Long Filenames okay for physical filenames???
Author Message
 Long Filenames okay for physical filenames???

When filling in the filename under "Full PathName" in the data dictionary
(for TPS files) I have always limited my filenames to 8 characters. I'm not
sure why I did/do this, but is there any reason why I can't use long
filenames for my physical filenames?

Thanks - Ed Campbell
Using C55pe g

Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:45:48 GMT
 Long Filenames okay for physical filenames???
No, there isn't. Just avoid spaces.

--

Steve Parker

kb and download center at:
     www.par2.com

> When filling in the filename under "Full PathName" in the data dictionary
> (for TPS files) I have always limited my filenames to 8 characters. I'm
not
> sure why I did/do this, but is there any reason why I can't use long
> filenames for my physical filenames?

> Thanks - Ed Campbell
> Using C55pe g

Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:45:49 GMT
 Long Filenames okay for physical filenames???
Thanks Guys.

Ed

Quote:
> When filling in the filename under "Full PathName" in the data dictionary
> (for TPS files) I have always limited my filenames to 8 characters. I'm
not
> sure why I did/do this, but is there any reason why I can't use long
> filenames for my physical filenames?

> Thanks - Ed Campbell
> Using C55pe g

Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:45:59 GMT
 Long Filenames okay for physical filenames???
I avoid other than 8 char names because some typically older novel networks
dont support long file names.
jim kane

Quote:
> When filling in the filename under "Full PathName" in the data dictionary
> (for TPS files) I have always limited my filenames to 8 characters. I'm
not
> sure why I did/do this, but is there any reason why I can't use long
> filenames for my physical filenames?

> Thanks - Ed Campbell
> Using C55pe g

Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:45:56 GMT
 Long Filenames okay for physical filenames???
There is also the danger of losing Long Filename support.  In which case
c:\yada\mylongfilename.tps ends up c:\yada\mylong~1.tps which can be quite
dangerous.

--
Ian Holdsworth
Senior Programmer / Assistant IT Manager

Direct Line:      +44 (0) 20 8880 8866
Switch Board:  +44 (0) 20 8880 8140
Fax:                 +44 (0) 0870 134 0987

Web Site:         www.ram-ltd.co.uk

Quote:
> Thanks Guys.

> Ed

> > When filling in the filename under "Full PathName" in the data
dictionary
> > (for TPS files) I have always limited my filenames to 8 characters. I'm
> not
> > sure why I did/do this, but is there any reason why I can't use long
> > filenames for my physical filenames?

> > Thanks - Ed Campbell
> > Using C55pe g

Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:46:42 GMT

1. DOS 8.3 filenames (how to remove long filenames header)

2. Library os.path.isfile(filename) - long filenames error.

3. How to Specify Variable FileName(!FileName)In Report

4. Using variable filename(!FILENAME)

5. REQUIRES filename (NEEDS filename)

6. Adding PC Filename Extensions to Macintosh Filenames

7. long-to-short dir/filenames

8. Osx long filenames truncated

9. VW2.0 under Win 95 + long filenames?

10. Long Filenames

11. Spaces in Directory Names - Long Filenames

12. Long Filenames in Clarion