Clarion - Not just for databases anymore
Author Message
 Clarion - Not just for databases anymore

It's amazing what you can do with the Clarion Language. You don't have to be
stuck with creating boring database applications - have some fun!

I just created a picture viewer called Quick PIC with 100% clarion code. You
can get more information about the product here:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Some tips about the image control in Clarion.
- Be sure to update version 4.0 to the "c" level. A problem with more than
256 colors was finally fixed.
- You can assign an image at runtime with ?Image{PROP:Text} = "path and file
name"
- Did you know that if you try LEN(CLIP(?Image{PROP:Text})) = 0 you know if
the image didn't load
- Clarion has some problems with the new progressive JPG image - I hope this
is fixed in 5.0
- You can copy the image to clipboard with ?Image{PROP:ClipBits} = 1 (Make
sure there is valid picture loaded - if not GPF!)
- The above copy to clipboard doesn't work well for WMF files.
- Once the image is loaded, you can get the image size with
?Image{PROP:Height} and ?Image{PROP:Width}
- Make sure to change the form's measurement mode to "pixels" with
0{PROP:Pixels} = 1 (I think the default is twips)
- Animated GIFs sometimes leave "turds" on the screen. To fix - assign a
background image to the form. I used a 1X1 pixel BMP file and then stretched
it. 0{PROP:WallPaper} = '~dot.bmp', 0{PROP:STRETCH} = 1 What ever color the
"dot" is, will be the background color. There is some noticeable flicker
with the GIF, but at least the "turds" are fixed. (not the best way to fix
it, but it works)

Enjoy Quick PIC, let me know what 'cha think.

Innovative Software Creations - home page: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thu, 22 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion - Not just for databases anymore
Jody

The flickering on animated GIF's can be eliminated with PROP:BUFFER assigned
to the window procedure name.  For example, Window{Prop:Buffer}=1 should do
the trick (You must assign this immediately after opening the Window).  CW,
however, has a problem with certain types transparent gifs.  They are not
conforming to one of the GIF attributes that clears each frame before
painting the next one (You end up with an image that looks like a blur on
the screen because of past frames of the image still existing).  I haven't
tried this in their newest releases, but I'm willing to bet it still exists.

As far as Clarion being more than a database app... you are correct... it's
just not marketed in that manner and so many believe that it can only handle
databases.

Doug

Quote:
> - Animated GIFs sometimes leave "turds" on the screen. To fix - assign a
> background image to the form. I used a 1X1 pixel BMP file and then
stretched
> it. 0{PROP:WallPaper} = '~dot.bmp', 0{PROP:STRETCH} = 1 What ever color
the
> "dot" is, will be the background color. There is some noticeable flicker
> with the GIF, but at least the "turds" are fixed. (not the best way to fix
> it, but it works)

> Enjoy Quick PIC, let me know what 'cha think.

> Innovative Software Creations - home page: http://www.iscreations.com

Thu, 22 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion - Not just for databases anymore
... And the clarity of the code is the best part!

Thu, 22 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Extentions not possible anymore since MacProcID?

2. Streams -Not Just For Characters Anymore

3. QBE do not work anymore

4. Clipper not running on NT anymore

5. OREXX for NT not free anymore?

6. date not correct anymore since include

7. \0 is not he empty string anymore - was in 8.0

8. locale.setlocale not working anymore? python 2.1

9. lib-dynload mysteriously not in sys.path anymore...

10. VA 4: Reopening of AbtShellViews does not work anymore

11. clarion 2.1 key files not working with clarion 4

12. Clarion 5.5PE Candidate 2 Browse Database