 5 for Microsoft Windows and the Apple Macintosh;
  • Microsoft Office 97 Resource Library : Developer;

Reviews

Synopsis
s how they can adapt Microsoft Excel at the operating system level. This is the only source for file format and extension level for Microsoft Excel API. The CD-ROM includes sample code for developers to use and additional text documentation not found in the book.

Customer Comments

Average Customer Review: 2.5 out of 5 stars Number of Reviews: 2

1 out of 5 stars
Worthless!
This book is shockingly incomplete. I could not find any details on FP even though the book mentions it as an argument and leaves it up to the reader to figure out how Excel uses it. Also, the examples are so elementary it is sickening. For example, when the book explains SAFEARRAY the example given is for a one dimensional array. BIG DEAL. The real challenge is dealing with multi-dimensional arrays. I was surprised by the lack of detail in this book especially coming from Microsoft Press.

4 out of 5 stars
Good book for C++ programmers developing Excel.
Excel has a lot of programming power in it now with the addition of
VBA 5.0. But you still can't do everything! This book is good for only those people who want to go on beyond the VBA. Especially handy and interesting was the full detail of the actual structure of an XLS file. A must have for serious Excel developers!

Look for similar books by subject:
Browse other Computers & Internet titles.
Microsoft Excel for Windows

read more »

Tue, 19 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Excel internal format & CW

Hi Igor,

Quote:
>With its help my app can read and write
>now any Excel (v2 - v7)
>file in  binary mode not using a DDE or OCX.
>Very fast! All I needed.

Do you consider this as a third party product? If you can offer stable,
template driven add-on, you could have many customers among us.

Regards,
Valentine Russev

Tue, 19 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Excel internal format & CW

Hi

I think I have a trouble with my
ISP - some messages were lost.

I'll send you a copy

Now I have a little problem -
since BIFF 5 all xls files are
compound files ("OLE2 implementation of the
Structured Storage Model standard")

Now I just skip all OLE2 headers and
look up for the start of a XLS stream
but in general it's not a correct method.

When I got the info about OLE format
I'll send you a copy .

With regards
Igor

Quote:

>Ditto!
>Sell me a copy.
>Bob Sorrells

>> Hi Igor,

>> >With its help my app can read and write
>> >now any Excel (v2 - v7)
>> >file in  binary mode not using a DDE or OCX.
>> >Very fast! All I needed.

>> Do you consider this as a third party product? If you can offer stable,
>> template driven add-on, you could have many customers among us.

>> Regards,
>> Valentine Russev

Fri, 22 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Excel internal format

2. CW 2.0 and DDE-Excel

3. Printing Word/Excel from a CW app

4. CW -> EXCEL Syntax

5. OLE with Excel (CW 2.003)

6. Using DDE:s CW / Excel

7. cw and excel

8. AT&T assembly format to Intel assembly format

9. HELP!!!! Internal Error - tpsbt.cpp - CW 2003

10. CW 2.0 useless internal report formatter!

11. Internal C-compiler in CW

12. How to save a file as EXCEL format?