Data and Executables sharing directory
Author Message
 Data and Executables sharing directory

What is against Data and Executables sharing same directories on
network , would anything be gained by leaving data on network drive
and running the exe's from a local drive. ?

   Warm regards

     Elli

CW5peB,TPS,Legacy   , win98

Wed, 08 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Data and Executables sharing directory
Reduced network traffic since the EXE and DLL's don't have to be
"transported over the wire".  IMHO, it's more difficult to update the
EXE and DLL and not worth the bother.

Al

Quote:

> What is against Data and Executables sharing same directories on
> network , would anything be gained by leaving data on network drive
> and running the exe's from a local drive. ?

>    Warm regards

>      Elli

> CW5peB,TPS,Legacy   , win98

Wed, 08 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Data and Executables sharing directory
I really don't know how you can say that. I have on my workstation two
install setups for my app. One of them is a short one, the other all the
exe, and DLLs. I put the setup file on the server in a shared directory
called coincidentally Installs. Now all I have to do is go into Wise and
compile the setup file and distribute it to the directory and let my users
know to run setup. Bob's your uncle.

Mick

Quote:

>Reduced network traffic since the EXE and DLL's don't have to be
>"transported over the wire".  IMHO, it's more difficult to update the
>EXE and DLL and not worth the bother.

>Al

>> What is against Data and Executables sharing same directories on
>> network , would anything be gained by leaving data on network drive
>> and running the exe's from a local drive. ?

>>    Warm regards

>>      Elli

>> CW5peB,TPS,Legacy   , win98

Thu, 09 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Data and Executables sharing directory
Mick,

And what do you do if you change an EXE or DLL?  You have to "visit"
each workstation or tell the users to reinstall or use FM2's AutoUp
(which I never got to work right).  Not worth it IMO when it's ever so
much easier to leave the EXE and DLL's on the server and let them load
from there.  The extra network traffic is inconsequential as far as I
can tell.

Al

P.S. What does Uncle Bob have to do with this?

Quote:

> I really don't know how you can say that. I have on my workstation two
> install setups for my app. One of them is a short one, the other all the
> exe, and DLLs. I put the setup file on the server in a shared directory
> called coincidentally Installs. Now all I have to do is go into Wise and
> compile the setup file and distribute it to the directory and let my users
> know to run setup. Bob's your uncle.

> Mick

Thu, 09 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Data and Executables sharing directory
Firstly it is AutoNet, and it works like a charm.
I can now change an app and copy it to the fileserver, when a user
logs in again he will atomatically get the new app AND any other
new/additional files in that same folder on the fileserver.
I woulnt do it any other way!!!!
Greetings
Johan van Zyl
On Sun, 21 Nov 1999 13:26:24 -0500, Al Randall

Quote:

>Mick,

>And what do you do if you change an EXE or DLL?  You have to "visit"
>each workstation or tell the users to reinstall or use FM2's AutoUp
>(which I never got to work right).  Not worth it IMO when it's ever so
>much easier to leave the EXE and DLL's on the server and let them load
>from there.  The extra network traffic is inconsequential as far as I
>can tell.

>Al

>P.S. What does Uncle Bob have to do with this?

>> I really don't know how you can say that. I have on my workstation two
>> install setups for my app. One of them is a short one, the other all the
>> exe, and DLLs. I put the setup file on the server in a shared directory
>> called coincidentally Installs. Now all I have to do is go into Wise and
>> compile the setup file and distribute it to the directory and let my users
>> know to run setup. Bob's your uncle.

>> Mick

greetings from Johan van Zyl
Somerset West
South Africa

Clarion 5ee, FM2
Customised Software

Thu, 09 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Data and Executables sharing directory
You're right!  It _IS_ AutoNet not AutoUp but regardless I never did get
it to work correctly.  AutoUp works like a charm of course which is why
I use FM2.  My apologies.  Other than that, we agree to disagree!  I'll
leave me EXE and DLLs on the server and you use AutoNet. <BG>

Cheers,

Al

Quote:

> Firstly it is AutoNet, and it works like a charm.
> I can now change an app and copy it to the fileserver, when a user
> logs in again he will atomatically get the new app AND any other
> new/additional files in that same folder on the fileserver.
> I woulnt do it any other way!!!!
> Greetings
> Johan van Zyl
> On Sun, 21 Nov 1999 13:26:24 -0500, Al Randall

Fri, 10 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Data and Executables sharing directory
Greetings Al,

I happened to look up this idiom a few days ago... it's a British
phrase meaning something to the effect of "all's well".  The Bob
mentioned, the prime minister Robert, Lord Salisbury, was rumored to
indulge in nepotism, so if Bob was your uncle... <g>  Look it up here:
http://www.wilton.net/etyma.htm

Mark Kroflich
mark(a)lists-inc.com

Quote:

> P.S. What does Uncle Bob have to do with this?

> > know to run setup. Bob's your uncle.

Sat, 11 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. multi-process shared data and thread private data

2. Porting from monolithic executable to a shared library

3. sharing files across directories

4. running clipper application in directory shared on W2k Server

5. Access to shared directories

6. Problems importing a module (as a shared lib) from the current working directory

7. Using stand alone executables to send data to the parallel port

8. Using VI Server to pass data between a Labview Executable and a VI

9. Embedding data in executable

10. DATA statement leads to bloated executable?

11. Executable size dependent on default initialised data types

12. data statements after executable code