new hard drive / which file system?
Author Message
 new hard drive / which file system?

Just plugged in my new 120Gb hard disk.  Gateway told me system max is 132Gb
and the original drive is 13Gb, so the new drive IS compatible with my
four-year-old system (just upgraded to 384Mb RAM).  I upgraded to WindowsXP
a year ago and love it.

WindowsXP detects the new drive and says it is working perfectly.
Partitioning instructions tell me to choose the file system.  It sounds as
if I have to use Diskpart under Recovery Console.
*********
Fat32:  XP says I will have to use 4 partitions (max 32Gb).  Maybe not a big
deal.

NTFS:  sounds easiest, is highly recommended.
**********
NOTE:  I have a Microsoft Windows peer-to-peer LAN (MS client for networks).
The other two computers are running Windows98SE.  Will I be able to share
the new drive if it is one 120Gb NTFS partition?  (Does the LAN client
provide an interface as long as the HOST computer can read the drive?)

Is there any CLARION reason to choose one system or the other?  Does either
alternative lock me out of any of Clarion's possibilities?

[It is YEARS since I've installed a hard drive--please pardon my inability
to keep up with things.]

I'm sure Gateway would walk me through this (they have been wonderful), but
they won't have any idea about my Clarion needs.

--
Kent V. Busse, J.D.
A:COMPUTER.WIZ

  Outsourcing for results!

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 07:05:33 GMT
 new hard drive / which file system?
Kent,

You'll probably get many different opinions. I've been using NTFS for quite
some time and have not had any problems with it.  I use it under both
Windows 2000 Professional and Server's and XP Professional without any
problems.

Michael Gould

Quote:
> Just plugged in my new 120Gb hard disk.  Gateway told me system max is
132Gb
> and the original drive is 13Gb, so the new drive IS compatible with my
> four-year-old system (just upgraded to 384Mb RAM).  I upgraded to
WindowsXP
> a year ago and love it.

> WindowsXP detects the new drive and says it is working perfectly.
> Partitioning instructions tell me to choose the file system.  It sounds as
> if I have to use Diskpart under Recovery Console.
> *********
> Fat32:  XP says I will have to use 4 partitions (max 32Gb).  Maybe not a
big
> deal.

> NTFS:  sounds easiest, is highly recommended.
> **********
> NOTE:  I have a Microsoft Windows peer-to-peer LAN (MS client for
networks).
> The other two computers are running Windows98SE.  Will I be able to share
> the new drive if it is one 120Gb NTFS partition?  (Does the LAN client
> provide an interface as long as the HOST computer can read the drive?)

> Is there any CLARION reason to choose one system or the other?  Does
either
> alternative lock me out of any of Clarion's possibilities?

> [It is YEARS since I've installed a hard drive--please pardon my inability
> to keep up with things.]

> I'm sure Gateway would walk me through this (they have been wonderful),
but
> they won't have any idea about my Clarion needs.

> --
> Kent V. Busse, J.D.
> A:COMPUTER.WIZ

>   Outsourcing for results!

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 07:39:11 GMT
 new hard drive / which file system?
Michael,

I think the key here is his Peer-to-Peer running 98.
Win98 will not be able to handle the NTFS drives.

Kent, time to move those machines to 2000 or XP :)

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 07:59:12 GMT
 new hard drive / which file system?
I beg to differ! The fact that a drive is formatted as NTFS under W2K has no
bearing on the Win98 client - assuming the drive is 'shared' under W2K.

Most of my servers have NTFS partitions (mostly for the compression) and
shared drives / folders on them are used without any problems by Win95 and
Win98SE clients.

Quote:
> Michael,

> I think the key here is his Peer-to-Peer running 98.
> Win98 will not be able to handle the NTFS drives.

> Kent, time to move those machines to 2000 or XP :)

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 08:50:50 GMT
 new hard drive / which file system?
Tough call Kent;

Conventional wisdom says do the NTFS on the XP machine ... it's native and
has relatively few problems. The XP/2K/NT environment, at least as I
understand it, has a purposeful limitation of 32 Gb partition size. I
partition FAT32 40/50/80 Gb drives under Win Me/98 all of the time! So it's
just a limit set by the OS vendor, probably to getcha to go with NTFS.

Here's the problem ... with some Clarion applications, performance can be
very slow hosting shared .TPS files on NTFS. Enabling Oplocks & write cache
improves performance but can cause data corruption. Not only that, but the
only product that I know of on the market that can do a low-level repair of
a hard disk, Spin Rite 5, only works on FAT32. Also, I think you run into
problems "ghosting" if you use NTFS as opposed to FAT32.

One solution that I've used has been to place a small NTFS drive that
contains the OS and frequently used components. Then, a large (100 GB+)
partitioned FAT32 data drive as a second drive. The first partition of the
second drive is only large enough to contain the virtual memory file. It's
located right at the front of the disk. The rest of the disk contains
primarily data and programs. The drive can be ghosted to a third backup
drive it necessary, and preventively repaired with SpinRite to prevent
crashes and the like. And no performance degradation with TPS files.

The whole thing is kinda dumb ... I'm going to experiment a lot soon and
will post the results. I'm also thinking of giving up the fight, and
installing LINUX / SAMBA on a server and going with that technique.

FWIW

Greg

.

Quote:
> Just plugged in my new 120Gb hard disk.  Gateway told me system max is
132Gb
> and the original drive is 13Gb, so the new drive IS compatible with my
> four-year-old system (just upgraded to 384Mb RAM).  I upgraded to
WindowsXP
> a year ago and love it.

> WindowsXP detects the new drive and says it is working perfectly.
> Partitioning instructions tell me to choose the file system.  It sounds as
> if I have to use Diskpart under Recovery Console.
> *********
> Fat32:  XP says I will have to use 4 partitions (max 32Gb).  Maybe not a
big
> deal.

> NTFS:  sounds easiest, is highly recommended.
> **********
> NOTE:  I have a Microsoft Windows peer-to-peer LAN (MS client for
networks).
> The other two computers are running Windows98SE.  Will I be able to share
> the new drive if it is one 120Gb NTFS partition?  (Does the LAN client
> provide an interface as long as the HOST computer can read the drive?)

> Is there any CLARION reason to choose one system or the other?  Does
either
> alternative lock me out of any of Clarion's possibilities?

> [It is YEARS since I've installed a hard drive--please pardon my inability
> to keep up with things.]

> I'm sure Gateway would walk me through this (they have been wonderful),
but
> they won't have any idea about my Clarion needs.

> --
> Kent V. Busse, J.D.
> A:COMPUTER.WIZ

>   Outsourcing for results!

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 13:24:33 GMT
 new hard drive / which file system?
I agree, the only time you need to worry about that is if you have a dual
boot and one is Win98.
Even then, there are utilities and programs available to allow Win98 to read
(and maybe write) to NTFS.

Quote:
> I beg to differ! The fact that a drive is formatted as NTFS under W2K has
no
> bearing on the Win98 client - assuming the drive is 'shared' under W2K.

> Most of my servers have NTFS partitions (mostly for the compression) and
> shared drives / folders on them are used without any problems by Win95 and
> Win98SE clients.

> > Michael,

> > I think the key here is his Peer-to-Peer running 98.
> > Win98 will not be able to handle the NTFS drives.

> > Kent, time to move those machines to 2000 or XP :)

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 22:21:34 GMT
 new hard drive / which file system?

Quote:

> I agree, the only time you need to worry about that is if you have a dual
> boot and one is Win98.

That is the reason why I have NTFS on my disk. My brother goes into W98 to
play games, and there is no way he can do any harm to anything on NTFS
partition.
Acording to shares, Client computer gets info about the disk from the host,
not directly accessing the disk...

Quote:
> Even then, there are utilities and programs available to allow Win98 to
read
> (and maybe write) to NTFS.

> > I beg to differ! The fact that a drive is formatted as NTFS under W2K
has
> no
> > bearing on the Win98 client - assuming the drive is 'shared' under W2K.

> > Most of my servers have NTFS partitions (mostly for the compression) and
> > shared drives / folders on them are used without any problems by Win95
and
> > Win98SE clients.

> > > Michael,

> > > I think the key here is his Peer-to-Peer running 98.
> > > Win98 will not be able to handle the NTFS drives.

> > > Kent, time to move those machines to 2000 or XP :)

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 22:31:36 GMT

1. Help: XL1201 + new hard drive = What next?

2. Deleting Files on the hard drive from a Directory Queue

3. cannot find device or file error when installing 6.1 from cd or from hard drive

4. Really need a function to search hard drive for a file - anyone help

5. Viewing hard drive contents and selecting file?

6. New File/Hard disk functions

7. Drive A is using MS-Dos Compatibility Mode File System -- NEED HELP --

8. Parallel computing (and hard drive space...)

9. Want to put REALbasic back on my hard drive

10. How can I read the Hard drive's Serial Number

11. ID of hard drive

12. Hard Drive Information