HELP!: Possible bug in Topspeed ODBC?
Author Message
 HELP!: Possible bug in Topspeed ODBC?

I am using the 32-bit ODBC drivers under WindowsNT to import data
into ABC Technologies' Oros Links costing software.  Everthing worked
great at first, then I had to wipe my machine and reinstall NT (and
all the appropriate drivers).  Now, whenever I try to import the
field definitions, I get the following error:

Runtime Error
   Internal error: tpsbt.cpp 2172

ACK!  All of the queries there were already written still work great;
the error is occurring only when I try to access the field list.
I think its with the ODBC driver and not the Oros software due to the
"tps" in the error's file name.

I am using C5 Web edition and ODBC driver version 2.00.0000.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it, as we have to get this working
for this project (we have a Clarion app that is the data warehouse that
the costing model uses to gather data).

Thanks in advance,
Matthew Wood

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP!: Possible bug in Topspeed ODBC?
Hi Matthew,

It's not a bug in the ODBC driver but the (TopSpeed)
file you are accessing with the ODBC driver is corrupt.
You'll need to run this .Tps-file through TpsFix to repair it.

HTH
Maarten

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP!: Possible bug in Topspeed ODBC?

Quote:
>Hi Matthew,

>It's not a bug in the ODBC driver but the (TopSpeed)
>file you are accessing with the ODBC driver is corrupt.
>You'll need to run this .Tps-file through TpsFix to repair it.

>HTH
>Maarten

I've done that.  And while the size of the file did
change slightly, implying a correction to the file, the
error persists.

It doesn't appear to be a corrupt file.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt

Sun, 04 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP!: Possible bug in Topspeed ODBC?
Hi Matthew,

Hope you did not make the classical mistake?
TpsFix leaves the original .Tps file as is and writes
out (per default) a result file: .TpR
you will have to rename the .Tpr to .Tps otherwise
you're still accessing the same (corrupted) file.

It is also possible that a second corruption is in the file,
so you must run the recovered file through TpsFix again.

Change in filesize is no indication. PACKing or reBUILDing
the file would have had the same effect.

HTH
Maarten

Sun, 04 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP!: Possible bug in Topspeed ODBC?

Quote:
>Hi Matthew,

>Hope you did not make the classical mistake?
>TpsFix leaves the original .Tps file as is and writes
>out (per default) a result file: .TpR
>you will have to rename the .Tpr to .Tps otherwise
>you're still accessing the same (corrupted) file.

No, I used the option that replaces the TPS file and backs
up to a .TPn file.  I was using the correct file.

Quote:
>It is also possible that a second corruption is in the file,
>so you must run the recovered file through TpsFix again.

I ran the TPSFIX again and, again, got a "No errors found"
message.  The file is fine.

This not the only file this has happened with and it's not the
only machine on which it has happened.  Two separate installs
have produced the same result, but it didn't happen 6 months ago.

It is probably something I'm doing, but the error message
"tpsbt.cpp: line 2046" (or whatever line it was), implied the
ODBC driver program crashed.

Apparently, no one can write decent error messages anymore... :(

Matthew Wood

Mon, 05 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP!: Possible bug in Topspeed ODBC?
Hi Matthew,

I still don't think it's the ODBC driver. But:
"tpsbt.cpp error in line: 2172"  means:
      'Reading of btree page from disk failed'
Could this indicate a HW (timing) error ?
You should ask Nigel Hicks, he's the expert on this.
I once got an update on the ODBC driver from him
(only can't remember what my problem was but they
went away with the update). Maybe it _is_ the ODBC
driver as you think, but you are running an old version ?

HTH
Maarten

Mon, 05 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP!: Possible bug in Topspeed ODBC?

Quote:
>You should ask Nigel Hicks, he's the expert on this.

How would I get in touch with him directly?

Quote:
>I once got an update on the ODBC driver from him
>(only can't remember what my problem was but they
>went away with the update). Maybe it _is_ the ODBC
>driver as you think, but you are running an old version ?

According to the ODBC control panel in WindowsNT, my version of
the driver is 2.00.00.00.  It has copyright 1994 on the disk,
but we purchased them around October or so of last year.

Thanks,
Matthew Wood

Mon, 05 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP!: Possible bug in Topspeed ODBC?
You should be able to get Nigle's attention on the TS newsgroups. In
this case, I'd post something on the tsnews.clarion.com server, on the
TopSpeed.Topic.Drivers group.

    Regards,

    kurtt

    Kurt Pawlikowski
    The Pinrod Corporation

    (773) 284-9500
    http://pinrod.com

Quote:

> >You should ask Nigel Hicks, he's the expert on this.

> How would I get in touch with him directly?

> >I once got an update on the ODBC driver from him
> >(only can't remember what my problem was but they
> >went away with the update). Maybe it _is_ the ODBC
> >driver as you think, but you are running an old version ?

> According to the ODBC control panel in WindowsNT, my version of
> the driver is 2.00.00.00.  It has copyright 1994 on the disk,
> but we purchased them around October or so of last year.

> Thanks,
> Matthew Wood

Mon, 05 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP!: Possible bug in Topspeed ODBC?
Hi Matthew,

Quote:
>>You should ask Nigel Hicks, he's the expert on this.
>How would I get in touch with him directly?

Search for his name (sender) in this ng or the ones
on tsnews.clarion.com

Quote:
>the driver is 2.00.00.00.  It has copyright 1994 on the disk,

So is mine, dated 09-20-1997

Regards,
Maarten

Tue, 06 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. TopSpeed - ODBC 3.1???? HELP HELP HELP

2. Topspeed ODBC driver ?bug?

3. BUG: Topspeed ODBC slow on fast computer

4. TopSpeed Releases Free Beta 2 of TopSpeed ODBC Driver

5. ODBC driver topspeed - Please help

6. Connect to TSM ODBC Driver with Regina and Rexx/SQL for ODBC no longer possible

7. c5ee: need to report bugs to Topspeed - please help

8. Bugs corrected in DBD/ODBC/ODBC.rb and DBD/Proxy/Proxy.rb

9. Help with possible script bugs

10. Possible fix for Bug 494589 - os.path.expandvars bug

11. To: Topspeed - Explorer like buttons is this possible ??

12. Problem with Topspeed ODBC connection