Accounting Software Integration
Author Message
 Accounting Software Integration

Hi

I am in need of some technical guidance from the Clarion mavens of the
net....

I have a clarion app that provides  order entry / invoicing / banking
/ AP processing from a small business. Periodically, transactions are
placed in an interface file that are then loaded into the clients
accounting system (NewViews).

The client and I are both keen on eliminating the interface file and
as well as moving to a more up to date accounting package.

I know that one option is to develop a GL in clarion (possibly using
Duke's templates). My preference is to find an off the shelf
accounting package that could accept transaction data directly from
the clarion application.

Does anyone know of an accounting package that will allow this and if
so how would the transactions be "sent" to the accounting database
without resorting to an interface file.

Many thanks

Les

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 03:29:42 GMT
 Accounting Software Integration
Les,

  I have worked with Quickbook, AccPac and now Navision. All of which can
accept files in a specified format that are created from my Clarion
program and then imported to the accounting package. Check out the keyword
"import" in the documentation.

Quote:

> Hi

> I am in need of some technical guidance from the Clarion mavens of the
> net....

> I have a clarion app that provides  order entry / invoicing / banking
> / AP processing from a small business. Periodically, transactions are
> placed in an interface file that are then loaded into the clients
> accounting system (NewViews).

> The client and I are both keen on eliminating the interface file and
> as well as moving to a more up to date accounting package.

> I know that one option is to develop a GL in clarion (possibly using
> Duke's templates). My preference is to find an off the shelf
> accounting package that could accept transaction data directly from
> the clarion application.

> Does anyone know of an accounting package that will allow this and if
> so how would the transactions be "sent" to the accounting database
> without resorting to an interface file.

> Many thanks

> Les

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 03:39:02 GMT
 Accounting Software Integration
Les,

QuickBooks has a COM/XML interface that does not require manual
import/export by the user.

I believe there are others, like Accpac, that have similar interfaces.

IMO, a small developer writing yet another accounting system from
scratch for a single client is kinda crazy unless the client is paying
you hourly to do so :)

---
Mark Riffey
Granite Bear Development
http://www.granitebear.com

Software for professional photography
studios, cultured marble / cast polymer /
solid surface manufacturers and non-profit
organizations

Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:12:25 GMT
 Accounting Software Integration

Sounds like you want to write directly to the accounting programs DB.  I am familiar with QB and Mas90.  There are some tools for QB that may allow you to develop an app to write directly to it.  Otherwise you can always write to an iif file and them import the information.  Look on the QB sites for thier SDK and you may find something worthwile.  Quickbooks may not be the right fit anyway.

Some programs such as Mas90 severly limit the access to their data fields unless you use their import modules.

Michael J. McCormick, CPA
Sleeter Group Certified Quickbooks Consultant

Quote:

> Les,

>   I have worked with Quickbook, AccPac and now Navision. All of which can
> accept files in a specified format that are created from my Clarion
> program and then imported to the accounting package. Check out the keyword
> "import" in the documentation.

> > Hi

> > I am in need of some technical guidance from the Clarion mavens of the
> > net....

> > I have a clarion app that provides  order entry / invoicing / banking
> > / AP processing from a small business. Periodically, transactions are
> > placed in an interface file that are then loaded into the clients
> > accounting system (NewViews).

> > The client and I are both keen on eliminating the interface file and
> > as well as moving to a more up to date accounting package.

> > I know that one option is to develop a GL in clarion (possibly using
> > Duke's templates). My preference is to find an off the shelf
> > accounting package that could accept transaction data directly from
> > the clarion application.

> > Does anyone know of an accounting package that will allow this and if
> > so how would the transactions be "sent" to the accounting database
> > without resorting to an interface file.

> > Many thanks

> > Les

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 04:29:46 GMT
 Accounting Software Integration
NewViews is outstanding in many ways.  I've used it since it first came
out - still DOS though.  The new Windows version should be ready within
several months.

Louis Andrews  C5ee(b) ABC
Augusta, GA

Quote:
> Hi

> I am in need of some technical guidance from the Clarion mavens of the
> net....

> I have a clarion app that provides  order entry / invoicing / banking
> / AP processing from a small business. Periodically, transactions are
> placed in an interface file that are then loaded into the clients
> accounting system (NewViews).

> The client and I are both keen on eliminating the interface file and
> as well as moving to a more up to date accounting package.

> I know that one option is to develop a GL in clarion (possibly using
> Duke's templates). My preference is to find an off the shelf
> accounting package that could accept transaction data directly from
> the clarion application.

> Does anyone know of an accounting package that will allow this and if
> so how would the transactions be "sent" to the accounting database
> without resorting to an interface file.

> Many thanks

> Les

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 04:37:47 GMT
 Accounting Software Integration
Mike

Thanks for the post. I will check out QB and see if it will do what I
want.

You are quite right when you say that I want to write directly to the
accounting software database. I prefer integration over interfaces
every time.

Cheers

Les

> [...]

>fit=20
>anyway.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Some programs such as Mas90 severly =
>limit the=20
>access to their data fields unless you use their import =
>modules.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Michael J. McCormick, CPA</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A =
>href=3D"http://www.sleeter.com">Sleeter Group=20
></A>Certified Quickbooks Consultant</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Ron Schofield" &lt;</FONT><A=20

>size=3D2>&gt; wrote in=20
>message </FONT><A href=3D" >face=3DArial=20
>size=3D2> >face=3DArial=20
>size=3D2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; Les,<BR>&gt; =
><BR>&gt; &nbsp;=20
>I have worked with Quickbook, AccPac and now Navision. All of which =
>can<BR>&gt;=20
>accept files in a specified format that are created from my =
>Clarion<BR>&gt;=20
>program and then imported to the accounting package. Check out the=20
>keyword<BR>&gt; "import" in the documentation.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Les =
>Kearney=20

>of some=20
>technical guidance from the Clarion mavens of the<BR>&gt; &gt; =
>net....<BR>&gt;=20
>&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; I have a clarion app that provides&nbsp; order entry / =

>invoicing / banking<BR>&gt; &gt; / AP processing from a small business.=20
>Periodically, transactions are<BR>&gt; &gt; placed in an interface file =
>that are=20
>then loaded into the clients<BR>&gt; &gt; accounting system =
>(NewViews).<BR>&gt;=20
>&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; The client and I are both keen on eliminating the =
>interface=20
>file and<BR>&gt; &gt; as well as moving to a more up to date accounting=20
>package.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; I know that one option is to develop =
>a GL in=20
>clarion (possibly using<BR>&gt; &gt; Duke's templates). My preference is =
>to find=20
>an off the shelf<BR>&gt; &gt; accounting package that could accept =
>transaction=20
>data directly from<BR>&gt; &gt; the clarion application.<BR>&gt; =
>&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
>&gt; Does anyone know of an accounting package that will allow this and=20
>if<BR>&gt; &gt; so how would the transactions be "sent" to the =
>accounting=20
>database<BR>&gt; &gt; without resorting to an interface file.<BR>&gt;=20
>&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Many thanks<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Les<BR>&gt;=20

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 05:35:40 GMT
 Accounting Software Integration
I have written a Clarion GL and Creditors suite as part of my manufacturing
system.

It uses .tps files and also interfaces with purchasing to allow cash flow
forcasting and estimating.

Are you desperate to use a 'name' package?  If not maybe mine  would suit
you.

Doug Pearce

Quote:
> Hi

> I am in need of some technical guidance from the Clarion mavens of the
> net....

> I have a clarion app that provides  order entry / invoicing / banking
> / AP processing from a small business. Periodically, transactions are
> placed in an interface file that are then loaded into the clients
> accounting system (NewViews).

> The client and I are both keen on eliminating the interface file and
> as well as moving to a more up to date accounting package.

> I know that one option is to develop a GL in clarion (possibly using
> Duke's templates). My preference is to find an off the shelf
> accounting package that could accept transaction data directly from
> the clarion application.

> Does anyone know of an accounting package that will allow this and if
> so how would the transactions be "sent" to the accounting database
> without resorting to an interface file.

> Many thanks

> Les

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:09:14 GMT
 Accounting Software Integration

Mike,

If you ever need cutomer integration with MAS90, talk to me.  I've been working with it for 20 years.
I can write custom apps that run within MAS90 if needed.
btw, there is also an ODBC RW interface available now...

Paul

  Sounds like you want to write directly to the accounting programs DB.  I am familiar with QB and Mas90.  There are some tools for QB that may allow you to develop an app to write directly to it.  Otherwise you can always write to an iif file and them import the information.  Look on the QB sites for thier SDK and you may find something worthwile.  Quickbooks may not be the right fit anyway.

  Some programs such as Mas90 severly limit the access to their data fields unless you use their import modules.

  Michael J. McCormick, CPA
  Sleeter Group Certified Quickbooks Consultant

  > Les,
  >
  >   I have worked with Quickbook, AccPac and now Navision. All of which can
  > accept files in a specified format that are created from my Clarion
  > program and then imported to the accounting package. Check out the keyword
  > "import" in the documentation.
  >

  > > Hi
  > >
  > > I am in need of some technical guidance from the Clarion mavens of the
  > > net....
  > >
  > > I have a clarion app that provides  order entry / invoicing / banking
  > > / AP processing from a small business. Periodically, transactions are
  > > placed in an interface file that are then loaded into the clients
  > > accounting system (NewViews).
  > >
  > > The client and I are both keen on eliminating the interface file and
  > > as well as moving to a more up to date accounting package.
  > >
  > > I know that one option is to develop a GL in clarion (possibly using
  > > Duke's templates). My preference is to find an off the shelf
  > > accounting package that could accept transaction data directly from
  > > the clarion application.
  > >
  > > Does anyone know of an accounting package that will allow this and if
  > > so how would the transactions be "sent" to the accounting database
  > > without resorting to an interface file.
  > >
  > > Many thanks
  > >
  > > Les

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 05:42:33 GMT
 Accounting Software Integration
Les,

Unless you know the inner workings of the accounting oackage, you do NOT
want to be posting data directly.
I have a service management package written in Clarion (Uptrends).  We are
using Sage BusinessWorls, for which I have written a set of procedures to
transfer the data to the Accounting package.  This is done by creating data
files and control files, which are then processed by a utility written by
Sage, which in turn pot to the accounting package based on their business
rules.
This, IMHO, is the only SAFE way to go.

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 05:52:57 GMT
 Accounting Software Integration
We are working as we speak on our QuickBooksFUSE product which will sell for
$199USD from the thinkdata.com site and will be a wrapper around the QFC SDK
for Quickbooks 2002 and higher.  Look for that in the coming weeks

Steve

Quote:
> Les,

> QuickBooks has a COM/XML interface that does not require manual
> import/export by the user.

> I believe there are others, like Accpac, that have similar interfaces.

> IMO, a small developer writing yet another accounting system from
> scratch for a single client is kinda crazy unless the client is paying
> you hourly to do so :)

> ---
> Mark Riffey
> Granite Bear Development
> http://www.granitebear.com

> Software for professional photography
> studios, cultured marble / cast polymer /
> solid surface manufacturers and non-profit
> organizations

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 06:27:57 GMT
 Accounting Software Integration
Hi Mark,

Quote:
> IMO, a small developer writing yet another accounting system from
> scratch for a single client is kinda crazy unless the client is paying
> you hourly to do so :)

I agree with you 100%.

Here are some words of wisdom that were passed to me YEARS ago - and still
ring true:

You as a developer might be capable of writing the most concise and
wonderful accounting package ever written.  However when you customer gets
all e{*filter*}d about this and goes to HIS accountant to get an opinion, the
accountant will ALWAYS come back with a statement of concern about the
quality of the program and the programmers knowledge of accounting
processes.

But ...

If you present the customer (and HIS accountant) with your Special Wonderful
Vertical Market Application that INTERFACES with some KNOWN standard of
accounting (i.e. QuickBooks, MAS90 or whatever as long as it has been around
for a long time and is well accepted), then they only have to make a
decision as to how well written YOUR program is - or what your knowledge is
concerning the programs area of concern.

I've used this approach for years and it has served me well.  Not only have
I NOT had to deal with all the internals of creating a full double entry
accounting system, but I've never had to DEFEND it either.  This has allowed
me to concentrate on my portion of the program (which is usually more
important to the customer anyway on a day-to-day basis).  I may not make as
much off this method as I would for a full blown integrated system, but it
allows me to concentrate on SELLING my package instead of TEACHING
accounting 101 to people who may not know it.

JMHO,

Charles Edmonds

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 06:40:01 GMT
 Accounting Software Integration

Quote:

> Not only have
> I NOT had to deal with all the internals of creating a full double entry
> accounting system, but I've never had to DEFEND it either.

Bingo-rama.

Here's a blurb from our help file and manual regarding QB:

Why is there a QuickBooks interface?

That's a good question. There are a number of reasons.

QuickBooks is "the standard" among most businesses, large and small. One
of our clients who photographs 70,000 seniors a year still uses it (in
conjunction with a CPA of course).

QuickBooks is second nature to most of the accountants in the U.S.,
Canada, and Australia. Accountants don't want to learn custom accounting
software just because you use it. Nor do you want to pay the bill for
their time spent trying to "fit the QuickBooks shoe on a custom accounting
software's foot".

QuickBooks "talks" to Turbo Tax, Tax Cut and the other major tax software
programs, saving you time when doing your taxes (or preparing your
information for your CPA).

QuickBooks "talks" to the major credit card merchant providers, so you can
download your credit card statement and balance it in no time.

QuickBooks "talks" to many major banks, so you can balance your checkbook
in no time, simply by downloading your statement.

QuickBooks "talks" to major electronic bill paying services. More time
savings.

QuickBooks has a number of people who do nothing but keep up with payroll
tax changes for 50 states and many cities that have their own income
taxes. This is something we simply don't have the resources to do. They
can justify it because they have over 30 million customers.

Bottom line, QuickBooks makes sense for you, your accountant, and your
time. QuickBooks is not a studio management program by any stretch of the
imagination, but it is recognized as a good accounting program.

---
Mark Riffey
Granite Bear Development
http://www.granitebear.com

Software for professional photography
studios, cultured marble / cast polymer /
solid surface manufacturers and non-profit
organizations

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 01:02:19 GMT
 Accounting Software Integration

Quote:
> Bottom line, QuickBooks makes sense for you, your accountant, and your
> time. QuickBooks is not a studio management program by any stretch of the
> imagination, but it is recognized as a good accounting program.

My point exactly!

Leave the "accounting blues" to those who get paid to do it!

It is far more interesting (and profitable) to program the "good stuff" and
a lot more fun too!

Charles

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:05:02 GMT
 Accounting Software Integration

Quote:

> It is far more interesting (and profitable) to program the "good stuff" and
> a lot more fun too!

More profitable for intuit too:) The numbers they tossed out at last year's
developer conference made me really wonder about jumping into the QB 3rd
party market.

---
Mark Riffey
Granite Bear Development
http://www.granitebear.com

Software for professional photography
studios, cultured marble / cast polymer /
solid surface manufacturers and non-profit
organizations

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 05:22:21 GMT
 Accounting Software Integration

Hi Les,

Doing "real time" integration with an "off the shelf" accounting package is relatively simple IF you know how the chart of accounts is set up and is usually done with some kind of SDK provided by the off the shelf accounting software Developers.  And for "posting transactions" like you want to do, several files need to be written to during any one transaction.  But then maybe you know that already.  <G>

Now to get to the "Accounting Software" itself.

Conceptually, "General Business Accounting" software is really fairly simple software.  Knowing HOW to use it is USUALLY the "hardest part" of the whole deal.

IOW, the "primary formula" that the business' software itself needs to use is P=I-E or Profit = Income - Expense.  But that's just the "Bookkeeping" part of managing the financial part of a business and not really the "Accounting" part.  But those two parts DO "work together" a lot.  <G>

What goes into the I and E parts of the formula and how the I and E portions are "entered", "reported/tracked" AND "managed" by the USER/OWNER of the application is where the "difficult" part of doing the "Accounting" comes into play.  IOW, doing the Bookkeeping part.

The system needs to "Account For" everything that happened to the business during any one "Period".  Those periods are usually, monthly, quarterly and yearly.

IOW, tax liabilities, payables, receivables, expenses and income must be tracked and reported on at certain times and in various ways depending on the type of income while also taking into consideration all of the various tax laws the business is "subject to".  The IRS and it's rules and regulations very succinctly TELL YOU how the tax liability and investment portions of the business will  financially function AND be reported on.  Therefore, the need for "Accounting" software.

The above is primarily tracked and reported on (e.g. accounted for) by using the "chart of accounts" along with proper functionality coded into the application.  The application is designed to USE that chart of accounts to perform those "Bookkeeping" functions according to the following table.
 From/To
     Asset
     Liability
     Equity
     Income
     Expense

      Asset
     +
     -
     -
     +
     -

      Liability
     -
     +
     +
     -
     -

      Equity
     +
     -
     +
     +
     -

      Income
     +
     -
     +
     +
     -

      Expense
     -
     -
     -
     -
     +

Basically what the above table shows is whether an addition or subtraction takes place when a particular pair of account types are used together in the automatic real time accounting process built into the application OR while the operator is making ledger entries.

For instance:

An Asset gets added to an Asset

An Asset gets subtracted from a Liability

An Asset gets subtracted from Equity

An Asset gets added to Income

An Asset gets subtracted from an Expense

Etc..

Therefore, and as you can see, the Chart Of Accounts MUST be set up correctly for the application's overall processes to function correctly. A "generic" Chart of Accounts is usually supplied with most accounting systems which can then be modified to fit a unique business scenario.

As mentioned before, the really hard part is setting up the various accounts into their PROPER "accounting categories" as shown above so as the business will be ABLE to keep track of and report on the business' tax income, tax liability, cash on hand, debts, bills owed, outstanding money owed them, and other "bookkeeping and accounting needs".

IOW, the setup must be done by someone (an Accountant) that understands the business' needs along with the rules and regulations and how to set up the accounts to PROPERLY keep track of the business' "financial picture" and THEN report on it.

And the "user" (Bookkeeper or Accountant) while making entries into the application must know how much goes into which account and out of which account while "following the tax regulations" and the "financial needs" of the business.

There are also OTHER KINDS of Accounting Software for other business needs and of course the software and it's chart of accounts must be set up and possibly coded differently to be able to use them in those kinds applications so as to function diffefrently to meet those other business needs.  A good example is one called "Fund Accounting" and there are several others.

--
---- (;-)}
Regards,

www.kwiksystems.com

Quote:

> Hi

> I am in need of some technical guidance from the Clarion mavens of the
> net....

> I have a clarion app that provides  order entry / invoicing / banking
> / AP processing from a small business. Periodically, transactions are
> placed in an interface file that are then loaded into the clients
> accounting system (NewViews).

> The client and I are both keen on eliminating the interface file and
> as well as moving to a more up to date accounting package.

> I know that one option is to develop a GL in clarion (possibly using
> Duke's templates). My preference is to find an off the shelf
> accounting package that could accept transaction data directly from
> the clarion application.

> Does anyone know of an accounting package that will allow this and if
> so how would the transactions be "sent" to the accounting database
> without resorting to an interface file.

> Many thanks

> Les

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:01:03 GMT

 [ 23 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. CLIPPER AND ACCOUNTING INTEGRATION URGENT!!!!!!!!!

2. Accounting Software

3. accounting software

4. Accounting Software

5. Accounting Software

6. accounting software source code

7. Great Plains Accounting Software and COM Component Object Modeling

8. Comcode / Soft-It Accounting Software

9. SBT accounting software

10. Clarion and Abacus accounting software

11. Clarion/SQL based accounting software.

12. Accounting software / shells