Linking App ICO as External Source
Author Message
 Linking App ICO as External Source

Hi All

I am trying to link an Icon as External source into my app.

I followed the instructions in the help file as 'HOW TO LINK EXTERNAL
RESOURCES'.  My problem is that they say in point 3. that you should
click on the Edit button.  Mine is disabled.  Whow!

What I want to do is to show one icon on all my screens.  I can do this
'Thanks for Andy Kaczmarczyk for posting the answer for that on the
LIST' if I place the icon in the specified directory.

But what I want to do is to link that Icon into my program so that I
don't have to ship it with the program.

Any ideas?

Regards
Marius

Sat, 26 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Linking App ICO as External Source

-->Hi All
-->
-->I am trying to link an Icon as External source into my app.
-->
-->I followed the instructions in the help file as 'HOW TO LINK EXTERNAL
-->RESOURCES'.  My problem is that they say in point 3. that you should
-->click on the Edit button.  Mine is disabled.  Whow!
-->
-->What I want to do is to show one icon on all my screens.  I can do this
-->'Thanks for Andy Kaczmarczyk for posting the answer for that on the
-->LIST' if I place the icon in the specified directory.
-->
-->But what I want to do is to link that Icon into my program so that I
-->don't have to ship it with the program.
-->
-->Any ideas?
-->

Add your icon file to your PROJECT ( libraries, objects and resources files ) by clicking
on the add button when this line is highlighted.

Then, in your application, replace all references to this file by ~filename.ico.

There is an error in the help, you cannot edit directly your sources files from the
project editor.

Bernard Grosperrin - ALIAS(Bernie) -Team Topspeed Internet

Sun, 27 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Linking App ICO as External Source

Quote:
>Hi All
>I am trying to link an Icon as External source into my app.

Go to the Project Editor, highlight the 'Library,object and resource files'
and then choose Add.
In your references to this icon you have to prefix the icon's name with
a tilde (~) like ~ICON.ICO

Best Regards,
Nick B. Cassos

Wed, 30 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Linking App ICO as External Source

Hi Marius,

Quote:
>I am trying to link an Icon as External source into my app.
>I followed the instructions in the help file as 'HOW TO LINK EXTERNAL
>RESOURCES'.  My problem is that they say in point 3. that you should
>click on the Edit button.  Mine is disabled.  Whow!
>But what I want to do is to link that Icon into my program so that I
>don't have to ship it with the program.

There's a far easier way to do this than messing about with linking
external resources via the Project facility. Just set up a Window
procedure, and plop all of the icons that you need in there. This
procedure will never be called, but CW still links in the icon files
into your compiled EXE.

Then to use them, just pop the tilde(~) in front to indicate to CW
that the icon is already defined in your app.

(1) If the icon is in the same directory as your app, use '~MYICO.ICO'
(2) If the icon is in a different directory, then you need to specify
the full pathname, such as '~C:\MYDIR\MYICO.ICO'

Hope this helps
--
Steve Greenwood
HiCaliber Software

Sat, 03 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Linking App ICO as External Source -Reply

2. External link errors when using external Catalyst SocketTools Library Edition 2.15 dll

3. Zip App 1.1c Released - fixed ICO option

4. Link .ICO file

5. Spawning an external app/process

6. Unresolved external in sub app

7. Capture External App Print Data?

8. Changing an external apps title-bar

9. VX-REXX Starting External PM Apps?

10. Call external DOS apps from within MS Fortran

11. executing external TK scripts from a main TK app

12. Newbie: Output From External App / Demon Mode w/ CL-Input