slow, very slow
Author Message
 slow, very slow

I have an application in C55PE (legacy, full patch07 and 08). Until
yesterday it was working very well, but at once it began use very long time,
minutes in browses and other functions. I have made no modifications, so the
reason is in Clarion, not in the application.

Pekka Hjelt

Sat, 21 May 2005 06:36:14 GMT
 slow, very slow
Hi Pekka

We would need a bit more information to be able to help you.

Where is your data stored, Local drive or network
What format is the data in, TPS, SQL etc
Does this happen on one machine or all.

The chances are that this is not Clarion but the environment that it is
running in.  If you have not made modifications of your app, it is not right
to assume that some modifications have been made to Clarion if it was
running correctly yesterday.

If it is a network environment, I would suggest that you have a network card
problem somewhere on your system as I have seen this before.

Cheers
Simon Burrows
MailMerge Templates - Add mailmerging facilities to your apps
VariView templates. - Display your variables and fields as you run your
application
WordSpell templates. - Seamlessly use MS Word's Spell checker in your apps.
Layout Manager templates - Let your customers change your screen layouts
and control properties to suit their needs at runtime.
List & Label Templates - Unlimited report layouts, defined by your user at
runtime in your Clarion application
Free template sets
http://www.solace-software.demon.co.uk

Quote:
> I have an application in C55PE (legacy, full patch07 and 08). Until
> yesterday it was working very well, but at once it began use very long
time,
> minutes in browses and other functions. I have made no modifications, so
the
> reason is in Clarion, not in the application.

> Pekka Hjelt

   http://www.newsfeed.com       The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Sun, 22 May 2005 07:11:32 GMT
 slow, very slow
Hi Pekka,

Quote:
>I have an application in C55PE (legacy, full patch07 and 08). Until
>yesterday it was working very well, but at once it began use very long time,
>minutes in browses and other functions. I have made no modifications, so the
>reason is in Clarion, not in the application.

Make sure that tracing hasn't been turned on for the file drivers you
use.  Run the Trace utility, it's in the Tools submenu from the
Clarion 5.5 menu in the Start button menu tree (windows, not Clarion)
and check the drivers.

Best regards,

Arnr Baldvinsson
Icetips Software
San Antonio, Texas, USA
www.icetips.com

ICQ:  113314380

Subscribe to information from Icetips.com:
http://www.icetips.com/getnotificationinfo.htm

Mon, 23 May 2005 03:56:41 GMT
 slow, very slow
That was the reason! Many, many thanks to you.

Pekka Hjelt

Mon, 23 May 2005 04:46:18 GMT
 slow, very slow
How would tracing get turned on "accidentally"? Is ths only way to run the
trace utility?

Ed Campbell

Quote:
> Hi Pekka,

> >I have an application in C55PE (legacy, full patch07 and 08). Until
> >yesterday it was working very well, but at once it began use very long
time,
> >minutes in browses and other functions. I have made no modifications, so
the
> >reason is in Clarion, not in the application.

> Make sure that tracing hasn't been turned on for the file drivers you
> use.  Run the Trace utility, it's in the Tools submenu from the
> Clarion 5.5 menu in the Start button menu tree (windows, not Clarion)
> and check the drivers.

> Best regards,

> Arnr Baldvinsson
> Icetips Software
> San Antonio, Texas, USA
> www.icetips.com

> ICQ:  113314380

> Subscribe to information from Icetips.com:
> http://www.icetips.com/getnotificationinfo.htm

Mon, 23 May 2005 09:43:56 GMT
 slow, very slow
Hi Ed,

Quote:

>How would tracing get turned on "accidentally"? Is ths only way to run the
>trace utility?

This has baffled me for a long time.  When an update came out, think
it was C5B, all of a sudden a lot of people experienced this kind of
behaviour and it was always the same cause - the trace had
mysteriously been turned on.  I even created a little program to log
any changes to the trace settings and had it running for most of the
time for couple of months and nothing happened.  It is possible that
people turned it on by accident, but I am _almost_ convinced that
something turned it on inside the Clarion IDE or by some external
program other than Trace.exe.  It didn't make sense because everyone I
contacted said they had never run the trace program before and I never
found a reason to doubt that.

Best regards,

Arnr Baldvinsson
Icetips Software
San Antonio, Texas, USA
www.icetips.com

ICQ:  113314380

Subscribe to information from Icetips.com:
http://www.icetips.com/getnotificationinfo.htm

Mon, 23 May 2005 10:47:27 GMT
 slow, very slow
Hi Arnor,

Quote:
> contacted said they had never run the trace program before and I never

All it does is setting a flag in Win.ini:
[CWTOPSPEED]
TraceFile=e:\temp\trace.txt
Profile=0
Details=1
You don't need Trace.exe to set this flag.

--

Best regards,
Maarten

"My software never has bugs.
  It just develops random features."

Tue, 24 May 2005 03:48:19 GMT
 slow, very slow
Hi Arnor

Unfortunately, it is very easy to turn the trace on.  When a new version
comes out, people naturally go to have a look on the Programs|Clarion 5.5
etc menu.  On there under the tools submenu is a tool for 'Trace database
driver'  If you run it and select topspeed, nothing appears to have
happened, so you shrug and leave it.  In fact it has switched the ini file
to switch on the tracing.

Cheers
Simon Burrows
MailMerge Templates - Add mailmerging facilities to your apps
VariView templates. - Display your variables and fields as you run your
application
WordSpell templates. - Seamlessly use MS Word's Spell checker in your apps.
Layout Manager templates - Let your customers change your screen layouts
and control properties to suit their needs at runtime.
List & Label Templates - Unlimited report layouts, defined by your user at
runtime in your Clarion application
Free template sets
http://www.solace-software.demon.co.uk

Quote:
> Hi Ed,

> >How would tracing get turned on "accidentally"? Is ths only way to run
the
> >trace utility?

> This has baffled me for a long time.  When an update came out, think
> it was C5B, all of a sudden a lot of people experienced this kind of
> behaviour and it was always the same cause - the trace had
> mysteriously been turned on.  I even created a little program to log
> any changes to the trace settings and had it running for most of the
> time for couple of months and nothing happened.  It is possible that
> people turned it on by accident, but I am _almost_ convinced that
> something turned it on inside the Clarion IDE or by some external
> program other than Trace.exe.  It didn't make sense because everyone I
> contacted said they had never run the trace program before and I never
> found a reason to doubt that.

> Best regards,

> Arnr Baldvinsson
> Icetips Software
> San Antonio, Texas, USA
> www.icetips.com

> ICQ:  113314380

> Subscribe to information from Icetips.com:
> http://www.icetips.com/getnotificationinfo.htm

   http://www.newsfeed.com       The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Tue, 24 May 2005 06:00:41 GMT
 slow, very slow
Hi Maarten,

Quote:
>You don't need Trace.exe to set this flag.

I know that - that is what I monitored for months.  But it's even less
likely that people accidentally add this to the win.ini than it is
that they accidentally run trace.exe<g>

The point is that there was quite a lot of people who experienced this
after ONE particular release, think it was C5B.

Best regards,

Arnr Baldvinsson
Icetips Software
San Antonio, Texas, USA
www.icetips.com

ICQ:  113314380

Subscribe to information from Icetips.com:
http://www.icetips.com/getnotificationinfo.htm

Tue, 24 May 2005 05:12:13 GMT
 slow, very slow
Hi Simon,

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 22:00:41 -0000, "Simon Burrows"

Quote:

>Unfortunately, it is very easy to turn the trace on.  When a new version

Doesn't explain why when C5A or C5B came out (forget which release it
was) there were more postings about slowness caused by trace being
turned on than all other Clarion releases put together.

Best regards,

Arnr Baldvinsson
Icetips Software
San Antonio, Texas, USA
www.icetips.com

ICQ:  113314380

Subscribe to information from Icetips.com:
http://www.icetips.com/getnotificationinfo.htm

Tue, 24 May 2005 06:27:50 GMT
 slow, very slow
Hi Arnor,

Quote:
> likely that people accidentally add this to the win.ini than it is

I did<g> But not accidentally;)

Quote:
> after ONE particular release, think it was C5B.

I can't remember having those "problems" with C5A/B.
All I can guess that the installer added the Win.ini entries
(activated, by mistake). People that patched to C5b didn't
have this "problem" and people who installed from CD had ???

--

Best regards,
Maarten
CDD3.1, C5EEb - ABC & C5.5.04EE
Certainly Clarion Developer

"My software never has bugs.
  It just develops random features."

Wed, 25 May 2005 03:43:15 GMT
 slow, very slow
Hi Maarten,

Quote:
>All I can guess that the installer added the Win.ini entries
>(activated, by mistake). People that patched to C5b didn't
>have this "problem" and people who installed from CD had ???

I don't remember the specifics, this was like 3 years ago<g>
Something seemed to trigger this because there were couple messages
every DAY for about a month or so from people with this problem.  It
never made any sense...

Best regards,

Arnr Baldvinsson
Icetips Software
San Antonio, Texas, USA
www.icetips.com

ICQ:  113314380

Subscribe to information from Icetips.com:
http://www.icetips.com/getnotificationinfo.htm

Wed, 25 May 2005 04:34:11 GMT

1. Loop with Write key.vi goes slower and slower

2. SysCreateObject gets slower and slower

3. Tcl getting slower and slower on HP-UX

4. Slow file access - Slow program startup

5. All the talk about slow servers, Is Novell slow too?

6. vw2.5 sometimes slows down when large

7. Pong from Inside Smalltalk is SLOW under Squeak

8. PositionableStream>>nextWord slow

9. My application is runing very slow...

10. Slow display of SUnitBrowser

11. Iota slow as hell

12. slow creation of sub-presenters