Qs on CLUBMGR, Template BUG ???
Author Message
 Qs on CLUBMGR, Template BUG ???

Hi There,

I am experienced with Clarion for DOS (yes the faithful 2.1) and using
CW 2003 only recently.
Started to play around with the Club Manager example application and I
have these questions:

1. On the UpdateMembers FORM I wanted to use the "Display Record
Identifier on
the Title Bar" which is part of "Messages and Titles".

Identifier field, hoping it will display the Record Number being edited.

You can imagine I was surprised to see this TEXT (i.e. format...)
instead of the record number.
Some additional research into the template files revealed the fact that
the template checks for a "!" as the first char and then treats it as a
variable.
That looked very strange initially, and I was wondering if I could find
any reference to
this technique in the help file. Sure enough I found the following
explanation:

"Record Identifier Specifies the string to append to the Title bar
caption, which you can use
to identify the record. Type a string in the Record Identifier box. To
use a variable name, precede it with an exclamation point (! ). "

Now this is really strange. It REVERSES the simple logic one could
assume on this usage. Any experienced Clarion programmer will use
'string' (i.e. quoted)
if he wants to display a constant text string and  VariableName (i.e.
non quoted) to use a variable.  Why suddenly the use of ! which is
Clarionese for Comment? Very confusing and un expected.

2. Also, the same template will append (New) to the Window Title on
Insertion. This is assuming a bit too much, especially if we have a
record key that was calculated
already. The template should allow us to put what WE want on the Title
and not what it assumes is right.

3. This question relates to the same UpdateMembers FORM.
On the same Messages and Titles I wanted to check "After Successful
Insert" the option to
"Insert another record". Looks reasonable if usually you add a few
members at a time. This
compiled nicely, however at run time, the insertion loops to the second
member and DOES NOT ADVANCE the MemberNumber (hence when ACCEPTED get
Duplicate Key error). By the way, while on the second insertion, it
shows the phone record of the first insertion, which proves that the
MBR:MemberNumber is the previous and not the new one.
I was trying to figure out the Primary Key increment logic from the
Templates everything seems OK. Some additional research into this shows
that this BUG (?) only happens if you inserted any phone record on the
first member insert. If you do not create any phone records on the
member, the next member is created OK.

I wonder if you could explain if I am doing anything wrong. Do
I need to do anything else besides selecting "Insert another record" or
could this be a BUG in the Template.

I do appreciate any help on these questions.

Best regards

--

Israel S Baumel
Tel: (201) 796-3039

Fri, 12 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Qs on CLUBMGR, Template BUG ???

Hi.

If your phone numbers are in a seperate table from your customer records,
you need to manually increment your telephone table to the new customer id.

Ciao

Quote:

>Hi There,

>I am experienced with Clarion for DOS (yes the faithful 2.1) and using
>CW 2003 only recently.

>--

>Israel S Baumel
>Tel: (201) 796-3039
>Fax: (201) 794-3354

Sat, 13 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Qs on CLUBMGR, Template BUG ???

The options in the Messages and Titles button are the quick and dirty
technique for adding information - if you want something more powerful use
the Embed for Event:OpenWindow and type in whatever you want to appear in
the title bar using the syntax...

0{Prop:Text} = 'This is what I want in the title bar' ! or any variable

The use of '!' is just a template specification to allow easy entry of a
variable instead of a string, it could have been any character.

I think you might be correct about the multi insert behaviour, I haven't
used it.  Use of the embeds to do the right thing might be possible.

--

Regards,
Geoff Bomford

Quote:

> [...]

>compiled nicely, however at run time, the insertion loops to the second
>member and DOES NOT ADVANCE the MemberNumber (hence when ACCEPTED get
>Duplicate Key error). By the way, while on the second insertion, it
>shows the phone record of the first insertion, which proves that the
>MBR:MemberNumber is the previous and not the new one.
>I was trying to figure out the Primary Key increment logic from the
>Templates everything seems OK. Some additional research into this shows
>that this BUG (?) only happens if you inserted any phone record on the
>first member insert. If you do not create any phone records on the
>member, the next member is created OK.

>I wonder if you could explain if I am doing anything wrong. Do
>I need to do anything else besides selecting "Insert another record" or
>could this be a BUG in the Template.

>I do appreciate any help on these questions.

Sat, 13 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Qs on CLUBMGR, Template BUG ???

--------------35954FC5E6A45536CF28FDEA

Quote:

> The use of '!' is just a template specification to allow easy entry of a
> variable instead of a string, it could have been any character.

This i can understand, the question however is why did they decide to have
this "template specification". Wouldn't it be more natural for any of us to
write 'string text'   if we want a string and variable if we want a variable?

Quote:

--
Israel S Baumel
MIPTECH Business Systems, Inc.

--------------35954FC5E6A45536CF28FDEA

<HTML>
&nbsp;

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

<P>The use of '!' is just a template specification to allow easy entry
of a
<BR>variable instead of a string, it could have been any character.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
This i can understand, the question however is why did they decide to have
this "template specification". Wouldn't it be more natural for any of us
to write <I>'string text'&nbsp;&nbsp; </I>if we want a string and <I>variable</I>
if we want a variable?
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>--

<P>Regards,
<BR>Geoff Bomford
<BR>ComForMark
<BR>Computer services For Marketing
<BR>Sydney,&nbsp; Australia

<BR>>Hi There,
<BR>>
<BR>>I am experienced with Clarion for DOS (yes the faithful 2.1) and using
<BR>>CW 2003 only recently.
<BR>>Started to play around with the Club Manager example application and
<BR>>have these questions:
<BR>>
<BR>>1. On the UpdateMembers FORM I wanted to use the "Display Record
<BR>>Identifier on
<BR>>the Title Bar" which is part of "Messages and Titles".

<BR>>Identifier field, hoping it will display the Record Number being edited.
<BR>>
<BR>>You can imagine I was surprised to see this TEXT (i.e. format...)
<BR>>instead of the record number.
<BR>>Some additional research into the template files revealed the fact
that
<BR>>the template checks for a "!" as the first char and then treats it
as a
<BR>>variable.
<BR>>That looked very strange initially, and I was wondering if I could
find
<BR>>any reference to
<BR>>this technique in the help file. Sure enough I found the following
<BR>>explanation:
<BR>>
<BR>>"Record Identifier Specifies the string to append to the Title bar
<BR>>caption, which you can use
<BR>>to identify the record. Type a string in the Record Identifier box.
<BR>>use a variable name, precede it with an exclamation point (! ). "
<BR>>
<BR>>Now this is really strange. It REVERSES the simple logic one could
<BR>>assume on this usage. Any experienced Clarion programmer will use
<BR>>'string' (i.e. quoted)
<BR>>if he wants to display a constant text string and&nbsp; VariableName
(i.e.
<BR>>non quoted) to use a variable.&nbsp; Why suddenly the use of ! which
is
<BR>>Clarionese for Comment? Very confusing and un expected.
<BR>>
<BR>>2. Also, the same template will append (New) to the Window Title on
<BR>>Insertion. This is assuming a bit too much, especially if we have
<BR>>record key that was calculated
<BR>>already. The template should allow us to put what WE want on the Title
<BR>>and not what it assumes is right.
<BR>>
<BR>>3. This question relates to the same UpdateMembers FORM.
<BR>>On the same Messages and Titles I wanted to check "After Successful
<BR>>Insert" the option to
<BR>>"Insert another record". Looks reasonable if usually you add a few
<BR>>members at a time. This
<BR>>compiled nicely, however at run time, the insertion loops to the second
<BR>>member and DOES NOT ADVANCE the MemberNumber (hence when ACCEPTED
get
<BR>>Duplicate Key error). By the way, while on the second insertion, it
<BR>>shows the phone record of the first insertion, which proves that the
<BR>>MBR:MemberNumber is the previous and not the new one.
<BR>>I was trying to figure out the Primary Key increment logic from the
<BR>>Templates everything seems OK. Some additional research into this
shows
<BR>>that this BUG (?) only happens if you inserted any phone record on
the
<BR>>first member insert. If you do not create any phone records on the
<BR>>member, the next member is created OK.
<BR>>
<BR>>I wonder if you could explain if I am doing anything wrong. Do
<BR>>I need to do anything else besides selecting "Insert another record"
or
<BR>>could this be a BUG in the Template.
<BR>>
<BR>>I do appreciate any help on these questions.
<BR>>
<BR>>Best regards
<BR>>
<BR>>--
<BR>>
<BR>>Israel S Baumel
<BR>>Tel: (201) 796-3039
<BR>>Fax: (201) 794-3354

<BR>>
<BR>></BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;

<P>--
<BR>Israel S Baumel
<BR>MIPTECH Business Systems, Inc.
<BR>15-12 Landzettel Way
<BR>Fair Lawn, NJ 07410
<BR>Tel: (201) 796-3039
<BR>Fax: (201) 794-3354

<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------35954FC5E6A45536CF28FDEA--

Sat, 13 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Qs on CLUBMGR, Template BUG ???

------=_NextPart_000_00F7_01BCF9DE.4A200680

Unfortunately, no.  The ! (or whatever character that they could have =
chosen) is needed to help with the template generation logic.  The logic =
NEEDS to know whether you selected a variable or a string.  The template =
cannot search for a beginning quote mark, as this is a special =
character.  There are basically IF statements in the template language =
that generate the code in different ways depending upon the type of data =
it is dealing with.  In other words, it's more than just simple =
substitution and inclusion.

--=20
Best Regards,
Jerry P. Ray - Hard at Work
Computer Discount Center
Home of the Computer Doctors

     =20

   =20
    The use of '!' is just a template specification to allow easy entry =
of a=20
        variable instead of a string, it could have been any character.=20
       =20
       =20
        This i can understand, the question however is why did they =
decide to have this "template specification". Wouldn't it be more =
natural for any of us to write 'string text'   if we want a string and =
variable if we want a variable?=20
    --=20
        Regards,=20
        Geoff Bomford=20
        ComForMark=20
        Computer services For Marketing=20
        Sydney,  Australia=20
       =20

        >Hi There,=20
        >=20
        >I am experienced with Clarion for DOS (yes the faithful 2.1) =
and using=20
        >CW 2003 only recently.=20
        >Started to play around with the Club Manager example =
application and I=20
        >have these questions:=20
        >=20
        >1. On the UpdateMembers FORM I wanted to use the "Display =
Record=20
        >Identifier on=20
        >the Title Bar" which is part of "Messages and Titles".=20

the record=20
        >Identifier field, hoping it will display the Record Number =
being edited.=20
        >=20
        >You can imagine I was surprised to see this TEXT (i.e. =
format...)=20
        >instead of the record number.=20
        >Some additional research into the template files revealed the =
fact that=20
        >the template checks for a "!" as the first char and then treats =
it as a=20
        >variable.=20
        >That looked very strange initially, and I was wondering if I =
could find=20
        >any reference to=20
        >this technique in the help file. Sure enough I found the =
following=20
        >explanation:=20
        >=20
        >"Record Identifier Specifies the string to append to the Title =
bar=20
        >caption, which you can use=20
        >to identify the record. Type a string in the Record Identifier =
box. To=20
        >use a variable name, precede it with an exclamation point (! ). =
"=20
        >=20
        >Now this is really strange. It REVERSES the simple logic one =
could=20
        >assume on this usage. Any experienced Clarion programmer will =
use=20
        >'string' (i.e. quoted)=20
        >if he wants to display a constant text string and  VariableName =
(i.e.=20
        >non quoted) to use a variable.  Why suddenly the use of ! which =
is=20
        >Clarionese for Comment? Very confusing and un expected.=20
        >=20
        >2. Also, the same template will append (New) to the Window =
Title on=20
        >Insertion. This is assuming a bit too much, especially if we =
have a=20
        >record key that was calculated=20
        >already. The template should allow us to put what WE want on =
the Title=20
        >and not what it assumes is right.=20
        >=20
        >3. This question relates to the same UpdateMembers FORM.=20
        >On the same Messages and Titles I wanted to check "After =
Successful=20
        >Insert" the option to=20
        >"Insert another record". Looks reasonable if usually you add a =
few=20
        >members at a time. This=20
        >compiled nicely, however at run time, the insertion loops to =
the second=20
        >member and DOES NOT ADVANCE the MemberNumber (hence when =
ACCEPTED get=20
        >Duplicate Key error). By the way, while on the second =
insertion, it=20
        >shows the phone record of the first insertion, which proves =
that the=20
        >MBR:MemberNumber is the previous and not the new one.=20
        >I was trying to figure out the Primary Key increment logic from =
the=20
        >Templates everything seems OK. Some additional research into =
this shows=20
        >that this BUG (?) only happens if you inserted any phone record =
on the=20
        >first member insert. If you do not create any phone records on =
the=20
        >member, the next member is created OK.=20
        >=20
        >I wonder if you could explain if I am doing anything wrong. Do=20
        >I need to do anything else besides selecting "Insert another =
record" or=20
        >could this be a BUG in the Template.=20
        >=20
        >I do appreciate any help on these questions.=20
        >=20
        >Best regards=20
        >=20
        >--=20
        >=20
        >Israel S Baumel=20
        >Tel: (201) 796-3039=20
        >Fax: (201) 794-3354=20

        >=20

       =20
         =20
    --=20
    Israel S Baumel=20
    MIPTECH Business Systems, Inc.=20
    15-12 Landzettel Way=20
    Fair Lawn, NJ 07410=20
    Tel: (201) 796-3039=20
    Fax: (201) 794-3354=20

     =20
   =20

------=_NextPart_000_00F7_01BCF9DE.4A200680

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Unfortunately, no.&nbsp; The ! (or whatever =
character that=20
they could have chosen) is needed to help with the template generation=20
logic.&nbsp; The logic NEEDS to know whether you selected a variable or =
a=20
string.&nbsp; The template cannot search for a beginning quote mark, as =
this is=20
a special character.&nbsp; There are basically IF statements in the =
template=20
language that generate the code in different ways depending upon the =
type of=20
data it is dealing with.&nbsp; In other words, it's more than just =
simple=20
substitution and inclusion.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2><BR>-- <BR></FONT>Best =
Regards,&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Jerry P. Ray - Hard at Work<BR>Computer Discount Center<BR>Home of =
the=20
Computer Doctors<BR>Email: <A =

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">

    =

t;...</DIV>&nbsp;=20
   =20

    <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE =3D CITE>
        <P>The use of '!' is just a template specification to allow easy =
entry=20
        of a <BR>variable instead of a string, it could have been any =
character.=20
        <BR></P></BLOCKQUOTE>This i can understand, the question however =
is why did=20
    they decide to have this &quot;template specification&quot;. =
Wouldn't it be=20
    more natural for any of us to write <I>'string text'&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</I>if we=20
    want a string and <I>variable</I> if we want a variable?=20
    <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE =3D CITE>--=20
        <P>Regards, <BR>Geoff Bomford <BR>ComForMark <BR>Computer =
services For=20
        Marketing <BR>Sydney,&nbsp; Australia=20

        <BR>&gt;Hi There, <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;I am experienced with Clarion =
for DOS=20
        (yes the faithful 2.1) and using <BR>&gt;CW 2003 only recently.=20
        <BR>&gt;Started to play around with the Club Manager example =
application=20
        and I <BR>&gt;have these questions: <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;1. On the=20
        UpdateMembers FORM I wanted to use the &quot;Display Record=20
        <BR>&gt;Identifier on <BR>&gt;the Title Bar&quot; which is part =
of=20
        &quot;Messages and Titles&quot;. <BR>&gt;Naturally I chose to =
put=20

        <BR>&gt;Identifier field, hoping it will display the Record =
Number being=20
        edited. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;You can imagine I was surprised to see =
this=20
        TEXT (i.e. format...) <BR>&gt;instead of the record number. =
<BR>&gt;Some=20
        additional research into the template files revealed the fact =
that=20
        <BR>&gt;the template checks for a &quot;!&quot; as the first =
char and=20
        then treats it as a <BR>&gt;variable. <BR>&gt;That looked very =
strange=20
        initially, and I was wondering if I could find <BR>&gt;any =
reference to=20
        <BR>&gt;this technique in the help file. Sure enough I found the =

        following <BR>&gt;explanation: <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&quot;Record =
Identifier=20
        Specifies the string to append to the Title bar <BR>&gt;caption, =
which=20
        you can use <BR>&gt;to identify the record. Type a string in the =
Record=20
        Identifier box. To <BR>&gt;use a variable name, precede it with =
an=20
        exclamation point (! ). &quot; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;Now this is =
really=20
        strange. It REVERSES the simple logic one could <BR>&gt;assume =
on this=20
        usage. Any experienced Clarion programmer will use =
<BR>&gt;'string'=20

read more »

Sat, 13 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Qs on CLUBMGR, Template BUG ???

> [...]

>compiled nicely, however at run time, the insertion loops to the second
>member and DOES NOT ADVANCE the MemberNumber (hence when ACCEPTED get
>Duplicate Key error). By the way, while on the second insertion, it
>shows the phone record of the first insertion, which proves that the
>MBR:MemberNumber is the previous and not the new one.
>I was trying to figure out the Primary Key increment logic from the
>Templates everything seems OK. Some additional research into this shows
>that this BUG (?) only happens if you inserted any phone record on the
>first member insert. If you do not create any phone records on the
>member, the next member is created OK.

>I wonder if you could explain if I am doing anything wrong. Do
>I need to do anything else besides selecting "Insert another record" or
>could this be a BUG in the Template.

>I do appreciate any help on these questions.

Sat, 13 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Qs on CLUBMGR, Template BUG ???

Quote:

>2. Also, the same template will append (New) to the Window Title on
>Insertion. This is assuming a bit too much, especially if we have a
>record key that was calculated
>already. The template should allow us to put what WE want on the Title
>and not what it assumes is right.

You can change the window text to anything you want. The template only
handle the simple invariant text or one variable string case.

At the After Opening Window embed point, you can add
QuickWindow{Prop:Text} = 'string' & variable & whatever
You can make this dependent on Localrequest too if you want different
string for add and change.

Quote:
>3. This question relates to the same UpdateMembers FORM.
>On the same Messages and Titles I wanted to check "After Successful
>Insert" the option to
>"Insert another record". Looks reasonable if usually you add a few
>members at a time. This
>compiled nicely, however at run time, the insertion loops to the second
>member and DOES NOT ADVANCE the MemberNumber (hence when ACCEPTED get
>Duplicate Key error). By the way, while on the second insertion, it
>shows the phone record of the first insertion, which proves that the
>MBR:MemberNumber is the previous and not the new one.
>I was trying to figure out the Primary Key increment logic from the
>Templates everything seems OK. Some additional research into this shows
>that this BUG (?) only happens if you inserted any phone record on the
>first member insert. If you do not create any phone records on the
>member, the next member is created OK.

I haven't looked at the club managed thing, so don't know how it
works. Sounds like the most likely cause of the error is that adding
phone records has an impact on the value of LocalRequest that then
fools up the logic for adding a new record, but this is only a guess.
I do remember that there used to be an error (what version?) related
to this is the template.

Quote:
>I wonder if you could explain if I am doing anything wrong. Do
>I need to do anything else besides selecting "Insert another record" or
>could this be a BUG in the Template.
>I do appreciate any help on these questions.
>Best regards
>--
>Israel S Baumel
>Tel: (201) 796-3039
>Fax: (201) 794-3354

----------------------
Jon Waterhouse
Andy Rowe Consultants,
St. John's NF

Mon, 22 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Qs on CLUBMGR, Template BUG ???

Quote:

>>2. Also, the same template will append (New) to the Window Title on
>>Insertion. This is assuming a bit too much, especially if we have a
>>record key that was calculated
>>already. The template should allow us to put what WE want on the Title
>>and not what it assumes is right.
>You can change the window text to anything you want. The template only
>handle the simple invariant text or one variable string case.
>At the After Opening Window embed point, you can add

Here's what I use:

In the form template where you fill in the MESSAGES AND TITLES, put

Not[space]Variable[space]-[space] ' & YourVariableHere & '[space]

For example, in the ADD MESSAGE field I put:

Add Record - ' & U:UserName & '

Vince

Tue, 23 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. BUGS, BUGS, BUGS, BUGS, C4 BUGS

2. HTML bug in IC template

3. Rang and Filter Bug? in ABC Templates

4. SecWin - template bug.

5. WARNING: C4b Template Bug - Here is the fix

6. Bug in Template C4b

7. Bug in Template ABC Reports

8. There is a bug in ABC Templates

9. BUGS in Clarion 4 using 2.003 template

10. Possible bug in ABC templates?

11. Key-in template BUG??

12. C4 Gold Template Bug