how do I get a multicolumn drop box selection to show in the combo inputbox
Author Message
 how do I get a multicolumn drop box selection to show in the combo inputbox

I am a newbee so please be gentle..
I am building a program where you select a player and player number from a
drop list.. but when it is selected and the drop list dissapears I am left
with only the player number in the input box

How do you tell it to display both the name and number

S.S

Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:03:18 GMT
 how do I get a multicolumn drop box selection to show in the combo inputbox

Hi,
Never heard that it is possible two display two informations in the
input box of a combo.
But you can place a string near the droplist and display the
playername. If there is a relation 1:1 be{*filter*} number and name this
should be no problem.
So place the string, in the properties of the string
choose 'playername' as USE- Variable.
This should do. (if not take care that the variable 'playername' is
filled propperly in the accept- embed of your droplist. Note that you
have to write the prefix of your file to, Fil:playername, Fil: Prefix
of your file)

HTH

Ralf

Quote:
> I am a newbee so please be gentle..
> I am building a program where you select a player and player number
from a
> drop list.. but when it is selected and the drop list dissapears I am
left
> with only the player number in the input box

> How do you tell it to display both the name and number

> S.S

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:59:47 GMT
 how do I get a multicolumn drop box selection to show in the combo inputbox
On Thu, 1 Feb 2001 00:03:18 -0500, "S. Johnston"

Quote:

>I am a newbee so please be gentle..
>I am building a program where you select a player and player number from a
>drop list.. but when it is selected and the drop list dissapears I am left
>with only the player number in the input box

>How do you tell it to display both the name and number

>S.S

Aha! I've experienced this too, to my annoyance. What I do is create a
local variable, fill it with data from the fields in the queue, & make
the local variable the USE variable for the drop box.

Here's how:

1. In the procedure properties, data, create a local variable (eg
LOC:FullName)

2. On the window formatter, right-click the drop box & select "embeds"

3. Find the "SetQueueRecord" embed point; click on "CODE" & press the
insert button. Select "Source"

4. Build up your variable - eg LOC:FullName = CLIP(CUS:NameLast) &
CLIP(CUS:NameFirst) (You'll probably want to use the "FORMAT"
statement for your player code)

5. Save it.

6. In the properties of the drop, choose your local variable as the
"USE" variable

That's it.

N.

Nick Pattinson
Aardvark Consultants Ltd.
Stockport, UK

Get AardWare on your hardware...

Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:54:16 GMT
 how do I get a multicolumn drop box selection to show in the combo inputbox
This probably isn't the best way, I don't do too much database code, but
you could prime the number field of the table and do a get() to get the
correct record, then you could grab any values out of the record you like...
(lets assume the table is called Player)

PLA:PlayerNum = The Number they picked  !could also say                                                         !player.PlayerNumber)
get(Player, NumberKey)                  ! get the relevant record
! can check for an error, but you shouldn't have an incorrect number
! if errorcode()
!
message('Error: '&Error())
!
do whatever handling you want to do
! end
you now have the player you want, and you can get the name and any other
details in the record.

cheers,
Sean

Quote:

> I am a newbee so please be gentle..
> I am building a program where you select a player and player number from a
> drop list.. but when it is selected and the drop list dissapears I am left
> with only the player number in the input box

> How do you tell it to display both the name and number

> S.S

Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:27:36 GMT
 how do I get a multicolumn drop box selection to show in the combo inputbox
had the same problem: Populated a drop combo with 2 fields, and only the
contents of the first field is saved in the use var.
But then, the first field is only 10 characters long, and the total line is
50 chars long. Only the first 10 were displayed.
So I made my use var 50 characters long, and displayed the first field in
the list box formatter to 10 and the second to 40.
Now at the accepted embed, I retrieved the record and attached the name to
the code (Second field to first field).

LOC:MyUseVar = CLIP(FirstField) & ', '&CLIP(SecondField)
This way, the user sees what he/she selected.

But when I needed the first field (Primary key field) to look up something,
I cut it from the string:

a# = Instring(',',LOC:MyUseVar,1,1) ! Search for ','
NeededPiece = SUB(LOC:MyUseVar, 1, a# - 1) ! take left piece

No nice code, but it worked.

--
Ronald van Raaphorst
Compad

Site: www.Compad.nl

Quote:
> This probably isn't the best way, I don't do too much database code, but
> you could prime the number field of the table and do a get() to get the
> correct record, then you could grab any values out of the record you
like...
> (lets assume the table is called Player)

> PLA:PlayerNum = The Number they picked  !could also say

!player.PlayerNumber)
Quote:
> get(Player, NumberKey) ! get the relevant record
> ! can check for an error, but you shouldn't have an incorrect number
> ! if errorcode()
> !
> message('Error: '&Error())
> !
> do whatever handling you want to do
> ! end
> you now have the player you want, and you can get the name and any other
> details in the record.

> cheers,
> Sean

> > I am a newbee so please be gentle..
> > I am building a program where you select a player and player number from
> > drop list.. but when it is selected and the drop list dissapears I am
left
> > with only the player number in the input box

> > How do you tell it to display both the name and number

> > S.S

Sun, 03 Aug 2003 04:37:58 GMT

1. Getting all record info for Combo box selection

2. Drop combo related to another drop combo

3. Drop Combo dependent on another drop combo

4. Show Related Files In A Drop Down Combo (C5EEB)

5. Drop Down Combo Box Issue?

6. Remove duplicates entries not working on file drop combo box

7. Select from File Drop Combo Box ?

8. How to refresh filter in drop down combo box

9. Drop Down Combo boxes cause crashes

10. Drop Down Combo Box Removing Duplicate Entries

11. Inserting new value from file drop-down combo box

12. Help on Drop Combo Boxes....