C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file
Author Message
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file

Hi all

Hopefully somebody can help me with this strange problem:

I gave a Full Path Name (using variables like !PathVar)
to all of my files, but only one causes the entire system (Win95)
to crash when calling the appropriate browse procedure (app gen).
PathVar is correctly set (a false setting should not cause a system
crash anyway). When I leave out the Full Path Name every
thing works fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Rak

Sun, 03 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file
To short CString vars?

JAT

Jo

Quote:

> Hi all

> Hopefully somebody can help me with this strange problem:

> I gave a Full Path Name (using variables like !PathVar)
> to all of my files, but only one causes the entire system (Win95)
> to crash when calling the appropriate browse procedure (app gen).
> PathVar is correctly set (a false setting should not cause a system
> crash anyway). When I leave out the Full Path Name every
> thing works fine.

> Any ideas?

> Thanks
> Rak

Sun, 03 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file

schreibt:

Quote:
>To short CString vars?

Unfortunately not. The path is complete and correct...
Additionally, that god damned thing crashes even when
I give the path directly without a variable. It crashes
whenever a path is specified, no matter in which way.
This is what the app gen creates:

Contact
FILE,DRIVER('TOPSPEED'),RECLAIM,NAME('c:\con.tps'),PRE(CON),CREATE,BINDABL
E,THREAD
KeyID                    KEY(CON:ID),NOCASE,OPT,PRIMARY
KeyBranchID              KEY(CON:BranchID),DUP,NOCASE,OPT
KeyType                  KEY(CON:Type),DUP,NOCASE,OPT
Note                        MEMO(1000)
Record                   RECORD,PRE()
ID                          LONG
BranchID                    LONG
Type                        DECIMAL(1)
FirstName                   CSTRING(31)
LastName                    CSTRING(101)
InternalAddress             CSTRING(51)
Capacity                    CSTRING(51)
Phone                       CSTRING(31)
Fax                         CSTRING(31)
Telex                       CSTRING(51)
PAAddress                   CSTRING(31)
Address                     CSTRING(51)
END

This is absolutely correct! I don't know what else I can do!

Quote:
>> I gave a Full Path Name (using variables like !PathVar)
>> to all of my files, but only one causes the entire system (Win95)
>> to crash when calling the appropriate browse procedure (app gen).
>> PathVar is correctly set (a false setting should not cause a system
>> crash anyway). When I leave out the Full Path Name every
>> thing works fine.

Mon, 04 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file

Quote:

>Unfortunately not. The path is complete and correct...
>Additionally, that god damned thing crashes even when
>I give the path directly without a variable. It crashes
>whenever a path is specified, no matter in which way.
>This is what the app gen creates:

>Contact
>FILE,DRIVER('TOPSPEED'),RECLAIM,NAME('c:\con.tps'),PRE(CON),CREATE,BINDABL

You filename, con, is the problem. It's an illegal filename; the OS won't
permit it.

Regards,

Mark
----------------------------
sig under construction

Full-time Certified Master Hobbyist

The clueless shall inherit the earth,
and will need directions to get there.

Mon, 04 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file
Hi Rakloedder!

Quote:
> This is what the app gen creates:

Three suggestions:

1.  Don't use CON as the filename. (Win95 might balk.) Try
    "c:\Contact.tps" instead.

2.  "Type" is a reserved word. Try something else, like "RecType".

3.  "Address" is an internal function name. Try something else, like
    "RecAddress".

-- Craig (The Data Ferret)
Using Virtual Access 4.02 build 244 (32-bit) in Win95
Clarion Professional Developer 2.1 / Clarion for DOS 3.x
Clarion for Windows 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 / C4b / C5 Enterprise
Btrieve / Scalable SQL / Pervasive.SQL / SQL Anywhere 5.5
"Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS...."

Mon, 04 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file
Craig, TYPE and ADDRESS are reserved, but CON:TYPE and CON:ADDRESS are
not. I've used both in file defs before, and unless TopSpeeds done
something wierd in CW5, they should still be fine.
Quote:

> Hi Rakloedder!

> > This is what the app gen creates:

> Three suggestions:

> 1.  Don't use CON as the filename. (Win95 might balk.) Try
>     "c:\Contact.tps" instead.

> 2.  "Type" is a reserved word. Try something else, like "RecType".

> 3.  "Address" is an internal function name. Try something else, like
>     "RecAddress".

> -- Craig (The Data Ferret)
> Using Virtual Access 4.02 build 244 (32-bit) in Win95
> Clarion Professional Developer 2.1 / Clarion for DOS 3.x
> Clarion for Windows 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 / C4b / C5 Enterprise
> Btrieve / Scalable SQL / Pervasive.SQL / SQL Anywhere 5.5
> "Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS...."

Mon, 04 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file
Quote:
>>You filename, con, is the problem. It's an illegal filename; the OS won't

permit it.

CON is only the prefix - not the filename. I have used CON: as a file prefix
since CW1.0

HTH,

Mike
--
*** BackFlash data backup module for Clarion apps ***
*** IMPEX import/export templates ***

Mon, 04 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file

Quote:

>CON is only the prefix - not the filename. I have used CON: as a file prefix
>since CW1.0

Mike,

From the origional post:

FILE,DRIVER('TOPSPEED'),RECLAIM,NAME('c:\con.tps'),PRE(CON)

Regards,

Mark
----------------------------
sig under construction

Full-time Certified Master Hobbyist

The clueless shall inherit the earth,
and will need directions to get there.

Mon, 04 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file
Hi Rak,

Quote:
>crash anyway). When I leave out the Full Path Name every
>thing works fine.

Can you create a dct with this file only and send it to me?  I can't
see anything wrong in the file declaration you sent.

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
[Team Topspeed - Internet Connect]
Allerup Edb
Denmark

http://www.icetips.com  (http://199.34.26.68)
UIN nr.: 2428601

Mon, 04 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file
The following is opinion only.

If trouble follows you, eliminate any possibility until things work,
then add them back to see what gives you trouble.  In this vein:

CON might be interpreted as a call to the standard output stream on
writes and standard input stream on reads.  Perhaps not on Windows NT,
but on the Win platforms with DOS underpinnings this is asking for
trouble.

I would similarly avoid AUX, NUL, etc.

HTH,

-Rob

Quote:

>Craig, TYPE and ADDRESS are reserved, but CON:TYPE and CON:ADDRESS are
>not. I've used both in file defs before, and unless TopSpeeds done
>something wierd in CW5, they should still be fine.

>> Hi Rakloedder!

>> > This is what the app gen creates:

>> Three suggestions:

>> 1.  Don't use CON as the filename. (Win95 might balk.) Try
>>     "c:\Contact.tps" instead.

>> 2.  "Type" is a reserved word. Try something else, like "RecType".

>> 3.  "Address" is an internal function name. Try something else, like
>>     "RecAddress".

>> -- Craig (The Data Ferret)
>> Using Virtual Access 4.02 build 244 (32-bit) in Win95
>> Clarion Professional Developer 2.1 / Clarion for DOS 3.x
>> Clarion for Windows 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 / C4b / C5 Enterprise
>> Btrieve / Scalable SQL / Pervasive.SQL / SQL Anywhere 5.5
>> "Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS...."

---------------------------------------

VP Technology and Development
TS Resources, Inc.  www.tsres.com
215.969.1766 direct/VMS 862.5915 general 862.3370 fax
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Tue, 05 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file

Quote:

>CON might be interpreted as a call to the standard output stream on
>writes and standard input stream on reads.  Perhaps not on Windows NT,
>but on the Win platforms with DOS underpinnings this is asking for
>trouble.

>I would similarly avoid AUX, NUL, etc.

Rob,

FWIW, NT is no different. Con is an illegal file name.

Regards,

Mark
----------------------------
sig under construction

Full-time Certified Master Hobbyist

The clueless shall inherit the earth,
and will need directions to get there.

Tue, 05 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file

Quote:
>Three suggestions:

>1.  Don't use CON as the filename. (Win95 might balk.) Try
>    "c:\Contact.tps" instead.

Tried that. System crashes. Anyway, if you were right you
wouln't be able to create a file named con.* in any application,
not even Notepad. And, the filename is not "CON:", which is
indeed a internal DOS device, but "con.tps". Furthermore,
your conclusion would induce that the compiler confuses a
language feature with a call to an internal DOS device which
are two things being as different as can be.

Quote:
>2.  "Type" is a reserved word. Try something else, like "RecType".

Tried that. No change.

Quote:
>3.  "Address" is an internal function name. Try something else, like
>    "RecAddress".

Tried that. No change.

:(

Thanks anyway,
Rak

Tue, 05 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 31 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3]

 Relevant Pages

1. DOS File Lookup - just the file name, not the path AND file name

2. Making file path control only select directory paths not file names

3. Full Path Name in Dictionary

4. Full Path Name in Dictionary

5. UNC name from mapped path - C5 ABC example available

6. Retreiving Directory Name not Filename C4 ABC

7. UNC path names in C4

8. Giving error bad window path name

9. System crashes / C4

10. system crashes /C4

11. C4 abc vs c5 abc

12. Alias TPS with different path/file name than original file