Slow Browses
Author Message
 Slow Browses

I just finished a conversion from Legacy to ABC. The speed is ok on the
development workstation. However, accessing the data files across a Windows
95 network is another story. The browses are very slow to display. After
changing or adding a record several seconds will pass before the browse
refreshes. This was not a  problem with the legacy templates. I don't think
this is a network problem as this application is the only one behaving this
way.

I need some suggestions,

Thank you,

Fri, 19 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Slow Browses
Quote:

> After
> changing or adding a record several seconds will pass before the browse
> refreshes. This was not a  problem with the legacy templates.

Do you mean the browse on the same workstation as where the updates were
done does not refresh -or- do you mean the new records added on one work
station do not appear on another workstation for a while?  The latter is
expected - abc browses do not flush the view often. If you want to have
the view flushed more often you could do it with a timer or a refresh
button. The code is simple flush(brw1.view);thiswindow.reset(1).
--------
Jim Kane  - TeamTopSpeed
Productive Software Solutions
Can't Find that Message?
Get Organized, Get ForKeeps!
www.fkeeps.com

Fri, 19 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Slow Browses
The problem occurs on the workstation making the change. To be more
specific, when a browse is opened only the top bar will appear for several
seconds. Then the rest of the browse displays with the records. It is like
the file is being read, but I only have about 2000 records in the file so
that should not be the problem
 Thanks,

Quote:

> > After
> > changing or adding a record several seconds will pass before the browse
> > refreshes. This was not a  problem with the legacy templates.

> Do you mean the browse on the same workstation as where the updates were
> done does not refresh -or- do you mean the new records added on one work
> station do not appear on another workstation for a while?  The latter is
> expected - abc browses do not flush the view often. If you want to have
> the view flushed more often you could do it with a timer or a refresh
> button. The code is simple flush(brw1.view);thiswindow.reset(1).
> --------
> Jim Kane  - TeamTopSpeed
> Productive Software Solutions
> Can't Find that Message?
> Get Organized, Get ForKeeps!
> www.fkeeps.com

Fri, 19 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Slow Browses
Quote:

> The problem occurs on the workstation making the change. To be more
> specific, when a browse is opened only the top bar will appear for several
> seconds. Then the rest of the browse displays with the records. It is like
> the file is being read, but I only have about 2000 records in the file so
> that should not be the problem

Sorry, dont have a clue unless there is a filter/range error that is causing
the view engine to not be able to use a key.  You may want to clarify the
original message and repost. Maybe someone else will have an idea.
--------
Jim Kane  - TeamTopSpeed
Productive Software Solutions
Can't Find that Message?
Get Organized, Get ForKeeps!
www.fkeeps.com

Sat, 20 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Slow Browses
Just a stab in the dark, do you have any embeded code that forces
ThisWindow.Reset? If you do these in just the right spots, They can cause a
dramatic slow down in a browse.

Ken Watts

Quote:

>> The problem occurs on the workstation making the change. To be more
>> specific, when a browse is opened only the top bar will appear for
several
>> seconds. Then the rest of the browse displays with the records. It is
like
>> the file is being read, but I only have about 2000 records in the file so
>> that should not be the problem

>Sorry, dont have a clue unless there is a filter/range error that is
causing
>the view engine to not be able to use a key.  You may want to clarify the
>original message and repost. Maybe someone else will have an idea.
>--------
>Jim Kane  - TeamTopSpeed
>Productive Software Solutions
>Can't Find that Message?
>Get Organized, Get ForKeeps!
>www.fkeeps.com

Sun, 21 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Darn too slow Browse on only 32,767 records

2. Slow Browse Over ISDN Link (The Next Chapter)

3. Slow Browse

4. Slow Browse with MS-SQL / ODBC....

5. Slow Browse on Form

6. Slow Browses