I am frustrated (*%^&^*&##
Author Message
 I am frustrated (*%^&^*&##

First,  thanks to all in the NG who have helped.  I appreciate that.  My
frustration is not directed at you, but the apparent inconsistency in the
ABC templates.

Cw4b & abc templates

I put a MESSAGE in most of the browse embeds so that I could see the timing
and flow of the embed points.  When I ran the browse nothing showed up in
the listbox.

I thought maybe I put the timing off with the message windows so I commented
them all out and reran.  I got the same nothing in the listbox.  There were
3 empty (blank) records.  There are 3 records in the database.

I removed all the commented out messages and the program filled the listbox
with 3 records.

Why should putting a comment in an embed{*filter*}up the display of a list box?

Why does the browse read and reread the records for a list box?  On a
different occasion I had a message to display each record in the 'next'
embed.  I could see the records on the screen but it was reading them again
in the next embed.  I am confused.

CW5 should arrive on Friday.  Will this help??  I nearly went crazy with 3.1
and its inconsistencies.  I hoped cw would be better.

 thanks  bob roos

Sun, 28 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 I am frustrated (*%^&^*&##
You may want to try 0{prop:text}='something' rather than a message box.
When you click a message box over a browse, it triggers a refresh of
the browse and sets up a loop. Usually better to pull the message box
off the browse then click it.

Jim Kane  - TeamTopSpeed
Productive Software Solutions
Can't Find that Message?
Get Organized, Get ForKeeps!
www.fkeeps.com

Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 I am frustrated (*%^&^*&##
That will give only the last message (but a useful tip anyway!)
To get all the messages without using MESSAGE write them out to a file.

One way of doing this is as follows :

Add a new source procedure called Store
Prototype (STRING)
Parameters  (input_line)
Data embed :

Trace_file FILE,DRIVER('ASCII'),NAME('c:\Trace.txt'),CREATE,PRE(TR)
              RECORD
Trace_line       STRING(300)
              END
           END

Processed code embed :

 IF input_line = 'Empty trace file' THEN
    CREATE(Trace_file)
 ELSE
    SHARE(Trace_file)
    IF ERRORCODE() THEN
      CREATE(Trace_file)
      SHARE(Trace_file)
    END
     TR:Trace_line = input_line
    ADD(Trace_file)
    CLOSE(Trace_file)
 END

Now whenever you have a MESSAGE('myMessage') statement use
Store('myMessage')
To look at the messages load c:\trace.txt into notepad.
It has the added advantage that if you forget to take out those lines of
code the user doesn't notice!

Stephen Fulton.

Quote:
> You may want to try 0{prop:text}='something' rather than a message box.
> When you click a message box over a browse, it triggers a refresh of
> the browse and sets up a loop. Usually better to pull the message box
> off the browse then click it.

> Jim Kane  - TeamTopSpeed
> Productive Software Solutions
> Can't Find that Message?
> Get Organized, Get ForKeeps!
> www.fkeeps.com

Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 I am frustrated (*%^&^*&##
Bob

visit the open source project of www.clarionmag.com and take
a look at Richard Rogers "SylkieDebug-Template" (or similar)
In a trace log window you can view events and your own messages
like dbg.Trace('I'm here :-)') or dbg.Trace('MyVar = ' & MyVar)

Regards

JB

Quote:

> First,  thanks to all in the NG who have helped.  I appreciate that.  My
> frustration is not directed at you, but the apparent inconsistency in the
> ABC templates.

> Cw4b & abc templates

> I put a MESSAGE in most of the browse embeds so that I could see the timing
> and flow of the embed points.  When I ran the browse nothing showed up in
> the listbox.

> I thought maybe I put the timing off with the message windows so I commented
> them all out and reran.  I got the same nothing in the listbox.  There were
> 3 empty (blank) records.  There are 3 records in the database.

> I removed all the commented out messages and the program filled the listbox
> with 3 records.

> Why should putting a comment in an embed{*filter*}up the display of a list box?

> Why does the browse read and reread the records for a list box?  On a
> different occasion I had a message to display each record in the 'next'
> embed.  I could see the records on the screen but it was reading them again
> in the next embed.  I am confused.

> CW5 should arrive on Friday.  Will this help??  I nearly went crazy with 3.1
> and its inconsistencies.  I hoped cw would be better.

>  thanks  bob roos

Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 I am frustrated (*%^&^*&##
thanks for the tips and pointers.  I am following them and checking it all
out.

The reason that I was using MESSAGE was that I wanted to see what was on the
screen as the code was executing.  What I was seeing was all 4 records up on
the screen in the list box with only a read of the last record in the NEXT
embed.  Then there followed a read for each record.  I could see this on the
screen.  I haven't figured out why read if they are in the queue.  I had at
one time TOTALs checked, but took that off and removed the total items from
the Actions tab.

The other wierd thing was that the records were blank if I put a comment in
all the embeds for the browse.  Why should a comment make a listbox record
not display?  I suspect that the comment forced an embed to be generated
with its associated method(right word?) call and that call screwed something
up.

Anyway I am learning tons!  thanks,

        bob roos

Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. ABC Templates @#$%^&*&&*&*!!!!!!

2. Cybersex--(*&$%*&(*&^% C programmers

3. AM & FM modulation

4. hpux && snapshot && ./configure

5. TCL2C && MS VC++ && TCL8.0.3plus

6. Translating &

8. DataFlex & Q&A Conversion to Topspeed

9. Data Corruption in Clipper & Windows 2000

10. Clipper & R&R for Windows

11. R&R Report Writer & Report Smith

12. Flagship & Red Hat 8