CW: Outputting MEMOs to an ascii file?
Author Message
 CW: Outputting MEMOs to an ascii file?

We're working on some programs that generate HTML, and a couple of
them will need to output the contents of a MEMO field. What's the best
way to get this done?  Doing a

HTML:Line = FIL:Memofield
ADD(HTMLOutputFile)

produces no output other than a blank line.  How do you get content
out of a memo field in a way suitable to output to an ASCII file?

Ben
--

Senior Systems Analyst                |
TermNet Merchant Services, Inc.       |

Sun, 24 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW: Outputting MEMOs to an ascii file?

Quote:

> We're working on some programs that generate HTML, and a couple of
> them will need to output the contents of a MEMO field. What's the best
> way to get this done?  Doing a

> HTML:Line = FIL:Memofield
> ADD(HTMLOutputFile)

> produces no output other than a blank line.  How do you get content
> out of a memo field in a way suitable to output to an ASCII file?

> Ben

Hi Ben,

I'm doing that same thing in two separate proceedures. In one I Parse
the memo to display email as a HREF and the other I just set the output
string to the memo. How are you defining your output string and what
file driver are you using for the HTMLOut file?
My file is defined like this:
HTM_OUT     File,Driver('ASCII'),NAME(HTML_FileName),PRE(HTM),CREATE
Record       Record,Pre()
AsciiLine      String(1255) !<< the output string
             End

You can see how they work at: http://www.cyclemart.com/motobooks

The text on the coverpage is generated from a memo, as are the long
descriptions that you get when you click on a book title. All the
catalogs here are generated from Topspeed data files.
---
Jim Katz
CTO CycleMart.com
http://www.cyclemart.com Powered By iTZcat

Using Clarion for Windows
Always looking for the simpler solution.

Mon, 25 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW: Outputting MEMOs to an ascii file?

Quote:
> We're working on some programs that generate HTML, and a couple of
> them will need to output the contents of a MEMO field. What's the best
> way to get this done?  Doing a

> HTML:Line = FIL:Memofield
> ADD(HTMLOutputFile)

> produces no output other than a blank line.  How do you get content
> out of a memo field in a way suitable to output to an ASCII file?

> Ben

The solution depends upon whether or not you have a window displaying the
memo field active or not -
If you do (or if you have the field on the window but hidden) you can get
the lines using the
x# = ?Fil:MemoField{Prop:Linecount}
LOOP y# = 1 TO x#
  HTML:Line = ?Fil:MemoField{Prop:Line,y#}
  ADD(HTMLOutputFile)
END

Otherwise you will have to parse the memofield for the output you want.

HTH

--
Bill Mell
Information Packaging Unlimited

---------------------------------
This is the life for me!
---------------------------------

Mon, 25 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW: Outputting MEMOs to an ascii file?

Quote:
>I'm doing that same thing in two separate proceedures. In one I Parse
>the memo to display email as a HREF and the other I just set the output
>string to the memo. How are you defining your output string and what
>file driver are you using for the HTMLOut file?

Pretty much the way you do.  I'm beginning to think that what I'm
seeing is a VIEW/MEMO problem - the particular procedure where I'm
seeing this problem is a PROCESS procedure which generates a lot of
HTML pages.  I made up a small test procedure, and it works just fine.
The only difference is that the test procedure isn't using a VIEW.  It
may be that the VIEW isn't pulling in the MEMO.

Ben
--

Senior Systems Analyst                |
TermNet Merchant Services, Inc.       |
Atlanta, GA                           |

Mon, 25 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW: Outputting MEMOs to an ascii file?

Quote:
> We're working on some programs that generate HTML, and a couple of
> them will need to output the contents of a MEMO field. What's the best
> way to get this done?  Doing a

> HTML:Line = FIL:Memofield
> ADD(HTMLOutputFile)

> produces no output other than a blank line.  How do you get content
> out of a memo field in a way suitable to output to an ASCII file?

That's how I do it...

I have HTMLOutputFile defined as ASCII, and its HTML:Line is a very large
string. I do use APPEND instead of ADD, as it seems to be faster.

That's how I maintain the CW Resources page.

--
Tom Ruby

http://www.netins.net/showcase/tomruby/
Find resources mentioned in this newsgroup:
   http://www.netins.net/showcase/tomruby/clarion/
Isn't it nice of America Online to ship their new v3.0 disks with removable
labels?

Tue, 26 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. CFD2.1 , CW, sharing clarion memo files

2. report output to ascii file

3. ASCII file output - Urgent

4. Output files in binary or ASCII?

5. printing ascii fortran output file on apple laser writer

6. puts [exec /binary/file] stops output at ascii=0

7. dbase memo from .TPS file memo

8. Need converter program to translate ascii to ebcdic in mixes ascii/binary file

9. REPOST: clarion to ASCII (problem with MEMO)

10. Clarion to ASCII and MEMO field

11. CW 2003 Memo Printing Problems, Need Help

12. CW 4.0 DATE & TIME STAMP FOR MEMOS