topspeed is in trouble!!!
Author Message
 topspeed is in trouble!!!

i have been a long time clarion developer so this is moot as far as i'm
concerned but i just received some impressive marketing material. very
impressive.

this product has the following features, features we have been asking for,
for years.

we all know that the marketing staff at topspeed sucks wind but, the nimrods
running the show at topspeed are totally at fault. they have no idea that
they will soon lose their market share if they don't pay attention.

CLOSING THE CHAT BECAUSE THE COMPETITIONS PRODUCT GETS MENTIONED SPEAKS FOR
ITSELF! BUT LETS MOVE ON...

i wouldn't use the following product because i'm a clarion professional and
a 3rd party developer but i'm pissed. why. because companies won't commit to
using clarion as a viable solution if the company is flaky and especially if
they never heard of the product. how many folks know about clarion or what
it is capable of? not many in the industry. hell, clarion has been around
far longer than delphi and the like but those are practically household
names. i won't go into details on how topspeed consulting has hurt us other
topspeed consultants but we have a bad rap in the industry. THANKS TOPSPEED!
(sarcasim). anyhoo, just in case anyone at topspeed is willing to compete.
here is the list of features in what will probably be a new household name
in the RAD community.

design wizard
all network rdbms' like clarions, also oracle, informix, as400 included no
extra fees.
report generator and previewer that creates oracle like reports
barcode code 93, 39, c128, upc etc. support
qbe
4gl lingo
OOP launguage classes etc.
c like syntax
32bit debuger
32bit ide
built in serial communications support
links to c++, Pascal, vb, cobol, fortran, prolog, ...
multi lingo application (international)
built in help, documentation generator
install disk generator
user maintenece generator
documention generator
data modeler
automatic data incryption
cascadng theams (wizardtrons)
16/32 bit stand alone exe's
internet/intranet support built in
built in file format converter
client server (all databases built in, see above)
cool button controls (round dials and stuff)
embed editor (more than 3 as some folks think)
ergonomics checker (keeps you apps to a particular standard)
access control from within your programs
tables and views
multimedia built in
OLE, DDE, OCX COM, ACTIVEX, VBX, DCOME CORBA
manage all windows events
active x browser
code editor
supports richx
FREE technical support

has anyone at topspeed looked into the competition? -- can anyone at
topspeed say
T H I R T Y   T W O   B I T   I D E?

please, don't bother flamming me unless you have the skills to backup your
comments.

Frank A. Rivera SE
LOGICBit Corporation
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 17 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 topspeed is in trouble!!!
Frank,

I'm NOT flaming you since I "share your pain" <grin> BUT:

1) Your argument would be more persuasive if you included the name of
the other product so others could respond intelligently.  Are we talking
WinDev here?  If so, that's been exhaustively covered in other threads
recently (and incidentally I think it's a 16bit IDE).

2) Please don't take offense but in general I've found my written
arguments are better received and more effective if I use capitalization
and punctuation - they make my arguments seem more intelligent than they
really are!

Just my $.02.

Al

Quote:

> [...]

> 16/32 bit stand alone exe's
> internet/intranet support built in
> built in file format converter
> client server (all databases built in, see above)
> cool button controls (round dials and stuff)
> embed editor (more than 3 as some folks think)
> ergonomics checker (keeps you apps to a particular standard)
> access control from within your programs
> tables and views
> multimedia built in
> OLE, DDE, OCX COM, ACTIVEX, VBX, DCOME CORBA
> manage all windows events
> active x browser
> code editor
> supports richx
> FREE technical support

> has anyone at topspeed looked into the competition? -- can anyone at
> topspeed say
> T H I R T Y   T W O   B I T   I D E?

> please, don't bother flamming me unless you have the skills to backup your

Sat, 17 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 topspeed is in trouble!!!
Frank,

What other product than Clarion can read (to say nothing of write) Clarion
(.CLA) data files?
If the product you are referring to actually can do this, you have in
practice sold it to me
(probably even in the most unpleasant case that it is protected by a
dongle).

Best regards
Ola Pedersen

Quote:
>all network rdbms' like clarions, also oracle, informix, as400 included no

extra fees.
Quote:
>Frank A. Rivera SE
>LOGICBit Corporation
>http://www.logicbit.com

Sat, 17 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 topspeed is in trouble!!!

Quote:

> c like syntax

This is a PLUS?<g>

---
Mark Riffey
Granite Bear Development
http://www.granitebear.com

Software for professional photography studios
and non-profit organizations

Sat, 17 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 topspeed is in trouble!!!
Well, up until he said "32 bit IDE" and "c like syntax", I thought he was
talking about WinDev.  I believe WinDev is 16 bit and the syntax is much
like Clarion (plain English).

But otherwise I agree on the feature set.

Quote:

> > c like syntax

> This is a PLUS?<g>

> ---
> Mark Riffey
> Granite Bear Development
> http://www.granitebear.com

> Software for professional photography studios
> and non-profit organizations

Sat, 17 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 topspeed is in trouble!!!

Quote:

> But otherwise I agree on the feature set.

Not much missing from it, thats for sure.

---
Mark Riffey
Granite Bear Development
http://www.granitebear.com

Software for professional photography studios
and non-profit organizations

Sat, 17 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 topspeed is in trouble!!!
See my post :
3rd post : Important announcement
I'll look at your list and try and incorporate it.
I'll continue to post at the rate of about once a week, till Topspeed takes
over.

Stephen Fulton.

Quote:
> [...]

> 16/32 bit stand alone exe's
> internet/intranet support built in
> built in file format converter
> client server (all databases built in, see above)
> cool button controls (round dials and stuff)
> embed editor (more than 3 as some folks think)
> ergonomics checker (keeps you apps to a particular standard)
> access control from within your programs
> tables and views
> multimedia built in
> OLE, DDE, OCX COM, ACTIVEX, VBX, DCOME CORBA
> manage all windows events
> active x browser
> code editor
> supports richx
> FREE technical support

> has anyone at topspeed looked into the competition? -- can anyone at
> topspeed say
> T H I R T Y   T W O   B I T   I D E?

> please, don't bother flamming me unless you have the skills to backup your

Sun, 18 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 topspeed is in trouble!!!

Quote:
>> c like syntax

>This is a PLUS?<g>

Of course!

Clarion is like writing novels when you just need to say a word.

Ralph

Sat, 31 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 topspeed is in trouble!!!
Mmm..   But most problems are not solveable with a single word.  They
require a carefully crafted reply that can be clearly understood years
later so that your wisdom is not lost when you need it the most.

        Tim

Quote:

--
Tim Phillips
Vermont Agency of Natural Resources

Sun, 01 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 topspeed is in trouble!!!

Quote:
>Mmm..   But most problems are not solveable with a single word.  They
>require a carefully crafted reply that can be clearly understood years
>later so that your wisdom is not lost when you need it the most.

A circumstancial language does not save one from documenting your program.
An uncommented section of a program does not clarify itself anyway, regardless
which language you use. The more compact the language is the faster you can
read it and the faster you can understand whats behind the code because you can
concentrate on the aim the programmer had. Its like using a program for the
first time and after years practice. In the beginning you would crawl through
all the menus to find the function needed. After some practice you use the
shortcuts only. In addition, if you write C-like code yourself you will
appreciate the short notation.

If you take Alzheimers disease into consideration and think you will forget
about the language itself... well, then you may be right ;))

Ralph

Fri, 06 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 topspeed is in trouble!!!

Quote:

>  The more compact the language is the faster you can
> read it and the faster you can understand whats behind the code because
you can
> concentrate on the aim the programmer had.

I'd guess you never tried to read APL...

Sat, 07 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 topspeed is in trouble!!!
Like you, I am a long time Clarion developer, since the days of CPD 2.1
I also believe that Topspeed is in trouble, although not for the
reasons that you mentioned.

It's my feeling that developement for the Windows platform is dying off
very quickly, in favor of the "thin client model", web based. From a
corporations perspective, that model makes a lot of sense in regards to
initial outlay, upgrades, total cost of ownership.

Topspeeds stratagy for web deployment has been wishy-washy at best.
First they were Java based, then they switched to DHTML. I don't know
if there are any published benchmarks as to performance / capacity
issues. I have not seen any.

From what I have heard, there is no WYSIWYG mechanism in place for
converting an application to web based. so in essence you are working
blind. There seems to be some tunable parameters (skeletons) however
there effects are limited at best.

I think if Topspeed was a "SMART" company they never should of wasted
their resources on Wizitrons and invested their time on a good solid
web stratagy and also good and fast integration with a SQL back-end.

Just my .02

Jeff Goldstein
President, Advanced Computer

Quote:
> [...]

> 16/32 bit stand alone exe's
> internet/intranet support built in
> built in file format converter
> client server (all databases built in, see above)
> cool button controls (round dials and stuff)
> embed editor (more than 3 as some folks think)
> ergonomics checker (keeps you apps to a particular standard)
> access control from within your programs
> tables and views
> multimedia built in
> OLE, DDE, OCX COM, ACTIVEX, VBX, DCOME CORBA
> manage all windows events
> active x browser
> code editor
> supports richx
> FREE technical support

> has anyone at topspeed looked into the competition? -- can anyone at
> topspeed say
> T H I R T Y T W O B I T I D E?

> please, don't bother flamming me unless you have the skills to backup

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 07 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. VA/MD/DC Area TopSpeed Usergroup Meeting Sat 10 AM

2. I am having trouble reading a time stamp on a video using OCR

3. C5a - Topspeed file troubles

4. topspeed.products.c4 trouble

5. Topspeed ODBC troubles

6. I am not deaf, but am I mute?

7. TopSpeed Releases Free Beta 2 of TopSpeed ODBC Driver

8. Suggestion: Call Clarion TopSpeed, Call TopSpeed TS C

9. I am having trouble finding a LabView driver for the...

10. I am new to LabVIEW and I am having the classic problem of...

11. I am using LABview 5.0 and I am having difficulty with...

12. I am using a timed while loop and am unable to get the loop...