lap top vs desk top
Author Message
 lap top vs desk top

I need advice. I am developing an app which will run on both
desk tops
and lap tops.  Screens sized for desk tops cannot be seen on
lap tops
and screens designed for lap tops look silly on desk tops.
I have
worked around this problem by writing a browse for each and
the
machine identified by the config file.  Needless to say,
this is a
real PITA.  Is there a way for the app to determine the
display and
the adjust the browse accordingly.  If it can be done, how
is it done.

TIA to all who have suggestions,
Gerald

Sat, 21 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 lap top vs desk top
Gerald,

I recommend against going to too much trouble on this.  Here's what I do.
Assume a minimum 800X600 screen res.  If they don't have that, they have
problems.  Also, I've seen people with 21" monitors who like to run at
800X600 (go figure).  I make all of my browse screens to maximaize on
opening.  If you're using C5 ABC, the resize class works pretty well to put
thins where they belong.  I occasionally set some screen control positions
at run time, but not much.  If you're in legacy templates, you can hand code
the screen control positions with a small effort.  Then I make all of my
forms so the will fit on 800X600 with no scrolling.  And I center them.  It
makes for a nice look that runs on any screen setup.

Quote:
> I need advice. I am developing an app which will run on both
> desk tops
> and lap tops.  Screens sized for desk tops cannot be seen on
> lap tops
> and screens designed for lap tops look silly on desk tops.
> I have
> worked around this problem by writing a browse for each and
> the
> machine identified by the config file.  Needless to say,
> this is a
> real PITA.  Is there a way for the app to determine the
> display and
> the adjust the browse accordingly.  If it can be done, how
> is it done.

> TIA to all who have suggestions,
> Gerald

Sat, 21 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 lap top vs desk top
Hi Gerald

When I got you right, you want to make some windows on Laptops smaller and
on Desktops bigger.

an easy way (but not pefect) is to design the windows in a certain font
(e.g. 8pt. Arial). If you want to have the window bigger, yust make the font
of the Window bigger (e.g. 10 Arial). The whole window resizes.

I dont know the limits, but you can easyli check it out yourself.

Markus Keller

Quote:
> I need advice. I am developing an app which will run on both
> desk tops
> and lap tops.  Screens sized for desk tops cannot be seen on
> lap tops
> and screens designed for lap tops look silly on desk tops.
> I have
> worked around this problem by writing a browse for each and
> the
> machine identified by the config file.  Needless to say,
> this is a
> real PITA.  Is there a way for the app to determine the
> display and
> the adjust the browse accordingly.  If it can be done, how
> is it done.

> TIA to all who have suggestions,
> Gerald

Sun, 22 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Desk top vs lap top

2. Tower Eiffel on a lap-top running LINUX

3. Help Please - Unwanted Desk top Icons of datafiles

4. Restoring the Poplog Desk Top

5. Keeping top level on top.

6. problem witrh top-down vs. bottom-up bitmaps

7. top-level (global) vs internal (local) variables/definitions

8. top-level vs internal DEFINE's

9. Top-level vs. internal define question

10. OT: top-posting vs. inline responses

11. SETQ vs DEFVAR at the top level

12. Help - always-on-top in VS 3.0.1