2.01 Comma delimited ASCII file
Author Message
 2.01 Comma delimited ASCII file

Although we are using the new Windows versions,
we still use 2.1 DOS version for some of our
internal applications related to data collection
and analysis, where no user interface is
required.  I needed to write some new code, and
it has been a while.  I have some ASCII  files,
+650 characters long, the pattern is :
"43939,444,0,0,333,39" etc.  Some time ago I
wrote a program that would open this as an ASCII-
DOS file and assign each of the fields delimited
with a comma to a separate field in the DOS file.
I originally set up the fields in the data
structure as real numbers, have also tried
others, but it will not work.  It will assign
data if I use strings for the fields, but fills
each of the string fields to the maxiumum number
of spaces rather than just the numbers between
the commas.  What am I missing?  Thanks for any
help you can provide.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 13 Apr 2003 09:22:12 GMT
 2.01 Comma delimited ASCII file
Try to clip(field)

Regards

Quote:
> Although we are using the new Windows versions,
> we still use 2.1 DOS version for some of our
> internal applications related to data collection
> and analysis, where no user interface is
> required.  I needed to write some new code, and
> it has been a while.  I have some ASCII  files,
> +650 characters long, the pattern is :
> "43939,444,0,0,333,39" etc.  Some time ago I
> wrote a program that would open this as an ASCII-
> DOS file and assign each of the fields delimited
> with a comma to a separate field in the DOS file.
> I originally set up the fields in the data
> structure as real numbers, have also tried
> others, but it will not work.  It will assign
> data if I use strings for the fields, but fills
> each of the string fields to the maxiumum number
> of spaces rather than just the numbers between
> the commas.  What am I missing?  Thanks for any
> help you can provide.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sun, 13 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Export Clarion .DAT files to ASCII comma delimited files

2. Export Clarion .DAT files to ASCII comma delimited files

3. Comma delimited ASCII

4. getting fields NOT comma delimited with commas inside

5. Parsing Comma delimited files in J

6. matching records in a comma delimited file

7. Comma delimited file problem

8. Import comma delimited text file

9. VW code to read comma-delimited text files??

10. importing from a comma delimited file

11. Comma delimited file?

12. comma delimited file