Why No OLE automation interface? 
Author Message
 Why No OLE automation interface?

I've just added spell checking to my application using Visual
Components Visual Speller.  Works great on my machine where I'm
developing. (I'm compiling in 16 bits).  But when I move the APP over
to another machine with all the files the documentation calls for I
get a
No ole automation interface
message back.
After doing a full install of the Visual Speller files on the client
machine it works fine.  I also have no trouble running the program
over the network from my machine.  Seems like the critical thing is
having the OCX reference in the Win95 registry??  But I don't think
that should be necessary, should it? (I'm a complete novice in this
area).
What am I missing here?
Any help appreciated.
TIA
----------------------
Jon Waterhouse
Andy Rowe Consultants,
St. John's NF



Tue, 31 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Why No OLE automation interface?


Quote:

>I've just added spell checking to my application using Visual
>Components Visual Speller.  Works great on my machine where I'm
>developing. (I'm compiling in 16 bits).  But when I move the APP over
>to another machine with all the files the documentation calls for I
>get a
>No ole automation interface
>message back.
>After doing a full install of the Visual Speller files on the client
>machine it works fine.  I also have no trouble running the program
>over the network from my machine.  Seems like the critical thing is
>having the OCX reference in the Win95 registry??  But I don't think
>that should be necessary, should it? (I'm a complete novice in this
>area).
>What am I missing here?

The OCX needs to be registered.

Also, a GREAT tool to use along with the Visual Speller OCX is the
template that Mike Pickus wrote. I believe it is around 50 bucks, and
it makes it a SNAP to add the Visual Speller to your apps. Very nice.
You can get it from Topspeed.

Jeff Slarve  [Team Topspeed(CW)(Compuserve)]
(CW2002, DET 2.2, RPM, PwrBrw, CPCS, PDLookup, Ultra Tree, G-Reg, etc.) Since 1991
J & S Software Co.  http://www.deltanet.com/users/jslarve
(CIS: 73501,1323) Using Agent .99g and loving it!



Tue, 31 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Why No OLE automation interface?

Quote:
>  Seems like the critical thing is
>having the OCX reference in the Win95 registry??

Yes you are correct

Quote:
> But I don't think
>that should be necessary, should it? (I'm a complete novice in this
>area).

It is.  Consitter that the OCX is an application.  Just so happens
that your program uses that application.  It would be like a user
saying his MS Word program works on one computer but not the other.
Then you learn he only loaded MS Word on one of the PC's.

If you use an installer program to distribute your program you could
include the needed OCX programs and have it automaticly loaded and
registered.  I use a product called Wise Installer.  And have
distributed the Wang OCX and some other imaging OCX's with my product.
You really dont have to ship the origianl OCX installer that you
purchased.  Actually it might be illegal to ship your users the entire
package.  There should be some documentation with the OCX telling you
exacly what files need to be distributed.

Troy
-----------------------------
Councelor Troy [TTS net]



Tue, 31 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Why No OLE automation interface?


Quote:

> I've just added spell checking to my application using Visual
> Components Visual Speller.  Works great on my machine where I'm
> developing. (I'm compiling in 16 bits).  But when I move the APP over
> to another machine with all the files the documentation calls for I
> get a
> No ole automation interface
> message back.
> After doing a full install of the Visual Speller files on the client
> machine it works fine.  I also have no trouble running the program
> over the network from my machine.  Seems like the critical thing is
> having the OCX reference in the Win95 registry??  But I don't think
> that should be necessary, should it? (I'm a complete novice in this
> area).
> What am I missing here?
> Any help appreciated.
> TIA
> ----------------------
> Jon Waterhouse
> Andy Rowe Consultants,
> St. John's NF

How about a template for VisualSpeller? It handles this and much more.
Download MAPSpell.zip from Icetips.com or from the TopSpeed forum on
CompuServe. The current version is on Compuserve. SWREG 14781. Soon to
be availble from TopSpeed.


Tue, 31 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Why No OLE automation interface?

Quote:

>The OCX needs to be registered.
>Also, a GREAT tool to use along with the Visual Speller OCX is the
>template that Mike Pickus wrote. I believe it is around 50 bucks, and
>it makes it a SNAP to add the Visual Speller to your apps. Very nice.
>You can get it from Topspeed.

Thanks Jeff.  Found they had a copy of regsvr on the installation
disk.  Still didn't work until I copied over the license file.
Neither of these things documented in the help file.  Don't know if I
need the template -- already have it doing pretty much what I want
(basic spell-checking and ability to read from/ add to a custom dict.
Borrowed from CTLOLE.TPW and wrote a little #CODE template to add into
the accepted embed point of the memo & text fields.

Quote:
>Jeff Slarve  [Team Topspeed(CW)(Compuserve)]
>(CW2002, DET 2.2, RPM, PwrBrw, CPCS, PDLookup, Ultra Tree, G-Reg, etc.) Since 1991
>J & S Software Co.  http://www.deltanet.com/users/jslarve
>(CIS: 73501,1323) Using Agent .99g and loving it!

----------------------
Jon Waterhouse
Andy Rowe Consultants,
St. John's NF


Tue, 31 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Why No OLE automation interface?


Quote:
>Also, a GREAT tool to use along with the Visual Speller OCX is the
>template that Mike Pickus wrote. I believe it is around 50 bucks, and
>it makes it a SNAP to add the Visual Speller to your apps. Very nice.
>You can get it from Topspeed.

Its a well worth addon, just like your memo mail merge utility Jeff!
<PLUG PLUG>

Colin Wynn (Team TopSpeed Internet!)
----------

CMW Software Design, Development & Support

  CIS: 100520,552
Phone: 01420 473637



Tue, 31 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Why No OLE automation interface?

I am pretty sure that this is a bug with OCX implementation in versions of CW prior to CW
2.002, or CW 2.003 - which required distribution of the OCX licence with the application.


    Geoff Bomford
     ComForMark
  Sydney, Australia



Wed, 01 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Why No OLE automation interface?

Quote:

>I am pretty sure that this is a bug with OCX implementation in versions of CW prior to CW
>2.002, or CW 2.003 - which required distribution of the OCX licence with the application.

I have 2.003b but I had already found that the only way to get it to
work was to copy
the .LIC file over to the target machine.  So this is a Clarion bug?
I thought maybe it
was incomplete documentation of the OCX.  No problem for now really.
The APP I need it
for is currently for in-house use only, but in the future...

Thanks

----------------------
Jon Waterhouse
Andy Rowe Consultants,
St. John's NF



Fri, 03 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 8 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. OLE Automation Interface

2. Rational Rose OLE Automation problem

3. How to set object class type for OLE automation

4. COM OLE Automation DATE type

5. USING OLE AUTOMATION

6. Ole Automation Client for QuickBooks

7. OLE Automation Server Calling Issue

8. OLE Automation with Netsacpe in ObjectStudio

9. Implementing an Ole Automation controller in Smalltalk MT 2.61

10. OLE Automation and the Clarion Property Sintax

11. OLE Automation

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software