Data Dictionary Size Limits?
Author Message
 Data Dictionary Size Limits?

Is there a limitation to the size of the dictionary in terms of files and
fields?

Tue, 09 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Data Dictionary Size Limits?

Quote:
>Is there a limitation to the size of the dictionary in terms of files
and
>fields?

Yes, there is.

But what this limit is is very vague. I have heard of a dictionary that
hit problems at 80 files; and others that have 250 files with no
problems.

It depends on things like: the number of fields, the length of field
labels (keep them short!), number of relations, global variables,
equates, etc.

Regards
Malcolm Collett
------------------------------
mcollett AT iafrica DOT com
==============================

Wed, 10 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Data Dictionary Size Limits?
Malcolm,

Quote:
>Yes, there is.

That's <very> disturbing- particularly if there's no way of knowing
how close to the limit you are.

Can TopSpeed Please Respond to this:

Is there any way of determining the "Percent of Limit" you're at at
any point in time?

If you hit the limit, with no warning, an unexpected required app
redesign can be absolutely devastating.

Wed, 10 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Data Dictionary Size Limits?
I think it would be nice if the compiler (or whatever) would tell us the %
of the limit we are at (if possible).

Lynn Howard
Linked Software
http://www.linkedsoftware.com
Membership Programs for your club, church, association or nonprofit

Quote:

>Malcolm,

>>Yes, there is.

>That's <very> disturbing- particularly if there's no way of knowing
>how close to the limit you are.

>Can TopSpeed Please Respond to this:

>Is there any way of determining the "Percent of Limit" you're at at
>any point in time?

>If you hit the limit, with no warning, an unexpected required app
>redesign can be absolutely devastating.

Wed, 10 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Data Dictionary Size Limits?

Quote:
>That's <very> disturbing- particularly if there's no way of knowing
>how close to the limit you are.

>Can TopSpeed Please Respond to this:

>Is there any way of determining the "Percent of Limit" you're at at
>any point in time?

Topspeed won't respond here. I suggest you try the C5EE newsgroup. That
will be your best chance of a response.

Regards
Malcolm Collett
------------------------------
mcollett AT iafrica DOT com
==============================

Wed, 10 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Data Dictionary Size Limits?
Thanks. Will do.

Thu, 11 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Data Dictionary Size Limits?
Can anyone tell me what the name of the C5EE newsgroup is?
Maybe it isn't on my mail server,  but I can't find anything under topspeed,
Clarion, or C5EE that I think is a C5 newsgroup....
Quote:

>>That's <very> disturbing- particularly if there's no way of knowing
>>how close to the limit you are.

>>Can TopSpeed Please Respond to this:

>>Is there any way of determining the "Percent of Limit" you're at at
>>any point in time?

>Topspeed won't respond here. I suggest you try the C5EE newsgroup. That
>will be your best chance of a response.

>Regards
>Malcolm Collett
>------------------------------
>mcollett AT iafrica DOT com
>==============================

Fri, 19 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Data Dictionary Size Limits?
Topspeeds newsserver address is: tsnews.clarion.com

joe

Quote:
> Can anyone tell me what the name of the C5EE newsgroup is?
> Maybe it isn't on my mail server,  but I can't find anything under
topspeed,
> Clarion, or C5EE that I think is a C5 newsgroup....

> >>That's <very> disturbing- particularly if there's no way of knowing
> >>how close to the limit you are.

> >>Can TopSpeed Please Respond to this:
> >>--------------------------------------------------------------

> >>Is there any way of determining the "Percent of Limit" you're at at
> >>any point in time?

> >Topspeed won't respond here. I suggest you try the C5EE newsgroup. That
> >will be your best chance of a response.

> >Regards
> >Malcolm Collett
> >------------------------------
> >mcollett AT iafrica DOT com
> >==============================

Fri, 19 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Data Dictionary Size Limits?
Hi Marty,

Quote:
>Can anyone tell me what the name of the C5EE newsgroup is?
>Maybe it isn't on my mail server,  but I can't find anything under topspeed,
>Clarion, or C5EE that I think is a C5 newsgroup....

It's on the tsnews.clarion.com news server.

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
[Team Topspeed - Internet Connect]
Allerup Edb
Denmark

Check out Icetips and Icetips Knowledgebase
http://www.icetips.com
UIN nr.: 2428601

Fri, 19 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Dictionary size/speed limit?

2. ARRAY-TOTAL-SIZE-LIMIT: Need some data.

3. 2nd Posting - Problem with Global data in Data Dictionary

4. Dictionary Limit???

5. dictionary limit reached?

6. VSAM size limits?

7. DBConnection<<open connection string size limit...

8. J LIMIT ERRORS REVISITED (was J Session Manager Size)

9. POST Request size limit with VAST/Web Connection/ISAPI

10. File Size limit

11. array size limits

12. Size limits in PowerBasic?