Missing dictionary files
Author Message
 Missing dictionary files

Greetings,

I recently was given the task to look at a clarion application written
by a consultant and after some problems he has left the project.  To
make a long story short he took the application with him.

We where left with the running application and not much else.  I have
no knowledge of Clarion but I am evaluating the continuation of the
project.

One thing I can't seem to find is how can I get the data into another
format other then TPS for the near future so we can insure we have it
for future use.  Without the dictionary files I cannot seem to export
them.  I might be missing something because I am not a Clarion
programmer.

Dan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 08 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Missing dictionary files
Without the dictionary file I think you are stuck. Except, you can recreate
the dictionary file (.dct).

One way to recreate the dictionary is import it from a dictionary text file
(.txd). That would be ideal (you don't lose anything), but I suspect you
don't have that either.

The other way is to import each of the data files (.tps). You would lose a
lot of the dictionary knowledge including any relationships. Hopefully you
have the passwords although they can be easily retrieved from the .exe file.

If all you want to do is convert the files to another format, then all you
need to do is import the data files and run a convert utility on each one.

HTH.

Bob
Certified Clarion Developer
Las Vegas, USA.

Quote:

> Greetings,

> I recently was given the task to look at a clarion application written
> by a consultant and after some problems he has left the project.  To
> make a long story short he took the application with him.

> We where left with the running application and not much else.  I have
> no knowledge of Clarion but I am evaluating the continuation of the
> project.

> One thing I can't seem to find is how can I get the data into another
> format other then TPS for the near future so we can insure we have it
> for future use.  Without the dictionary files I cannot seem to export
> them.  I might be missing something because I am not a Clarion
> programmer.

> Dan

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sun, 08 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Missing dictionary files
Hi, Dan,

I am not sure if there is any way of converting a TPS file into another
format.  One method I can think of is: if you still have the Clarion S/W in
your system, then you can do what you are trying to do even if you do not
have the application source code and dictionary.

1.  Browse your TPS file using Clarion in MS/Explore.  It will show the
field names and contents.

2.  Create a Clarion dictionary as if you were creating a new Clarion
application.  Create a TPS file in the dictionary using the information that
you found in Step 1, plus another file in the format that you would like to
export in the future such as DOS, ASCII, or BASIC.

3.  Create a simple application to export the TPS file to the other file
format of your interest.  (This part will need some basic Clarion
programming knowledge.)

Good Luck!  - Tong

Quote:

> Greetings,

> I recently was given the task to look at a clarion application written
> by a consultant and after some problems he has left the project.  To
> make a long story short he took the application with him.

> We where left with the running application and not much else.  I have
> no knowledge of Clarion but I am evaluating the continuation of the
> project.

> One thing I can't seem to find is how can I get the data into another
> format other then TPS for the near future so we can insure we have it
> for future use.  Without the dictionary files I cannot seem to export
> them.  I might be missing something because I am not a Clarion
> programmer.

> Dan

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sun, 08 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Missing dictionary files
It is no problem to do this. I have done it 3 times after having the same
thing you discribed happen to my company.

If you cant figure it out, let me know - I can help you.
I am going away fore 2 weeks, so I have no time to explain right now - but
I'll check in here again when I get back.

I made a program that does this !! It is posible to change the output
fileformat.

Aron

Quote:

>Greetings,

>I recently was given the task to look at a clarion application written
>by a consultant and after some problems he has left the project.  To
>make a long story short he took the application with him.

>We where left with the running application and not much else.  I have
>no knowledge of Clarion but I am evaluating the continuation of the
>project.

>One thing I can't seem to find is how can I get the data into another
>format other then TPS for the near future so we can insure we have it
>for future use.  Without the dictionary files I cannot seem to export
>them.  I might be missing something because I am not a Clarion
>programmer.

>Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

>Dan

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Sun, 08 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. string formatting with missing dictionary key

2. Dictionary of dictionaries

3. Dictionary to string and back to dictionary??

4. losrt -dictionary and dictionary sorting...

5. Accessing Dictionary values from within the Dictionary

6. Missing info because of missing LF in VMS GAWK interactive mode

7. If you missed EuroDevCon '98 you wont want to miss this

8. Branch misses vs. cache misses

9. Branch misses vs. cache misses

10. reading an ASCII file without defining it in a Dictionary

11. Help-File structure without dictionary

12. C5ee dictionary file import problems