Topspeed ODBC vs. Clarion
Author Message
 Topspeed ODBC vs. Clarion

I have recieved a lot of advice.  Thank you all!  I want to know what
the general thought is.  To make a conversion prgram from Topspeed to
Access from a Visual C++ app, should I go with the Topspeed ODBC driver
or is it better to get Clarion and make a dll like someone else
suggested?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 08 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Topspeed ODBC vs. Clarion
You could probably hire virtually anyone on this newsgroup to write the
conversion program for you in about 1 hour.

-- Chris Behling

PS:  If you must do it yourself, buy Clarion!!

Quote:
> I have recieved a lot of advice.  Thank you all!  I want to know what
> the general thought is.  To make a conversion prgram from Topspeed to
> Access from a Visual C++ app, should I go with the Topspeed ODBC driver
> or is it better to get Clarion and make a dll like someone else
> suggested?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Tue, 08 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Topspeed ODBC vs. Clarion
Is it possible to write a dll in Clarion that would allow us to gain
access to the Topspeed database from Visual C++?  The dll would contain
a set of fuctions to go through the database.  That way I could plug
that data into existing Access database myself.

Quote:
> You could probably hire virtually anyone on this newsgroup to write
the
> conversion program for you in about 1 hour.

> -- Chris Behling

> PS:  If you must do it yourself, buy Clarion!!

> > I have recieved a lot of advice.  Thank you all!  I want to know
what
> > the general thought is.  To make a conversion prgram from Topspeed
> > Access from a Visual C++ app, should I go with the Topspeed ODBC
driver
> > or is it better to get Clarion and make a dll like someone else
> > suggested?

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 08 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Topspeed ODBC vs. Clarion
Couldn't anyone with the later versions of TopScan export this file to CSV
after a few minutes of preparation?  I realize this may not be a viable
solution if the data contains sensitive material and cannot leave the
customer's possession.

While we certainly would like to see more programmers join our ranks, I
believe there are only two low-cost solutions for TJ.

1. As has already been suggested, hire an existing Clarion programmer.
Should not cost a lot to achieve it.

2. If TJ is already a programmer, purchase and use the Topspeed ODBC driver
which is available to end-users.  I think it costs about $250 for a 5-pack.
I know this is a bit of an overkill.  However, when compared to the price of
Clarion, it is certainly less costly.

Tue, 08 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Topspeed ODBC vs. Clarion
Thanks for your suggestions.  I may have to go with your first option
or buy Clarion since this product goes to thousands of users.  If we
had to buy a Topspeed driver for every sale, our cost would be
increased drastically.  Thank you.

Quote:
> Couldn't anyone with the later versions of TopScan export this file
to CSV
> after a few minutes of preparation?  I realize this may not be a
viable
> solution if the data contains sensitive material and cannot leave the
> customer's possession.

> While we certainly would like to see more programmers join our ranks,
> believe there are only two low-cost solutions for TJ.

> 1. As has already been suggested, hire an existing Clarion programmer.
> Should not cost a lot to achieve it.

> 2. If TJ is already a programmer, purchase and use the Topspeed ODBC
driver
> which is available to end-users.  I think it costs about $250 for a 5-
pack.
> I know this is a bit of an overkill.  However, when compared to the
price of
> Clarion, it is certainly less costly.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 08 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Topspeed ODBC vs. Clarion
Yes, you could certainly do that.  Is this something you need to do on an
ongoing basis.  If not, why would you create a dll and then write a C++
program to export the data to Access?  Why not just write a simple Clarion
program to do the whole thing??

-- Chris

Quote:
> Is it possible to write a dll in Clarion that would allow us to gain
> access to the Topspeed database from Visual C++?  The dll would contain
> a set of fuctions to go through the database.  That way I could plug
> that data into existing Access database myself.

> > You could probably hire virtually anyone on this newsgroup to write
> the
> > conversion program for you in about 1 hour.

> > -- Chris Behling

> > PS:  If you must do it yourself, buy Clarion!!

> > > I have recieved a lot of advice.  Thank you all!  I want to know
> what
> > > the general thought is.  To make a conversion prgram from Topspeed
> > > Access from a Visual C++ app, should I go with the Topspeed ODBC
> driver
> > > or is it better to get Clarion and make a dll like someone else
> > > suggested?

> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Tue, 08 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Topspeed ODBC vs. Clarion
It is going to be shared between two products and is going to be called
from the existing C++ program.  I thought a dll would be ideal for
this.  I also wanted to keep the existing program self contained so
that I would not have to deal with figuring out when the separate
executable is done processing.
You have been a great help.  I really appreciate it!!!

Quote:
> Yes, you could certainly do that.  Is this something you need to do
on an
> ongoing basis.  If not, why would you create a dll and then write a
C++
> program to export the data to Access?  Why not just write a simple
Clarion
> program to do the whole thing??

> -- Chris

> > Is it possible to write a dll in Clarion that would allow us to gain
> > access to the Topspeed database from Visual C++?  The dll would
contain
> > a set of fuctions to go through the database.  That way I could plug
> > that data into existing Access database myself.

> > > You could probably hire virtually anyone on this newsgroup to
write
> > the
> > > conversion program for you in about 1 hour.

> > > -- Chris Behling

> > > PS:  If you must do it yourself, buy Clarion!!

> > what
Topspeed
> > driver

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 08 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. ODBC driver for Clarion (TopSpeed) - problem

2. ODBC for Clarion and Topspeed

3. comp.lang.clarion Vs. topspeed.product.c4

4. TOPSPEED vs CLARION Transaction speeds

5. Clarion Vs. TopSpeed Driver / Speed

6. TopSpeed Releases Free Beta 2 of TopSpeed ODBC Driver

7. Clarion vs. Topspeed file drivers -Reply

8. Clarion vs. Topspeed file drivers

9. Clarion vs. Topspeed file drivers -Reply -Reply

10. slow performance with Topspeed driver 2003B3 vs Clarion driver in easy app

11. Clarion vs. Topspeed driver

12. Native-Oracle vs ODBC-DB2 with Clarion 5.5