Returning to Clarion
Author Message
 Returning to Clarion

To All,
    I used Clarion a long time ago back in the DOS days and stuck with it
throug about V2.  I purchased V4 when it came out, but my life was moving in
a different direction at that time and I never had time to work with it.  I
just bought V5.5pe this week and feel like I have to learn it all over
again.
    My question to you all is, are there any really good books out there
that cover Clarion V5.5.  I am looking for something like (Learn Clarion 5.5
in 24 Hour, or 21 days, or somthing like that).  I appreciate any help you
all can provide.  Thanks!

Brian M. Byers

Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:45:50 GMT
 Returning to Clarion
Do the tutorials. Twice. Subscribe to www.clarionmag.com

--

Steve Parker

Knowledge base: www.par2.com/cws/c5launch.dll/faqs/theFaqs.exe.0
Download Center: www.cwicweb.com/apps/c5launch.dll/d7.exe.0

Quote:
> To All,
>     I used Clarion a long time ago back in the DOS days and stuck with it
> throug about V2.  I purchased V4 when it came out, but my life was moving
in
> a different direction at that time and I never had time to work with it.
> just bought V5.5pe this week and feel like I have to learn it all over
> again.
>     My question to you all is, are there any really good books out there
> that cover Clarion V5.5.  I am looking for something like (Learn Clarion
5.5
> in 24 Hour, or 21 days, or somthing like that).  I appreciate any help you
> all can provide.  Thanks!

> Brian M. Byers

Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:15:09 GMT
 Returning to Clarion
Use this Newsgroup for questions. Excellent resource.
There are lotsa Clarion web sites popping up all over the place too.

--
Kind regards,
James Cooke

Quote:
> To All,
>     I used Clarion a long time ago back in the DOS days and stuck with it
> throug about V2.  I purchased V4 when it came out, but my life was moving
in
> a different direction at that time and I never had time to work with it.
> just bought V5.5pe this week and feel like I have to learn it all over
> again.
>     My question to you all is, are there any really good books out there
> that cover Clarion V5.5.  I am looking for something like (Learn Clarion
5.5
> in 24 Hour, or 21 days, or somthing like that).  I appreciate any help you
> all can provide.  Thanks!

> Brian M. Byers

Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:23:42 GMT
 Returning to Clarion
Hi Brian,

See www.accpro.com.sg/clarion for some links which may interest you.

Thanks.

Kelvin Chua
SINGAPORE

Quote:
> To All,
>     I used Clarion a long time ago back in the DOS days and stuck with it
> throug about V2.  I purchased V4 when it came out, but my life was moving
in
> a different direction at that time and I never had time to work with it.
> just bought V5.5pe this week and feel like I have to learn it all over
> again.
>     My question to you all is, are there any really good books out there
> that cover Clarion V5.5.  I am looking for something like (Learn Clarion
5.5
> in 24 Hour, or 21 days, or somthing like that).  I appreciate any help you
> all can provide.  Thanks!

> Brian M. Byers

Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:22:46 GMT
 Returning to Clarion
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 22:45:50 -0500, "Brian Byers"

Quote:

>    My question to you all is, are there any really good books out there
>that cover Clarion V5.5.  I am looking for something like (Learn Clarion 5.5
>in 24 Hour, or 21 days, or somthing like that).  I appreciate any help you
>all can provide.  Thanks!

One thing hasn't changed since DOS days (been there too) Clarion
programmers don't write books, they write programs. <VBG>

Two good books for getting started would be "Clarion for Dummies"
which is really outdated, it refers to version 1.5, but it still has
some decent insights even though it uses Legacy templates and Legacy
code. Another good one is Randy Goodhew's "Clarion Companion", also
outdated now, but Randy's code is clear, concise and extremely
educational anyway. Also, at the SV site there is a "Learning your
ABC's" PDF file that may help clarify some of the differences between
procedural code and ABC(OOP) code.

The core language is still pretty much the same. The template code
generation takes a little time to get a handle on, but is truly worth
the effort.

Subscribe to Clarion Magazine www.clarionmagazine.com as it is the
best resource for keeping current. If you can afford it, buy ALL of
the back issues, there is some excellent ground that has been covered
over the years.

There are some excellent websites avaialble which others have already
mentioned for you. Also, go to Tom Ruby's Clarion Connection at
www.tomruby.com/clarion

Log on to the Soft Velocity news server which is listed on the SV
website. sign up for whatever newsgroups are appropriate for you, and
also to Chat if you REALLY want to waste your time. <VBG>

There is an IRC session but I don't have the times for it, a post to
most newsgroups asking for the times and location will give you that.

We are an extremely net oriented crowd these days. Oh yes... Welcome
back!

Best Regards
Richard

The AppInit Template Set

www.powertech.no/~sylkie

Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:45:52 GMT
 Returning to Clarion
Brian,

Welcome back!

First of all, subscribe to the SoftVelocity newsgroups.  Don't rely on just
this one.  There are many good reasons why, none why not.

that makes books obsolete <G>.

After doing the tutorials, ask some silly questions on the SV newsgroups
(gives you some experience plus a chance to meet and possibly remeet some
familiar faces <g>).

Take a educational class from SV.
--
Russ

To All,
    I used Clarion a long time ago back in the DOS days and stuck with it
throug about V2.  I purchased V4 when it came out, but my life was moving in
a different direction at that time and I never had time to work with it.  I
just bought V5.5pe this week and feel like I have to learn it all over
again.
    My question to you all is, are there any really good books out there
that cover Clarion V5.5.  I am looking for something like (Learn Clarion 5.5
in 24 Hour, or 21 days, or somthing like that).  I appreciate any help you
all can provide.  Thanks!

Brian M. Byers

Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:09:28 GMT
 Returning to Clarion
Two classes (foundations and essentials) are available on CD right now.
Mastery is being split, probably, into more than one CD.  The company is
working on training and certification over the web--excellent helps.  In one
instance, I needed hands-on help RIGHT NOW.  The training CD was almost like
hiring someone to do it for me now AND show me how to do it next time.

--
Kent V. Busse, J.D.
A:COMPUTER.WIZ

  Outsourcing for results!

Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:50:23 GMT

1. How do I return values from Clarion DLL

2. CLARION?CLARION!CLARION!!

3. Getting Return Key to Not Send Return Character?

4. Return selected application window on mousedown and return to Realbasic

5. return -code return doesn't play nice with set

6. RETURN / RETURN-FROM and values

7. Printing a Memo file in Clarion 2003-1 clarion for windows

8. Clarion Professional 4 and 5, Clarion for DOS

9. Clarion Online Full Archive Now Available - Clarion Magazine, October 17, 2000

10. ATTN ALL UK CLARION PROGRAMMERS - ANNOUNCEMENT - CLARION TRAINING

11. Convert Clarion 2.0 app to Clarion 5.5 apps.

12. Drag and drop, Clarion to non-Clarion app