C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file
Author Message
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file

Quote:
>Rob,

>FWIW, NT is no different. Con is an illegal file name.

If you were right you
wouldn't be able to create a file named con.* in any application,
not even Notepad. And, the filename is not "CON:", which is
indeed a internal DOS device, but "con.tps". Furthermore,
your conclusion would induce that the compiler confuses a
language feature with a call to an internal DOS device which
are two things being as different as can be.

I used "con.tps" several times without any problem.

HTH
Rak

Tue, 05 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file

Quote:
>You filename, con, is the problem. It's an illegal filename; the OS won't
>permit it.

If you were right you
wouln't be able to create a file named con.* in any application,
not even Notepad. And, the filename is not "CON:", which is
indeed an internal DOS device, but "con.tps". Furthermore,
your conclusion would induce that the compiler confuses a
language feature with a call to an internal DOS device which
are two things being as different as can be.

Tue, 05 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file
Rakloedder,
I just did a test on my machine. Note pad will not create a file called
'C:CON.TPS'. The error it gave is:
'This filename is a reserved device name.'
'Use a different filename.'

When I tried copy con con.tps from the DOS prompt, it didn't save
anything. I think Mark is right about the 'CON.' part of the file name
being invalid.

Quote:

> >You filename, con, is the problem. It's an illegal filename; the OS
> >won't permit it.

> If you were right you
> wouln't be able to create a file named con.* in any application,
> not even Notepad. And, the filename is not "CON:", which is
> indeed an internal DOS device, but "con.tps". Furthermore,
> your conclusion would induce that the compiler confuses a
> language feature with a call to an internal DOS device which
> are two things being as different as can be.

Tue, 05 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file
Hi Rakloedder,

Quote:
>wouln't be able to create a file named con.* in any application,
>not even Notepad. And, the filename is not "CON:", which is
>indeed an internal DOS device, but "con.tps". Furthermore,
>your conclusion would induce that the compiler confuses a
>language feature with a call to an internal DOS device which
>are two things being as different as can be.

You should not be able to create files with the name of a dos device.
It has nothing to do with the compiler, it has to do with how the OS
handles files.  The dos devices are handled like files in terms of
redirection etc.  Therefor you can do:

Copy autoexec.bat con

and it types the autoexec.bat file on the screen.  Only the filename
is valid here, it completely ignores the filename extension:

Copy autoexec.bat con.txt

STILL types it to the screen.  So, this is not a problem with clarion,
but a problem with dos devices, so I suggest you take the problem up
with Bill<g>

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
[Team Topspeed - Internet Connect]
Allerup Edb
Denmark

http://www.icetips.com  (http://199.34.26.68)
UIN nr.: 2428601

Tue, 05 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file
Hi Rakloedder,

Quote:
>I give the path directly without a variable. It crashes
>whenever a path is specified, no matter in which way.
>This is what the app gen creates:

>Contact
>FILE,DRIVER('TOPSPEED'),RECLAIM,NAME('c:\con.tps'),PRE(CON),CREATE,BINDABL
>E,THREAD

I created a dct with a file as closely resembling the structure you
sent, using 'c:\con.tps' and CON as prefix.  I created a wizard app
from this one file and my Windows95 went completely nuts when I ran
the program!  I changed the filename to 'c:\contacts.tps' and it runs
fine.  Shorten it to 'c:\cont.tps' and it still runs fine.

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
[Team Topspeed - Internet Connect]
Allerup Edb
Denmark

http://www.icetips.com  (http://199.34.26.68)
UIN nr.: 2428601

Tue, 05 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file
With so much of Windows kernel code being archaic, names which used to
be reserved may no longer be officially listed as such, or flagged as
such, but may bite you when one of those rusty old subroutines gets
ahold of you.

Pitfalls... sometimes you can escape them, sometimes you cannot.  The
work we do is fraught with so many of them that I prefer to err on the
side of caution, if only to narrow the possiblities when debugging.

About ill-behaving commercial software, I often hear from clients: "It
was not supposed to work that way."

I'll answer: "True, but it does."  "Reality always supercedes the
manual."  "Here is the workaround."

As far as "con:" being reserved in your opinion and "con" not, try, at
a dos window: copy con xyz
type something, then hit control+z
you'll see 1 file copied.

Apparently DOS doesn't know CON is not reserved.  Perhaps you're
thinking of flavors of BASIC where the colon is required.

Since Arnor found that "CON" gave his Win95 fits, and "CONx" did not,
perhaps we can agree to disagree.

Best regards,

Rob

Quote:

>>Rob,

>>FWIW, NT is no different. Con is an illegal file name.

>If you were right you
>wouldn't be able to create a file named con.* in any application,
>not even Notepad. And, the filename is not "CON:", which is
>indeed a internal DOS device, but "con.tps". Furthermore,
>your conclusion would induce that the compiler confuses a
>language feature with a call to an internal DOS device which
>are two things being as different as can be.

>I used "con.tps" several times without any problem.

>HTH
>Rak

---------------------------------------

VP Technology and Development
TS Resources, Inc.  www.tsres.com
215.969.1766 direct/VMS 862.5915 general 862.3370 fax
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Tue, 05 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file
Oh, I forgot one other thing... reserved names like CON are only
reserved at certain top "layers" in the OS.  Go deeper than the
command interpreter or perhaps one level down and CON can work just
fine.  It's all a question of where your interface is connected,
layer-wise.

-Rob

Quote:

>>You filename, con, is the problem. It's an illegal filename; the OS won't
>>permit it.

>If you were right you
>wouln't be able to create a file named con.* in any application,
>not even Notepad. And, the filename is not "CON:", which is
>indeed an internal DOS device, but "con.tps". Furthermore,
>your conclusion would induce that the compiler confuses a
>language feature with a call to an internal DOS device which
>are two things being as different as can be.

---------------------------------------

VP Technology and Development
TS Resources, Inc.  www.tsres.com
215.969.1766 direct/VMS 862.5915 general 862.3370 fax
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Tue, 05 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file

Quote:
>I created a dct with a file as closely resembling the structure you
>sent, using 'c:\con.tps' and CON as prefix.  I created a wizard app
>from this one file and my Windows95 went completely nuts when I ran
>the program!  I changed the filename to 'c:\contacts.tps' and it runs
>fine.  Shorten it to 'c:\cont.tps' and it still runs fine.

Well, strange things happen here.
For the app in question I used an old dict that the "old" application was
created from. I didn't change anything. The old app is running (Win16),
no doubt. With "con.tps". Unbelievable but true.

In the dict, I changed the path to "c:\test.tps". System crashed. It crashed
whenever I supplied a path of any kind, no matter wether using variables
or directly. That's why I was completely going bananas.
Now, I defined the file anew, field by field, gave it a different name. Used
"c:\con.tps", system crashed. Used "c:\DontBelieveIt.tps". System...
went on. Tried again the old file, supplied a different path, system crashed.

I don't know why. And I'm not even interested. But I will stop worshipping
Bill Gates.
Anyway, thanks all for help.

HTH
Rak

PS. Thank god, Bill doesn't know that I never worshipped him at all >:)=)

Tue, 05 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file
Hi Arnor!

Quote:
> I created a dct with a file as closely resembling the structure you
> sent, using 'c:\con.tps' and CON as prefix.  I created a wizard app
> from this one file and my Windows95 went completely nuts when I ran
> the program!  I changed the filename to 'c:\contacts.tps' and it runs
> fine.  Shorten it to 'c:\cont.tps' and it still runs fine.

This is ODD you know. "C:\con.tps" should be legal since begins with
"C:\" and ends with ".tps."

I wonder if this is some obscure bug in the TPS File Driver??

-- Craig (The Data Ferret)
Using Virtual Access 4.02 build 244 (32-bit) in Win95
Clarion Professional Developer 2.1 / Clarion for DOS 3.x
Clarion for Windows 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 / C4b / C5 Enterprise
Btrieve / Scalable SQL / Pervasive.SQL / SQL Anywhere 5.5
"Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS...."

Tue, 05 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file
Hi Craig,

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 20:49:06 EST, Craig E Ransom

Quote:

>> I created a dct with a file as closely resembling the structure you
>> sent, using 'c:\con.tps' and CON as prefix.  I created a wizard app
>> from this one file and my Windows95 went completely nuts when I ran
>> the program!  I changed the filename to 'c:\contacts.tps' and it runs
>> fine.  Shorten it to 'c:\cont.tps' and it still runs fine.

>This is ODD you know. "C:\con.tps" should be legal since begins with
>"C:\" and ends with ".tps."

>I wonder if this is some obscure bug in the TPS File Driver??

Don't think so.  I've tried with several programs and NONE of them
allows me to create a file called con.<whatever> ANYWHERE on my disk!
They all throw "You can not use a reserved device name as a filename"
error.  Bottom line:  Don't use the dos device names as filenames!

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
[Team Topspeed - Internet Connect]
Allerup Edb
Denmark

http://www.icetips.com  (http://199.34.26.68)
UIN nr.: 2428601

Wed, 06 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file
Hi Arnor!

Quote:
> I've tried with several programs and NONE of them
> allows me to create a file called con.<whatever> ANYWHERE on my disk!
> They all throw "You can not use a reserved device name as a filename"
> error.

WOW! I just tired this in Word (definitely NOT a Clarion program<g>)
and got the same thing.

I also tried "aux.<anything>" and "prn.<anything>" using Notepad and got
the same message! It looks like all the old DOS three-letter device names
are verboten.

Interesting!

-- Craig (The Data Ferret)
Using Virtual Access 4.02 build 244 (32-bit) in Win95
Clarion Professional Developer 2.1 / Clarion for DOS 3.x
Clarion for Windows 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 / C4b / C5 Enterprise
Btrieve / Scalable SQL / Pervasive.SQL / SQL Anywhere 5.5
"Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS...."

Wed, 06 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file
Hi Arnor!

Quote:
> Bottom line:  Don't use the dos device names as filenames!

"The Naming of Files is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your programmer games!
At first, you will say I'm as mad as a hatter,
When I tell you a file CAN'T have one of THREE DOS DEVICE NAMES...."

(With apologies to "Old Possum!"<bg>)

-- Craig (The Data Ferret)
Using Virtual Access 4.02 build 244 (32-bit) in Win95
Clarion Professional Developer 2.1 / Clarion for DOS 3.x
Clarion for Windows 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 / C4b / C5 Enterprise
Btrieve / Scalable SQL / Pervasive.SQL / SQL Anywhere 5.5
"Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS...."

Wed, 06 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 C4 ABC - System crashes when giving Full Path Name for a file
Hi Craig,

On Sat, 19 Dec 1998 08:41:40 EST, Craig E Ransom

Quote:

>WOW! I just tired this in Word (definitely NOT a Clarion program<g>)
>and got the same thing.

Word97 was one of the programs I tried too;)

Quote:
>I also tried "aux.<anything>" and "prn.<anything>" using Notepad and got
>the same message! It looks like all the old DOS three-letter device names
>are verboten.

Strictly!<g>

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson