CW 1.5 (eval copy) / ODBC Driver for MS-OFFICE
Author Message
 CW 1.5 (eval copy) / ODBC Driver for MS-OFFICE

        I'm getting an error trying to setup ODBC connections to an
        MS-Access database.  The error is, 'You are trying to use an ODBC
        driver that works with MS-Office only.. contact MicroSoft for a
        working driver'.  Using the CW 1.5 eval edition, I'm trying to
        import a file into the dictionary indicating ODBC then selecting
        the Access ODBC driver.  Am I in the right ball-park here?

        I'm trying to build a case to move app development in the
        TS/Clarion direction here at the office.  Currently using MS-Office
        on the desktop.  On our AS/400 we do RPG.  On the VAX we do COBOL.
        On the PC our Corporate Tools R&D area are leaning towards VB and
        Access for the interface and C/C++ for the guts.

        For our division of the company (we are one of many, but seem to be
        drifting away for Corporate IS control), I don't believe the
        VB/Access route is the best for Core Business Applications.  To
        show that Clarion can access a variety of data, I'd like to use the
        ODBC interface to setup a demo using an Access database.  I'd be
        interested in the AS/400 native drivers for Clarion later on.

        So how do I get this 'Working Driver'?  Also, any comments from
        users of CW and AS/400 databases would be appreciated.

        Thanks,

        John Farmer

Tue, 13 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 CW 1.5 (eval copy) / ODBC Driver for MS-OFFICE

John,

You need to get the stand alone ODBC kit from Microsoft.  The ODBC supplied
with Office has been supeceded.

The AS400 driver is no longer available for CW, but I have read here that it
is being re-considerd for version CW 2.0.

Try to get hold of an experienced CW programmer in your area to demonstrate
CW to your team.  The real power of CW for your situation is going to be the
ease of implementation of a project and ease of maintenance, since the code
and program design are very clearly visible to any experienced CW
programmer.  The benefits are quicker development and less risk if you
happen to lose the developer of a key application.

Cheers,  geoff B

Quote:
>        I'm getting an error trying to setup ODBC connections to an
>        MS-Access database.  The error is, 'You are trying to use an ODBC
>        driver that works with MS-Office only.. contact MicroSoft for a
>        working driver'.  Using the CW 1.5 eval edition, I'm trying to
>        import a file into the dictionary indicating ODBC then selecting
>        the Access ODBC driver.  Am I in the right ball-park here?

>        I'm trying to build a case to move app development in the
>        TS/Clarion direction here at the office.  Currently using MS-Office
>        on the desktop.  On our AS/400 we do RPG.  On the VAX we do COBOL.
>        On the PC our Corporate Tools R&D area are leaning towards VB and
>        Access for the interface and C/C++ for the guts.

>        For our division of the company (we are one of many, but seem to be
>        drifting away for Corporate IS control), I don't believe the
>        VB/Access route is the best for Core Business Applications.  To
>        show that Clarion can access a variety of data, I'd like to use the
>        ODBC interface to setup a demo using an Access database.  I'd be
>        interested in the AS/400 native drivers for Clarion later on.

>        So how do I get this 'Working Driver'?  Also, any comments from
>        users of CW and AS/400 databases would be appreciated.

>        Thanks,

>        John Farmer

       _______________________________

                Geoff Bomford
                 ComForMark
       Computer services For Marketing

            Phone: 612 9997 4251
            Sydney,    Australia
       _______________________________

Tue, 13 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 CW 1.5 (eval copy) / ODBC Driver for MS-OFFICE

Quote:

>        I'm getting an error trying to setup ODBC connections to an
>        MS-Access database.  The error is, 'You are trying to use an ODBC
>        driver that works with MS-Office only.. contact MicroSoft for a
>        working driver'.  Using the CW 1.5 eval edition, I'm trying to
>        import a file into the dictionary indicating ODBC then selecting
>        the Access ODBC driver.  Am I in the right ball-park here?

John,

        You are doing things properly.  But you need to get the proper ODBC
driver from microsoft.  I beleive it is about $10 + shipping.  You
might have the proper ODBC driver on your VB, VC++ or other microsoft
programming language disk take a look and install them if you do have
them.  The drivers are also on the MicroSoft Developer Network disks.

Troy

Fri, 16 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. CW 1.5, ODBC Driver error

2. CW 1.5 with MS SQL Server (ODBC)

3. CW 1.5/2.0 and ODBC to MS/Access 2.0

4. Really need old CW 1.5 copy

5. ODBC and CW 1.5

6. AS 400 Driver and CW 1.5

7. BIG problems with ODBC and CW 1.5 (again)

8. TopSpeed ODBC-driver and Office 97

9. If you have problems installing CW 2.0 with a CW 1.5 diskette

10. CW 1.5 to CW 2.0 Conversion?

11. CW 2.0 vs. CW 1.5