Report template limitations - detail bands
Author Message
 Report template limitations - detail bands

After spending nine days to try and solve a seamingly impossible
barrier with the standard report templates, I can only conclude that
this is a limitation most other programmers also had to face. I then
did some research with various forums and news-groups and discovered
that in order to achieve my goal, I basically have only two options:

1) work around the problem by hand (which I tried),
2) buy something like CPCS Report Templates

Having completed 9/10ths of the project with one report to go, and time
is running out, I am seriously considering using something else apart
from Clarion. What, I don't know yet?

My question to any experienced users who have mastered, and been able
to successfully work around the standard report templates, is the
following:

Will hand coding (once I know how) enable me to place two seperate
detail bands (each with their own totals) on the same page? Will I be
able to position the two seperate detail bands at different areas of
the report? The two seperate detail bands can be made to print
identical information? All this on one page?

If anyone says yes, I shall spend more time learning how this can be
achieved. Any advice much appreciated.

Using C5PE (ABC)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Thu, 24 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Report template limitations - detail bands

Hi Howell,

You can do what you want, but it may require some hand code.

First I should state that I have used CPCS for some years and therefore
I hope that what I say does actually apply to standard templates. So if
it does not I apologise.

You do not state whether the information you need to print twice is rows
of data or just a single record, so I may only be able to point you in a
direction to follow.

Firstly you can make both deatils bands non printing in the report
properties window. You can then print the reports PRINT(RPT:Detail) when
you wish.

You can also print detail bands from various predetermined positions,
but again this is subject to what you actually want to print(rows or a
record)

This perhaps is the stating point, and with more detail I could help you
a bit further perhaps.

Regards

Tony York

Quote:

> After spending nine days to try and solve a seamingly impossible
> barrier with the standard report templates, I can only conclude that
> this is a limitation most other programmers also had to face. I then
> did some research with various forums and news-groups and discovered
> that in order to achieve my goal, I basically have only two options:

> 1) work around the problem by hand (which I tried),
> 2) buy something like CPCS Report Templates

> Having completed 9/10ths of the project with one report to go, and time
> is running out, I am seriously considering using something else apart
> from Clarion. What, I don't know yet?

> My question to any experienced users who have mastered, and been able
> to successfully work around the standard report templates, is the
> following:

> Will hand coding (once I know how) enable me to place two seperate
> detail bands (each with their own totals) on the same page? Will I be
> able to position the two seperate detail bands at different areas of
> the report? The two seperate detail bands can be made to print
> identical information? All this on one page?

> If anyone says yes, I shall spend more time learning how this can be
> achieved. Any advice much appreciated.

> Using C5PE (ABC)

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Fri, 25 Apr 2003 06:48:50 GMT
 Report template limitations - detail bands

Quote:
> After spending nine days to try and solve a seamingly impossible
> barrier with the standard report templates, I can only conclude that
> this is a limitation most other programmers also had to face. I then
> did some research with various forums and news-groups and discovered
> that in order to achieve my goal, I basically have only two options:

> 1) work around the problem by hand (which I tried),
> 2) buy something like CPCS Report Templates

> Having completed 9/10ths of the project with one report to go, and
time
> is running out, I am seriously considering using something else apart
> from Clarion. What, I don't know yet?

> My question to any experienced users who have mastered, and been able
> to successfully work around the standard report templates, is the
> following:

> Will hand coding (once I know how) enable me to place two seperate
> detail bands (each with their own totals) on the same page? Will I be
> able to position the two seperate detail bands at different areas of
> the report? The two seperate detail bands can be made to print
> identical information? All this on one page?

> If anyone says yes, I shall spend more time learning how this can be
> achieved. Any advice much appreciated.

> Using C5PE (ABC)

This is not really what you want to hear, but ever since buying a copy
of CPCS to do that "one" report I couldn't figure out how to do
otherwise, I have been happily making dozens of even more complicated
reports using it, and then discovered that it had even more features I
could use.  If I added up all the time I've saved with the add-ons I
use (CPCS, FM2, CopyFlash, UltraTree) I could have payed for them five
times over.  Think about what your time is worth.  9 days? Hmmmm...
Best,
Dave Sperling

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:51:05 GMT
 Report template limitations - detail bands
Hi Howell

There are two secrets that make using the report formatter relatively easy.

1. When you want control over your details, make sure that they have a use
name : this usually looks like ?detail1, but you can rename them more
suitably if you wish e.g. ?myowndetail. Then go to the filter tab and mark
the filter for each detail as 'false' (without the quotes) and this will
ensure that the relevant detail is *never* printed by the template. Before
you mark the detail as false, it is a good idea to have a look at the source
code and find where print(rpt:detail) is, and in the nearest embed point
type print(rpt:detail) - this ensures that you know where the printing is
controlled.  At this embed point you can basically do anything you want. If
you have several  detail bands, all marked as false you can put your logic
in here to print or not print them, once, twice, in whatever sequence you
wish.
e.g. IF <mycondition>
        Print(Rpt:detail1)
      ELSIF <myspecialcondition>
        Print(Rpt:detail1)
        Print(Rpt:detail3)
     ELSIF <myothercondition>
       Print(Rpt:detail4)
       Print(Rpt:detail1)
    ELSE
      Print(Rpt:detail2)
      Print(Rpt:detail2) ! twice
      Print(Rpt:detail2) ! a third time for luck...
   END

2. When using the Report Formatter, make a point of selecting VIEW from the
menu and selecting 'Page Layout View' - in fact, make this a HABIT. What
this shows you are the *areas* where things are printed. It shows you the
header, and the whole area for details (*all details*) followed by the
footer area. if there is an overlap then you will end up with text printed
over other text. This is the right place to adjust these areas, widen the
report etc.

Once you get used to these things you can do some very smart stuff with the
report formatter.

BTW I see you are .iafrica.com. If you are anywhere near
Durban/Pietermaritzburg areas you might want to attend our user meetings.
Otherwise, contact Topspeed (still the old name <g>) in Cape Town to find a
user group in your area - I know there is one in Cape Town and in Jo'burg,
and I am pretty sure there are others.

--
best wishes

Eric Churton
The Simsoft Templates for plug-in on-screen keyboards and keypads
http://www.vertigo.co.za/simplesoft/

Quote:
> After spending nine days to try and solve a seamingly impossible
> barrier with the standard report templates, I can only conclude that
> this is a limitation most other programmers also had to face. I then
> did some research with various forums and news-groups and discovered
> that in order to achieve my goal, I basically have only two options:

> 1) work around the problem by hand (which I tried),
> 2) buy something like CPCS Report Templates

> Having completed 9/10ths of the project with one report to go, and time
> is running out, I am seriously considering using something else apart
> from Clarion. What, I don't know yet?

> My question to any experienced users who have mastered, and been able
> to successfully work around the standard report templates, is the
> following:

> Will hand coding (once I know how) enable me to place two seperate
> detail bands (each with their own totals) on the same page? Will I be
> able to position the two seperate detail bands at different areas of
> the report? The two seperate detail bands can be made to print
> identical information? All this on one page?

> If anyone says yes, I shall spend more time learning how this can be
> achieved. Any advice much appreciated.

> Using C5PE (ABC)

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:05:58 GMT
 Report template limitations - detail bands
Howell,

This has been discussed several times the last 3 months.
I would suggest that you start looking around on this NG.
Several answers with several source code.

--
Didier
http://www.francened.com/clarion.htm

Fri, 25 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Report template limitations - detail bands
Didier, thank you. I have searched the NG with no real answer to my
particular problem.

Dave, thank you. CPCS is still a consideration. Glad it worked for you.

Eric, thank you for detailed response. I used to attend user meetings
way back when I did CPD2.1 work. Might have to do it again.

Tony, thank you. The information in the detail bands are from one
single Child file ITEM with relationship MANY:1 of Parent file INVOICE.

The report is printed from Parent file INVOICE with relationship 1:MANY
of Child file ITEM (which can consist of many single records).

To explain further, the basic structure of Page Layout View is:

Page Header
Detail(detail)
Page Footer

and I can apply successfully:

Page Header - INVOICE info
Detail(detail) - ITEM info (1 to 5)
Page Footer - INVOICE info plus Totals of records listed from ITEM in
above band

I have, however, the need to achieve the following:

Page Header - INVOICE info
Detail(detail) - ITEM info (1 to 5)
Some Band - Totals of records listed from ITEM in above band detail
Some Band - Fixed string fields with info not related to INVOICE or ITEM
Detail(detail1) - ITEM info (1 to 5) (repeat as with detail above)
Page Footer - INVOICE info plus Totals of records listed from ITEM in
above band detail1

Hope this makes sense.

Regards,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 25 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Blank lines in Report (Detail Band)

2. Report with 2 Detail bands

3. Report-Detail Band

4. Report - Detail Band

5. Report Writer and Multiple Detail Bands

6. Detail band vs Form band

7. multiple detail band in report writer

8. Reporting - Lost Headers and Detail bands

9. Enabling detail band of report

10. Multiple detail bands in report question

11. Report Writer 2: Problem with Multiple Detail Bands

12. resize detail band in report