Clarion for Dos and Celeron Processor - URGENT HELP NEEDED
Author Message
 Clarion for Dos and Celeron Processor - URGENT HELP NEEDED

Hi,

I have a customer who had a clarion app developed for them a few years
back and they have just changed their motherboard and added a Celeron
PII 366. Nothing else has been touched.

They now get the following message when they fire up the app from
Windows 95

"Warning - Error in floating point value - ress any key top continue"

Continue exits out of the app.

If they start up in dos mode and run the app it gives an error 47 on one
of the dat files.

I do not if these are related or not?

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Tony York
Also
--
Tony York
Fiscal Software

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 21 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion for Dos and Celeron Processor - URGENT HELP NEEDED
You must compile your application with the DOS Extender.
Otherwise you will have problems with "fast machines"

Steven Sitas

Quote:
>Hi,

>I have a customer who had a clarion app developed for them a few years
>back and they have just changed their motherboard and added a Celeron
>PII 366. Nothing else has been touched.

>They now get the following message when they fire up the app from
>Windows 95

>"Warning - Error in floating point value - ress any key top continue"

>Continue exits out of the app.

>If they start up in dos mode and run the app it gives an error 47 on one
>of the dat files.

>I do not if these are related or not?

>Any ideas ?

>Thanks

>Tony York
>Also
>--
>Tony York
>Fiscal Software
>Perth Western Australia

>http://www.fiscal.com.au

Sun, 21 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion for Dos and Celeron Processor - URGENT HELP NEEDED
Hi Tony!

Quote:
> "Warning - Error in floating point value - ress any key top continue"

What Steve Sitas said is correct.

In addition, if you can't use the Dos Extender for some reason, you can
search one of the various Clarion KB's (Icetips for example) because
Alexey Solovjev posted patches to the runtime DLL's that disables the
timing loops that are causing the problem.

-- Craig (The Data Ferret)
Using Virtual Access 4.52 build 277 (32-bit) in Win95
CPD 2.1 / CDD 3.x / C5EE&IC
CPCS CCS CLACom WinEvent CWA
JANUS/Ada 83 95 CLAW
"Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS...."

Sun, 21 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion for Dos and Celeron Processor - URGENT HELP NEEDED
Hi Steve

Yes, but even with DOS extender I have had hassles on Celeron machines
(other PII appear to be OK). Problem is, I find serious data corruption from
Celeron PC's (to the extent that half the file is gone after fighting it
through TPSFIX). I have taken to advising clients to steer clear of Celeron
if they want to keep using the DOS apps. C4/5 apps run OK.

Daan

Quote:

>You must compile your application with the DOS Extender.
>Otherwise you will have problems with "fast machines"

>Steven Sitas

>>Hi,

>>I have a customer who had a clarion app developed for them a few years
>>back and they have just changed their motherboard and added a Celeron
>>PII 366. Nothing else has been touched.

>>They now get the following message when they fire up the app from
>>Windows 95

>>"Warning - Error in floating point value - ress any key top continue"

>>Continue exits out of the app.

>>If they start up in dos mode and run the app it gives an error 47 on one
>>of the dat files.

>>I do not if these are related or not?

>>Any ideas ?

>>Thanks

>>Tony York
>>Also
>>--
>>Tony York
>>Fiscal Software
>>Perth Western Australia

>>http://www.fiscal.com.au

Sun, 21 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion for Dos and Celeron Processor - URGENT HELP NEEDED
Hello Daan,

I dont think anything is wrong with the Celeron.
Remeber that they are just crippled PebtiumIIs.
With Celeron computers, manufacturers usually use low cost H/W (Ram,
HD etc) to keep prices low.

Most of my users are using Celeron machines (over 1000) and with:

3.102/DosExtender
+Alexeys Patches
Single User (Dos or Win95) or
MultiUser (Dos or Win95) and Novell 4x

I have had NO DATA Corruptions for over 2 Years !!!

The only difference I can see is that I NEVER USE TPS files, in a
Heavy MuliUser enviroment. For me DAT files are a Champ.

Steven Sitas

On Wed, 5 May 1999 18:36:50 +0200, "Daan Marais"

Quote:

>Hi Steve

>Yes, but even with DOS extender I have had hassles on Celeron machines
>(other PII appear to be OK). Problem is, I find serious data corruption from
>Celeron PC's (to the extent that half the file is gone after fighting it
>through TPSFIX). I have taken to advising clients to steer clear of Celeron
>if they want to keep using the DOS apps. C4/5 apps run OK.

>Daan

>>You must compile your application with the DOS Extender.
>>Otherwise you will have problems with "fast machines"

>>Steven Sitas

>>>Hi,

>>>I have a customer who had a clarion app developed for them a few years
>>>back and they have just changed their motherboard and added a Celeron
>>>PII 366. Nothing else has been touched.

>>>They now get the following message when they fire up the app from
>>>Windows 95

>>>"Warning - Error in floating point value - ress any key top continue"

>>>Continue exits out of the app.

>>>If they start up in dos mode and run the app it gives an error 47 on one
>>>of the dat files.

>>>I do not if these are related or not?

>>>Any ideas ?

>>>Thanks

>>>Tony York
>>>Also
>>>--
>>>Tony York
>>>Fiscal Software
>>>Perth Western Australia

>>>http://www.fiscal.com.au

Mon, 22 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion for Dos and Celeron Processor - URGENT HELP NEEDED
Hello Steve

Are you using Alexey's patches together with Extender? If yes, where can I
find them?

I believe the choice between DAT and TPS is like the one between the devil
and the deep blue sea. DAT used to give me frequent key corruptions but
never any data loss, while TPS breaks down very infrequently but there is
always a feeling that its next breakdown could cause catastrophic data loss.

I am moving my multi-user (>5 users) over to Btrieve wherever I can.

Quote:

>Hello Daan,

>I dont think anything is wrong with the Celeron.
>Remeber that they are just crippled PebtiumIIs.
>With Celeron computers, manufacturers usually use low cost H/W (Ram,
>HD etc) to keep prices low.

>Most of my users are using Celeron machines (over 1000) and with:

>3.102/DosExtender
>+Alexeys Patches
>Single User (Dos or Win95) or
>MultiUser (Dos or Win95) and Novell 4x

>I have had NO DATA Corruptions for over 2 Years !!!

>The only difference I can see is that I NEVER USE TPS files, in a
>Heavy MuliUser enviroment. For me DAT files are a Champ.

>Steven Sitas

>On Wed, 5 May 1999 18:36:50 +0200, "Daan Marais"

>>Hi Steve

>>Yes, but even with DOS extender I have had hassles on Celeron machines
>>(other PII appear to be OK). Problem is, I find serious data corruption
from
>>Celeron PC's (to the extent that half the file is gone after fighting it
>>through TPSFIX). I have taken to advising clients to steer clear of
Celeron
>>if they want to keep using the DOS apps. C4/5 apps run OK.

>>Daan

>>>You must compile your application with the DOS Extender.
>>>Otherwise you will have problems with "fast machines"

>>>Steven Sitas

Mon, 22 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion for Dos and Celeron Processor - URGENT HELP NEEDED
Hello Daan,

Quote:
>Are you using Alexey's patches together with Extender? If yes, where can I
>find them?

Look for one of his postings, to find his email address and send him a
message.

Steven Sitas

On Thu, 6 May 1999 14:58:44 +0200, "Daan Marais"

Quote:

>Hello Steve

>Are you using Alexey's patches together with Extender? If yes, where can I
>find them?

>I believe the choice between DAT and TPS is like the one between the devil
>and the deep blue sea. DAT used to give me frequent key corruptions but
>never any data loss, while TPS breaks down very infrequently but there is
>always a feeling that its next breakdown could cause catastrophic data loss.

>I am moving my multi-user (>5 users) over to Btrieve wherever I can.

>>Hello Daan,

>>I dont think anything is wrong with the Celeron.
>>Remeber that they are just crippled PebtiumIIs.
>>With Celeron computers, manufacturers usually use low cost H/W (Ram,
>>HD etc) to keep prices low.

>>Most of my users are using Celeron machines (over 1000) and with:

>>3.102/DosExtender
>>+Alexeys Patches
>>Single User (Dos or Win95) or
>>MultiUser (Dos or Win95) and Novell 4x

>>I have had NO DATA Corruptions for over 2 Years !!!

>>The only difference I can see is that I NEVER USE TPS files, in a
>>Heavy MuliUser enviroment. For me DAT files are a Champ.

>>Steven Sitas

>>On Wed, 5 May 1999 18:36:50 +0200, "Daan Marais"

>>>Hi Steve

>>>Yes, but even with DOS extender I have had hassles on Celeron machines
>>>(other PII appear to be OK). Problem is, I find serious data corruption
>from
>>>Celeron PC's (to the extent that half the file is gone after fighting it
>>>through TPSFIX). I have taken to advising clients to steer clear of
>Celeron
>>>if they want to keep using the DOS apps. C4/5 apps run OK.

>>>Daan

Tue, 23 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. URGENT HELP NEEDED : PROCESSOR OCCUPATION IN WINDOWS NT

2. Help needed converting 2.1 for DOS files - Clarion Expert needed

3. clarion 5.5 urgent help needed

4. Urgent help needed about Clarion 4

5. URGENT-help needed-URGENT

6. clarion pro dos v2.1 help needed

7. Help needed from an Australian-based Clarion 2 for DOS programmer

8. Missing Icon Display in Celeron Processor PC

9. Problems with celeron processor ?

10. Celeron Processors

11. Need Help on Clarion for DOS

12. Need help for working with Clarion for DOS *.dat files