Help needed,Hot to send .TPS to ASCII file
Author Message
 Help needed,Hot to send .TPS to ASCII file

Does someone know how to send data from a .TPS file to an ASCII file?
I need to create a simple Application to collect data on a notebook
and then export to an application that only handles ASCII files.

I'm new with CW5 and I urgently need some help!.

Thanks for the help.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 18 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help needed,Hot to send .TPS to ASCII file
Hi Hector,

I'll take a crack at this one. I assume that you have a small app and
dct that defines the TPS file. Open the dct and highlight the tps
file. Cntl+c to copy, then Cntl+v to paste. You should get the file
properties screen. Give it a name, for example, ASCII1. Leave the
driver as topspeed for the moment and hit OK. Go to the fields/key for
this new file and delete the keys, (ASCII doesn't support them). Then
like you want a process to perform this regularly so I would make a
menu item that calls a Process procedure. Make the tps file the main
file and name the ASCII1 file in 'other'. In the 'Activity for each
record' embed, do a 'ADD(ASCII1)'. Run it then browse the ASCII file
in the dictionary to see if they made it. Delete or rename the ASCII
file before you want to create a new one otherwise it will just append
the new records.

Quote:

>Does someone know how to send data from a .TPS file to an ASCII file?
>I need to create a simple Application to collect data on a notebook
>and then export to an application that only handles ASCII files.

>I'm new with CW5 and I urgently need some help!.

>Thanks for the help.

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Mon, 19 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help needed,Hot to send .TPS to ASCII file
you're instructions are very good, except you missed a critical element.
before the ADD(ASCII1) you need to equate the fields from the topspeed
file to those in the ASCII file so that the ASCII file buffer gets filled
in so it actually adds something.

You need a structure like
   ASCII:Field1=Topspeed:Field1
   ASCII:Field2=Topspeed:Field2
    add(ASCII1)

Quote:

--
Tim Phillips
Vermont Agency of Natural Resources

Mon, 19 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help needed,Hot to send .TPS to ASCII file
On Thu, 02 Mar 2000 07:17:25 -0500, Tim Phillips

Quote:

>You need a structure like
>   ASCII:Field1=Topspeed:Field1
>   ASCII:Field2=Topspeed:Field2
>    add(ASCII1)

Hi!

It's shorter, easier and more elegant to use:
        record(ASCIIfile)=record(TPSfile)
        add(ASCIfile)

Miroslav

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
*** Miroslav Benak

*** Clarion Paranoid Home
*** www.open.hr/~mbenak
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Mon, 19 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help needed,Hot to send .TPS to ASCII file
Miroslav,

Quote:
> It's shorter, easier and more elegant to use:
> record(ASCIIfile)=record(TPSfile)

Don't know this syntax. I guess you mean:
  ASC:Record = TPS:Record

Quote:

--
Best regards,
Maarten

Mon, 19 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help needed,Hot to send .TPS to ASCII file
If you use ABC, the embedpoint is LocalObject,ThisProsess,TakeRecord.
And you can delete your file in the Open-embed with 'remove(yourfile)'

Tue, 20 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help needed,Hot to send .TPS to ASCII file
Actually I placed It at ThisWindow,InitProcess before the Open Section.

Thanks for your help.

Quote:
> If you use ABC, the embedpoint is LocalObject,ThisProsess,TakeRecord.
> And you can delete your file in the Open-embed with 'remove(yourfile)'

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Thu, 22 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help needed,Hot to send .TPS to ASCII file
Hi kmchugh,

I put every suggestion in place and It works fine.

Just one little thing; Records on the ASCII file has variable length.

I used ASC:Record=TPS:Record. Do you know a way to make the ASCII file
records the same length?

Greetings.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Thu, 22 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help needed,Hot to send .TPS to ASCII file
Hello,
I put every piece together and everything is working fine, except for
one thing; The records on the ASCII file are of variable length.
How can I make al records the same length?
That's the minor problem that I need to fix in order to complete my very
first simple application using Clarion!
Thanks for the help.

Quote:

> Hi Hector,

> I'll take a crack at this one. I assume that you have a small app and
> dct that defines the TPS file. Open the dct and highlight the tps
> file. Cntl+c to copy, then Cntl+v to paste. You should get the file
> properties screen. Give it a name, for example, ASCII1. Leave the
> driver as topspeed for the moment and hit OK. Go to the fields/key for
> this new file and delete the keys, (ASCII doesn't support them). Then
> like you want a process to perform this regularly so I would make a
> menu item that calls a Process procedure. Make the tps file the main
> file and name the ASCII1 file in 'other'. In the 'Activity for each
> record' embed, do a 'ADD(ASCII1)'. Run it then browse the ASCII file
> in the dictionary to see if they made it. Delete or rename the ASCII
> file before you want to create a new one otherwise it will just append
> the new records.

> >Does someone know how to send data from a .TPS file to an ASCII file?
> >I need to create a simple Application to collect data on a notebook
> >and then export to an application that only handles ASCII files.

> >I'm new with CW5 and I urgently need some help!.

> >Thanks for the help.

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 31 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help needed,Hot to send .TPS to ASCII file
Hi there Hector

Check your help file (F1) for Database Drivers.

Here is an extract:
The ASCII Driver supports the following Driver Strings:

CLIP

DRIVER('ASCII', '/CLIP = on | off' )
 [ Clip" = ] SEND(file, 'CLIP [ = on | off ]' )

The driver automatically removes trailing spaces from a record before
writing it to file. Conversely, the driver automatically expands the clipped
records with spaces when read. To disable this feature, set CLIP to OFF. The
default is ON. SEND returns the CLIP setting (ON or OFF) in the form of a
STRING(3).

HTH

--
best wishes

Eric Churton
Simplified Software
The Simsoft Templates for plug-in on-screen keyboards and keypads
http://www.vertigo.co.za/simplesoft/

Quote:
> Hello,
> I put every piece together and everything is working fine, except for
> one thing; The records on the ASCII file are of variable length.
> How can I make al records the same length?
> That's the minor problem that I need to fix in order to complete my very
> first simple application using Clarion!
> Thanks for the help.

> > Hi Hector,

> > I'll take a crack at this one. I assume that you have a small app and
> > dct that defines the TPS file. Open the dct and highlight the tps
> > file. Cntl+c to copy, then Cntl+v to paste. You should get the file
> > properties screen. Give it a name, for example, ASCII1. Leave the
> > driver as topspeed for the moment and hit OK. Go to the fields/key for
> > this new file and delete the keys, (ASCII doesn't support them). Then
> > like you want a process to perform this regularly so I would make a
> > menu item that calls a Process procedure. Make the tps file the main
> > file and name the ASCII1 file in 'other'. In the 'Activity for each
> > record' embed, do a 'ADD(ASCII1)'. Run it then browse the ASCII file
> > in the dictionary to see if they made it. Delete or rename the ASCII
> > file before you want to create a new one otherwise it will just append
> > the new records.

> > >Does someone know how to send data from a .TPS file to an ASCII file?
> > >I need to create a simple Application to collect data on a notebook
> > >and then export to an application that only handles ASCII files.

> > >I'm new with CW5 and I urgently need some help!.

> > >Thanks for the help.

> > >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > >Before you buy.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sat, 31 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. how to export ASCII files from .TPS files ?

2. Trouble importing ascii file into .tps database file.

3. Corrupted TPS file - need help

4. Need converter program to translate ascii to ebcdic in mixes ascii/binary file

5. Need to convert TPS to ASCII TAB delimited

6. Need to convert TPS to ASCII TAB delimited

7. TO ALL CLARION GURUS: Non-Clarion pgrmr needs a .TPS->ASCII tool

8. Help needed with ascii file driver

9. Need help on displaying ASCII files

10. Need help on Direct Access of an ASCII data file by Fortran

11. Need help parsing an ascii file with tcl

12. Help needed: How to send files to server ?