Adding Child Record to a Child file during Update
Author Message
 Adding Child Record to a Child file during Update

When I have an update form, with a browse showing child records, how
do I preserve the values in the parent update record when I call an
update for a child record?

When I return from updating a child record, all of the parent record's
fields have been cleared. Is there a simple way of preventing this?

b. rgds.

Richard

Tue, 03 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Adding Child Record to a Child file during Update

Quote:

>When I have an update form, with a browse showing child records, how
>do I preserve the values in the parent update record when I call an
>update for a child record?
>When I return from updating a child record, all of the parent record's
>fields have been cleared. Is there a simple way of preventing this?
>b. rgds.
>Richard

I've been having an identical problem and decided to work on it today
when I read your message. For me at least the problem was that in the
Childs update procedure I had the Parent file set as a related file in
the "Files". Whenever the window was refreshed the parent file was
refreshed also. Since my changes were in memory, and it refreshes from
the saved record it would zap my changes.

The Fix:  I just took out the parent file from the "Update record on
disk" and moved it to "Other Files". Since the correct record is
already loaded there's no need for priming or anything. It seems to
work fine now.
I think that I've tested it pretty thoroughly, but if you run into any
bugs or problems with that method then please let me know.

        Hope it helps,
                -Tom.

p.s.- Aardvark has two 'a's. :)

Tue, 03 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Adding Child Record to a Child file during Update

Quote:

>When I have an update form, with a browse showing child records, how
>do I preserve the values in the parent update record when I call an
>update for a child record?
>When I return from updating a child record, all of the parent record's
>fields have been cleared. Is there a simple way of preventing this?
>b. rgds.
>Richard

Unknown

Tue, 03 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Add Child Record Within New Parent Record form.

2. Adding child records for a newly inserted parent record (CW2003)

3. SQL - adding child record from parent form

4. Adding child clears parent record

5. Child records on an update form

6. C4b: Error:ViewOpenError after returning from update child-record

7. How to update a child record

8. I have Update Form (parent file) with Browse List (child file)

9. CW4 Writing to a parent file from child file's update form

10. Reports with One Parent and Two Child files(multiple records eacy)

11. How to Prevent delete of child records in related file

12. Cloning a record and child records